166 2.5 Questions

Old June 17th 07, 09:51 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default 166 2.5 Questions

SteveH wrote:
> Zathras > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:59:04 GMT, Catman
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The 156 second hand market seems to be really poor ATM

>> In what respect? Rubbish cars at too high a price if you're buying or,
>> good cars at too low a price if you're selling?

> From what I've seen, the market is flooded with rough cars with issues
> at a variety of prices ranging from 'worth more as parts') to 'How
> much!?'

Ding

> Enthusiast owned cars with no problems are still holding their value.
>
> Unfortunately, Catman's has one or two issues and the silly spoiler,
> which instantly knocks 500 quid off it's value ;-)

Thrrrp

> If I were looking to buy at the moment, I'd do what Catman has done and
> buy a 166 - they tend to be not only cheaper than a decent 156, but are
> less likely to have fallen into the hands of idiots.

Indeed. Much better value as well IMHO.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2 166 V6 2.5
Suzuki Bandit 600
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 17th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Rickard

Zathras wrote:

> Hmmm..tricky. I've never met one outside of this group and a true
> 'Alfa enthusiast' may well prefer an older rear wheel drive Alfa.

There are a few who know their Lussos from their Veloces.

>> We will see, whatever happens it is still a bargain compared with A4s or
>> 3 Series etc., even a Mondeo ST.

> I don't think the price difference between the Germans and the Alfa is
> entirely justified but it's caused by market demand. These market
> forces (which vary over the country) place an average value on a
> product and if it's priced cheaper than the market value, it's a
> bargain. Otherwise it's not..IYSWIM.

Ok, good value for money then...

>> Unfortunately the wife finds it too
>> fast and is happy with her 147 otherwise I would keep the 156 and flog
>> the 147!

> Trade in the wife and keep the Alfas? ;-)

Is that an offer

Cheers
Tony
Old June 18th 07, 07:29 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:40:52 GMT, Tony Rickard
> wrote:

>> Trade in the wife and keep the Alfas? ;-)

>Is that an offer

Depends..has she been regularly serviced? What's the mileage? Does she
start easily in the cold mornings? What condition is the bodywork in?
;-))

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old June 18th 07, 08:08 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_2_]

Zathras wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:40:52 GMT, Tony Rickard
> > wrote:
>
>>> Trade in the wife and keep the Alfas? ;-)

>> Is that an offer

> Depends..has she been regularly serviced? What's the mileage? Does she
> start easily in the cold mornings? What condition is the bodywork in?
> ;-))

I think you'd be well advised to arrange a test drive. Until you've
tried it you can't really tell if the gearbox is sloppy and whether she
has any 'low down grunt'?

Wear a set of overalls though until she's been tested and
valeted....just to be safe.
Old June 18th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:08:16 +0100, Jim >
wrote:

>Zathras wrote:

>>> Is that an offer

>> Depends..has she been regularly serviced? What's the mileage? Does she
>> start easily in the cold mornings? What condition is the bodywork in?
>> ;-))
>>

>I think you'd be well advised to arrange a test drive. Until you've
>tried it you can't really tell if the gearbox is sloppy and whether she
>has any 'low down grunt'?

I'd also want to check the higher revs just in case the MAF was
causing a misfire! Fuel consumption would be worth checking as would
be the exhaust smoke! Maybe a tyre check if she's not a compact
executive? If there are any big spoilers Catman will be along shortly
with cash..

Old June 18th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:08:16 +0100, Jim >
> wrote:
>
>> Zathras wrote:
>>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:40:52 GMT, Tony Rickard

>>> Depends..has she been regularly serviced? What's the mileage? Does she
>>> start easily in the cold mornings? What condition is the bodywork in?
>>> ;-))
>>>

>> I think you'd be well advised to arrange a test drive. Until you've
>> tried it you can't really tell if the gearbox is sloppy and whether she
>> has any 'low down grunt'?

> I'd also want to check the higher revs just in case the MAF was
> causing a misfire! Fuel consumption would be worth checking as would
> be the exhaust smoke! Maybe a tyre check if she's not a compact
> executive? If there are any big spoilers Catman will be along shortly
> with cash..

humpph
I'll have you know my latest model has no spoilers at all

Old June 18th 07, 10:31 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Catman > wrote:

> > I'd also want to check the higher revs just in case the MAF was
> > causing a misfire! Fuel consumption would be worth checking as would
> > be the exhaust smoke! Maybe a tyre check if she's not a compact
> > executive? If there are any big spoilers Catman will be along shortly
> > with cash..
> >

> humpph
> I'll have you know my latest model has no spoilers at all

I have bad news for you......

You can't get an EVO spoiler for the 166. You'd have to be happy with a
subtle lip spoiler.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old June 18th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Tony Rickard

Zathras wrote:

>> You can't get an EVO spoiler for the 166. You'd have to be happy with a
>> subtle lip spoiler.

> ..must be plenty on eBay that can be used in an emergency like this!
> Self tappers, filler (preferably unpainted) for the gaps..job
> done..bootiful (sorry couldn't resist)!! :-O

Just the thing:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/DSCF0715.jpg

neat job...
Old June 19th 07, 07:36 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Tony Rickard wrote:
> Zathras wrote:
>
>>> You can't get an EVO spoiler for the 166. You'd have to be happy with a
>>> subtle lip spoiler.

>> ..must be plenty on eBay that can be used in an emergency like this!
>> Self tappers, filler (preferably unpainted) for the gaps..job
>> done..bootiful (sorry couldn't resist)!! :-O

> Just the thing:
>
> http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/DSCF0715.jpg
>
> neat job...

*want*

99 GT Questions Brian C Ford Mustang 2 April 25th 06 03:42 AM
questions? thehawk93 Saturn 3 December 2nd 05 11:51 AM
Anyone asking anyone questions? Alan Bernardo Simulators 8 May 2nd 05 11:27 PM
NSR - A few questions... Larry Simulators 25 March 6th 05 10:07 PM
Oil Questions Scubabix Corvette 28 November 30th 04 10:12 PM