Rim Size - Fire-road Beetle

Old January 18th 05, 08:14 PM
crystal1

Default Rim Size - Fire-road Beetle

I would like to get a set of wagon-wheels and tires which will fit
completely under stock fenders (74 std beetle, IRS). The PO installed a
set of faux centerlines which stick out beyond the fenders a couple
inches. Normally they do not rub, but when running down the occasional
dirt road, the fender gets clipped.

What size rim and tires would fit without rubbing stock fenders?

So far I'm considering

15x6" fronts running 195 70r15
15x8" rears running 225 70r15

....am willing to go skinnier if it will help. Am not concerned about
looks, hence the wagon-wheels.

TIA
Old January 19th 05, 12:00 AM
P.J.Berg

crystal1 wrote:
> I would like to get a set of wagon-wheels and tires which will fit
> completely under stock fenders (74 std beetle, IRS). The PO installed
> a set of faux centerlines which stick out beyond the fenders a couple
> inches. Normally they do not rub, but when running down the occasional
> dirt road, the fender gets clipped.
>
> What size rim and tires would fit without rubbing stock fenders?
>
> So far I'm considering
>
> 15x6" fronts running 195 70r15
> 15x8" rears running 225 70r15
>
> ...am willing to go skinnier if it will help. Am not concerned about
> looks, hence the wagon-wheels.
>
> TIA

Wagon, I take it you refer to a T2 ? The wagon/transporter rims have a
different bolt pattern, so thats a no go.
When it comes to width for everyday use and handling, you need to go no
further than 5,5" using 175/*-15.
Anything wider and you risk running into issues, you can use 185's on the
5.5"'s, but will be less stable.

J.

Old January 19th 05, 02:22 AM
python1

P.J.Berg wrote:
> crystal1 wrote:
>
>>I would like to get a set of wagon-wheels and tires which will fit
>>completely under stock fenders (74 std beetle, IRS). The PO installed
>>a set of faux centerlines which stick out beyond the fenders a couple
>>inches. Normally they do not rub, but when running down the occasional
>>dirt road, the fender gets clipped.
>>
>>What size rim and tires would fit without rubbing stock fenders?
>>
>>So far I'm considering
>>
>>15x6" fronts running 195 70r15
>>15x8" rears running 225 70r15
>>
>>...am willing to go skinnier if it will help. Am not concerned about
>>looks, hence the wagon-wheels.
>>
>>TIA

> Wagon, I take it you refer to a T2 ? The wagon/transporter rims have a
> different bolt pattern, so thats a no go.
> When it comes to width for everyday use and handling, you need to go no
> further than 5,5" using 175/*-15.
> Anything wider and you risk running into issues, you can use 185's on the
> 5.5"'s, but will be less stable.
>
> J.

Thanks.

I guess I was overestimating the width of the fenders before. A quick
search on tirerack brought up a couple 175/65r15s for $50. Will check
locally first. Don't recall seeing the steelies available in 5.5". Would
you go for a 5" or a 6" if only full sizes are available?

FYI; I was refering to the painted white, steel, usually cheap rims
commonly seen on bajas.
Old January 19th 05, 02:22 AM
Nate Nagel

P.J.Berg wrote:

> crystal1 wrote:
>
>>I would like to get a set of wagon-wheels and tires which will fit
>>completely under stock fenders (74 std beetle, IRS). The PO installed
>>a set of faux centerlines which stick out beyond the fenders a couple
>>inches. Normally they do not rub, but when running down the occasional
>>dirt road, the fender gets clipped.
>>
>>What size rim and tires would fit without rubbing stock fenders?
>>
>>So far I'm considering
>>
>>15x6" fronts running 195 70r15
>>15x8" rears running 225 70r15
>>
>>...am willing to go skinnier if it will help. Am not concerned about
>>looks, hence the wagon-wheels.
>>
>>TIA

> Wagon, I take it you refer to a T2 ? The wagon/transporter rims have a
> different bolt pattern, so thats a no go.
> When it comes to width for everyday use and handling, you need to go no
> further than 5,5" using 175/*-15.
> Anything wider and you risk running into issues, you can use 185's on the
> 5.5"'s, but will be less stable.
>
> J.

I think by "wagon wheels" he's referring to the white steel wheels with
little triangular cutouts in the centers as made by American Racing et.
al. not factory wheels from a VW station wagon... if I'm not mistaken,
of course...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 19th 05, 09:11 AM
P.J.Berg

python1 wrote:
> P.J.Berg wrote:
>> crystal1 wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to get a set of wagon-wheels and tires which will fit
>>> completely under stock fenders (74 std beetle, IRS). The PO
>>> installed a set of faux centerlines which stick out beyond the
>>> fenders a couple inches. Normally they do not rub, but when running
>>> down the occasional dirt road, the fender gets clipped.
>>>
>>> What size rim and tires would fit without rubbing stock fenders?
>>>
>>> So far I'm considering
>>>
>>> 15x6" fronts running 195 70r15
>>> 15x8" rears running 225 70r15
>>>
>>> ...am willing to go skinnier if it will help. Am not concerned about
>>> looks, hence the wagon-wheels.
>>>
>>> TIA

>> Wagon, I take it you refer to a T2 ? The wagon/transporter rims have
>> a different bolt pattern, so thats a no go.
>> When it comes to width for everyday use and handling, you need to go
>> no further than 5,5" using 175/*-15.
>> Anything wider and you risk running into issues, you can use 185's
>> on the
>> 5.5"'s, but will be less stable.
>>
>> J.

> Thanks.
>
> I guess I was overestimating the width of the fenders before. A quick
> search on tirerack brought up a couple 175/65r15s for $50. Will check
> locally first. Don't recall seeing the steelies available in 5.5".
> Would you go for a 5" or a 6" if only full sizes are available?
>
> FYI; I was refering to the painted white, steel, usually cheap rims
> commonly seen on bajas.

AHhh, that explains it...

You would have to check the offset of those rims to decide wheter to go for
6" or not. 5.5" is the widest approved by the German TUV for the earlier
models. The likeliness of the 5" giving you any trouble whatsoever are nil
compared to that of the 6", your deccision. :0)

J.

FA: VW Beetle Reborn novelty clock Al Rock VW air cooled 0 January 3rd 05 10:57 PM
New Beetle Tim murphy VW air cooled 9 January 1st 05 04:54 PM
Audi All Road reliability LIW Audi 2 November 3rd 04 08:39 PM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
Fi What Went Wrong? Jonnie Santos Saturn 22 September 12th 04 07:38 AM