89 Taurus V6 Problem

Old January 1st 05, 05:21 AM
F. Dail Singleton, Jr.

Default 89 Taurus V6 Problem

Our Taurus has recently (on some days, not always) shown "surging"
(oscillating idle speed) while in the middle of the warmup period but
runs normally once hot and starts normally from cold also.
Coincidentally(???), 3 times it has suddenly stalled while driving
slowly during the warmup period. In the previous 2 times it was very
difficult (much cranking) to get started again, but once restarted, it
ran normally. Today it refused to restart, and is stuck away from home
in a safe parking space. There is a gas smell from the exhaust, but I
could not get more than a few stumbling cylinder firings. Any ideas on
what could be wrong? Before I thought that the fuel pump inertia switch
had failed because after I pressed the button it restarted, but this was
apparently coincidence since the switch is now replaced and the car
wouldn't restart.

Dail Singleton
Old January 1st 05, 05:54 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:21:42 -0600, "F. Dail Singleton, Jr."
> wrote:

>Our Taurus has recently (on some days, not always) shown "surging"
>(oscillating idle speed) while in the middle of the warmup period but
>runs normally once hot and starts normally from cold also.
>Coincidentally(???), 3 times it has suddenly stalled while driving
>slowly during the warmup period. In the previous 2 times it was very
>difficult (much cranking) to get started again, but once restarted, it
>ran normally. Today it refused to restart, and is stuck away from home
>in a safe parking space. There is a gas smell from the exhaust, but I
>could not get more than a few stumbling cylinder firings. Any ideas on
>what could be wrong? Before I thought that the fuel pump inertia switch
>had failed because after I pressed the button it restarted, but this was
>apparently coincidence since the switch is now replaced and the car
>wouldn't restart.
>
>Dail Singleton

open loop fuel/air mix is way too rich for ignition.
why?
IAC. idle air/control valve sticking? clean it out, clean it off.
check MAF to be sure it is clean and nothing is *sticking* on the air
intake side.

Lg

Old January 1st 05, 02:34 PM
William R. Watt

Random stalling could be a dying ignition control module (ICM) in the
distributor. Sometimes you just have to let the car sit until the ICM cools
off for it to start again. Heck of a time trying to diagnose the problem
with my car until I took the ICM for a free test at a parts store. I put a
description of the problem on my website (below) under "Cars".
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old January 2nd 05, 06:08 AM
F. Dail Singleton, Jr.

Barehugs wrote:

> I had this problem on my 91. It is your fast idle control that is located on
> the top of your plentum. It has 2 bolts and a plugin. Remove it and clean it
> with spray carb cleaner and replace it. That should help with your problem.

I want to try this, but today I used my little code reader on it and a
code for the throttle position sensor showed up so I went to buy one of
these. The car is stuck in a remote area very far from auto parts
stores (and my home), and when I got back to it it was dusk and deer
were grazing around it. Hopefully will get it going tomorrow.

Dail Singleton

Old January 3rd 05, 01:35 AM
F. Dail Singleton, Jr.

Barehugs wrote:

> That would be the one you are looking for Let me know how it went..

Replaced the throttle position sensor --- screws were very stuck -- had
to destroy one getting it out, no change, car still only makes an
occasional sputter while cranking. Removed the IAC and brought it home
with me; looks dirty inside, but in my past experience with cars, if the
idle air control was bad, car would still start, idle was just
uncontrollable.

I am on vacation and like to observe wildlife in the park but didn't
plan on doing it with the car hood open.

Old January 3rd 05, 10:55 AM
MasterBlaster

"F. Dail Singleton, Jr." wrote

> Replaced the throttle position sensor --- screws were very stuck -- had
> to destroy one getting it out,

Did we mention the TPS screws aren't Phillips? They're Pozidrive.

Old January 8th 05, 05:48 PM
F. Dail Singleton, Jr.

William R. Watt wrote:

> Random stalling could be a dying ignition control module (ICM) in the
> distributor. Sometimes you just have to let the car sit until the ICM cools
> off for it to start again. Heck of a time trying to diagnose the problem
> with my car until I took the ICM for a free test at a parts store. I put a
> description of the problem on my website (below) under "Cars".
> --

This is what my mechanic found it was. He told me to check for spark
while the car was marooned, and there was some spark (but apparently not
enough) so I didn't try to take the ICM for testing (this would have
saved me a lot of money).

Dail Singleton