91 Dodge Colt...frozen?

Old January 6th 05, 04:01 PM
Mike Romain

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> "Bob M." > wrote in message
> > "Son of Sam" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > Just another quick question:

> > Wind chill has no effect on non-living things,

> Huh? This isn't correct at all. I've had carburetors ice up due to 'wind
> chill'
> through the venturi when the outside temp was 40 degrees and very foggy.
> (OK so the carb was on an insulating spacer, what do you expect, I was
> dragging it on the
> weekend at the time)
>
> Ted

I have to agree! Wind chill sure does affect non living objects.

I have a clay wine cooler that I soak in water for a couple hours, then
empty it and put a bottle of wine in it.

The air current caused by the evaporating water chills the wine pretty
fast.

I also have had many carbs ice up above freezing.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old January 6th 05, 04:18 PM
clifto

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "Bob M." > wrote...
>> Wind chill has no effect on non-living things,

> Huh? This isn't correct at all. I've had carburetors ice up due to 'wind
> chill'
> through the venturi when the outside temp was 40 degrees and very foggy.

I'll bet you make your sandwiches out of sand and witches, too.

--
The state religion of the USA is atheism, as established by the courts.
Old January 6th 05, 04:25 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:01:10 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>
>> "Bob M." > wrote in message
>> > "Son of Sam" > wrote in message
>> > oups.com...

>> > Wind chill has no effect on non-living things,

>> Huh? This isn't correct at all. I've had carburetors ice up due to 'wind
>> chill'
>> through the venturi when the outside temp was 40 degrees and very foggy.
>> (OK so the carb was on an insulating spacer, what do you expect, I was
>> dragging it on the
>> weekend at the time)
>>
>> Ted

>I have to agree! Wind chill sure does affect non living objects.
>
>I have a clay wine cooler that I soak in water for a couple hours, then
>empty it and put a bottle of wine in it.
>
>The air current caused by the evaporating water chills the wine pretty
>fast.
>
>I also have had many carbs ice up above freezing.
>
>Mike
>86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

That isn't the only factor to consider.
When there is a wind, it can carry the heat away from the part you're
trying to warm FASTER than the heat can be generated, leaving you with
a cold part anyhow.

If you're going to turn on a block heater, it might be a good idea to
cover the engine with a horse blanket until the block is up to temp.

Don't forget to remove the blanket before attempting to start the
engine

Lg

Old January 6th 05, 10:39 PM
Son of Sam

Thanks for all your help, men. I got it going today...it warmed up a
bit and it finally started. Actually though...after I started driving
it (after it warmed up), it kept stalling out every time I made a full
stop. I assume that it was just because the gas line was still frozen
and it wasn't getting enough gas when idling. Correct?

Old January 6th 05, 10:46 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On 6 Jan 2005 14:39:30 -0800, "Son of Sam"
> wrote:

>Thanks for all your help, men. I got it going today...it warmed up a
>bit and it finally started. Actually though...after I started driving
>it (after it warmed up), it kept stalling out every time I made a full
>stop. I assume that it was just because the gas line was still frozen
>and it wasn't getting enough gas when idling. Correct?

Put a can/bottle of gas line antifreeze into your fuel tank according
to instructions. Once you've been driving for a few minutes, it will
have been pumped throughout the system and you can thereafter rule out
gas line freeze up.

This *stuff* is available everywhere under a bunch of different brand
names:
STP makes it, can buy at Kmart
HEET is another name, can buy anywhere

Lg

Old January 6th 05, 11:06 PM
Son of Sam

Thanks Lawrence, that is actually exactly what I did too. Looks like
it worked.

Old January 8th 05, 01:14 AM
Jon Splane

Mike Romain wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >
> > "Bob M." > wrote in message
> > > "Son of Sam" > wrote in message
> > > oups.com...

> > > Wind chill has no effect on non-living things,

> > Huh? This isn't correct at all. I've had carburetors ice up due to 'wind
> > chill'
> > through the venturi when the outside temp was 40 degrees and very foggy.
> > (OK so the carb was on an insulating spacer, what do you expect, I was
> > dragging it on the
> > weekend at the time)
> >
> > Ted

> I have to agree! Wind chill sure does affect non living objects.
>
> I have a clay wine cooler that I soak in water for a couple hours, then
> empty it and put a bottle of wine in it.
>
> The air current caused by the evaporating water chills the wine pretty
> fast.
>
> I also have had many carbs ice up above freezing.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Mike,

What you and Ted are both describing is evaporative cooling which is
caused by the heat absorbed from its environment by a liquid as it
changes phase to a gas. That is not wind chill. Wind chill is
convective heat loss caused by a wind passing by an object of warmer
temperature. The faster the wind the more heat is removed from the
warmer object. Wind chill does apply to nonliving objects as well as
living object, but only if they are warmer than the air passing over
them.

I think Bob M.'s point is that wind chill won't have any effect on the
engine starting or not starting and that is correct. Is the air temp
and engine temp is 20 degrees farenheit and the wind is 60 MPH it will
be the same as a 0 MPH wind as far as resistance to starting. No matter
how strong the wind, it can't lower the temperature of the engine below
its own temperature. Of course once the engine is started it will warm
up slower in a wind.

Jon
Old January 8th 05, 05:54 AM
clifto

Jon Splane wrote:
> What you and Ted are both describing is evaporative cooling which is
> caused by the heat absorbed from its environment by a liquid as it
> changes phase to a gas. That is not wind chill. Wind chill is
> convective heat loss caused by a wind passing by an object of warmer
> temperature.

<http://www.erh.noaa.gov/images/afi/windchill.html>

Wind chill is the cooling effect of wind on exposed skin. Mike and Ted's
Incredible Journey down pseudoscience lane only describes convective
cooling. I rather doubt Ted's carburetor has any exposed skin, and I'd
like to know what "non living objects" Mike thinks have exposed skin
to be affected by wind chill.

--
The state religion of the USA is atheism, as established by the courts.
Old January 8th 05, 03:22 PM
Mike Romain

clifto wrote:

> Jon Splane wrote:
> > What you and Ted are both describing is evaporative cooling which is
> > caused by the heat absorbed from its environment by a liquid as it
> > changes phase to a gas. That is not wind chill. Wind chill is
> > convective heat loss caused by a wind passing by an object of warmer
> > temperature.

> <http://www.erh.noaa.gov/images/afi/windchill.html>
>
> Wind chill is the cooling effect of wind on exposed skin. Mike and Ted's
> Incredible Journey down pseudoscience lane only describes convective
> cooling. I rather doubt Ted's carburetor has any exposed skin, and I'd
> like to know what "non living objects" Mike thinks have exposed skin
> to be affected by wind chill.
>
> --

LOL!

Ok, just my hand that gets cooled by the 'wind' coming up the space
between the bottle and clay pot.

Mike

1993 Dodge Colt DB Dodge 2 October 13th 04 10:19 AM
Dodge Colt? Scotian Dodge 12 April 23rd 04 11:26 PM