G25 v. Momo Force

Old January 20th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default G25 v. Momo Force

I got the red Momo Force installed, fired up rFactor, and gave it a
test drive. I did not try to make any adjustments to make it feel
better - just remapped the controls to the new wheels and took off.

It shouldn't be a surprise, but I thought I'd comment anyway. I can
tell you unequivocally that the G25 blows it away. There is no
comparison in the smoothness, the response time, and the crispness of
the feedback.

If you've tried FF wheels in the past and didn't like them, you may
want to give it another try with a G25. It's a completely different
experience.

Pat Dotson

Old January 20th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Michael Sisson

In article .com>,
says...
> I got the red Momo Force installed, fired up rFactor, and gave it a
> test drive. I did not try to make any adjustments to make it feel
> better - just remapped the controls to the new wheels and took off.
>
> It shouldn't be a surprise, but I thought I'd comment anyway. I can
> tell you unequivocally that the G25 blows it away. There is no
> comparison in the smoothness, the response time, and the crispness of
> the feedback.
>
> If you've tried FF wheels in the past and didn't like them, you may
> want to give it another try with a G25. It's a completely different
> experience.

The thing that is holding me back is the wire nightare. I have owned a
Logi Red (cable driven, not the MOMO), an Act-Labs Monstrosity, and a
Logi Black Momo.

Logi Red kicks all sorts of ass when it comes to setup and tear down.
Only one wire comes up from the pedal unit to the wheel.

It must be some sort of OCD that makes me go all ****y when hooking up
(ROT13 - shpxvat pbpxfhpxvat shpxvat nebhaq jvgu jverf gung ner gbb
shpxvat fubeg naq qnza, pna lbh znxr ZBER jverf tb gb gur jurry??) the
wheel/pedal combo. The Red Logi was such a nice solution. Why can great
solutions to problems not be built upon??

MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
READY.
RUN
Old January 22nd 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Michael Sisson wrote:
[snip]

> The thing that is holding me back is the wire nightare. I have owned a
> Logi Red (cable driven, not the MOMO), an Act-Labs Monstrosity, and a
> Logi Black Momo.

[snip]

My ActLabs refuses to die, so I haven't had an excuse to get a G25 yet
. Just an idea, but are all the plugs/sockets on the G25 standard?
What about wiring together an intermediate harness with a single plug
to connect/disconnect? If nobody runs with the idea I might get one
just to try it out, and maybe see if anyone wants to buy one.

Kendt

Old January 22nd 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I love the G25 with three exceptions:

1. No center clamp for the wheel.
2. The cable madness.
3. Lack of forces around dead center (about 10 deg worth, each side).
4. The way too short cable for the pedals.

Ok, so that's 4

-Larry

oups.com...

Old January 23rd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steve Blankenship

#3 has me wondering - I have a G25 on the way and one of the things I was
hoping to see much improved from the DFP is the dead feel around center.
I'd thought the twin motors and less gear reduction would have helped a lot
there. Hmmm... As for #4, I remember seeing a posting at RSC from someone
at Logitech that you can use an extender cable for the pedals. It's
apparently a standard cable type, so you can buy lots of them and run it all
the way around your house. ;-)

SB

Old January 23rd 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave F

"Steve Blankenship" <steveNOSPAMblankenshipATcomcast.net> wrote in message
> "Larry" > wrote in message
>>I love the G25 with three exceptions:
>>
>> 1. No center clamp for the wheel.
>> 2. The cable madness.
>> 3. Lack of forces around dead center (about 10 deg worth, each side).
>> 4. The way too short cable for the pedals.
>>
>> Ok, so that's 4
>>
>> -Larry

> #3 has me wondering - I have a G25 on the way and one of the things I was
> hoping to see much improved from the DFP is the dead feel around center.
> I'd thought the twin motors and less gear reduction would have helped a
> lot there. Hmmm... As for #4, I remember seeing a posting at RSC from
> someone at Logitech that you can use an extender cable for the pedals.
> It's apparently a standard cable type, so you can buy lots of them and run
> it all the way around your house. ;-)
>
> SB

Not sure if Larry is saying it lacks feel around center in all sims he's
tried it with, but with rFactor you can edit a line in your
player/controller file which eliminates the dead zone around center. Should
look like this: FFB steer force neutral range="0.00000"

--
David G Fisher

Old January 23rd 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Dave F wrote:
> "Steve Blankenship" <steveNOSPAMblankenshipATcomcast.net> wrote in message
> > "Larry" > wrote in message
> >>I love the G25 with three exceptions:
> >>
> >> 1. No center clamp for the wheel.
> >> 2. The cable madness.
> >> 3. Lack of forces around dead center (about 10 deg worth, each side).
> >> 4. The way too short cable for the pedals.
> >>
> >> Ok, so that's 4
> >>
> >> -Larry

> > #3 has me wondering - I have a G25 on the way and one of the things I was
> > hoping to see much improved from the DFP is the dead feel around center.
> > I'd thought the twin motors and less gear reduction would have helped a
> > lot there. Hmmm... As for #4, I remember seeing a posting at RSC from
> > someone at Logitech that you can use an extender cable for the pedals.
> > It's apparently a standard cable type, so you can buy lots of them and run
> > it all the way around your house. ;-)
> >
> > SB

> Not sure if Larry is saying it lacks feel around center in all sims he's
> tried it with, but with rFactor you can edit a line in your
> player/controller file which eliminates the dead zone around center. Should
> look like this: FFB steer force neutral range="0.00000"
>

> --
> David G Fisher

I'll check myself, but is this in all ISI sims? If GTR2 and GTL can't
be edited to remove this I'll never get a G25.

Kendt

Old January 24th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Steve Blankenship

"Dave F" > wrote in message
. ..
> Not sure if Larry is saying it lacks feel around center in all sims he's
> tried it with, but with rFactor you can edit a line in your
> player/controller file which eliminates the dead zone around center.
> Should look like this: FFB steer force neutral range="0.00000"
> --
> David G Fisher

Thanks Dave, but I had already done that sometime back. Spent a good bit of
time tweaking the FF variables in rFactor and was much happier with it after
the fact. The thing I'm talking about with the DFP is not just in rF; it
occurs either on-center or whenever the steering forces are reversing. I
just figured it was due to the extreme gear reduction on the motor, since
the motor was going to have to wind up from a stop or a direction change
before you were going to feel much resistance and it always came in a bit
clunky, where in a real car the forces build up much more smoothly
off-center. Most every DFP/G25 comparison I've seen has said that aspect
was much better, so I was surprised to see Larry's take on it. I'll be
interested to see how it feels to me when it comes in; it just about has to
be a lot better due to the design and higher speed of rotation. We shall
see!

SB

Old January 24th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

You aren't going to get your wish

-Larry