TOCA Race Driver 2 and ATI Cards

Old February 9th 05, 02:06 AM
BRH

Default TOCA Race Driver 2 and ATI Cards

After setting RD2 aside for the past few months, I decided to fire it
back up for a few laps tonight. ...And then I remembered why I had set
it aside.

It seems that, unless I have mirrors turned off, the only thing I see of
the opponent cars on track are the cars' shadow on the asphalt. So, I
have to decide to either race without mirrors and see the competition,
or race with mirrors and not see the competition -- not a good choice.

Since I had just upgraded to the latest ATI Catalyst 5.1 drivers, I was
hoping that this graphical glitch had been worked out by now. From what
I can tell so far, it hasn't been.

So, I'm wondering whether any ATI Radeon user has worked out how to use
the mirrors without losing the visuals of the opponents cars. Perhaps
there's a patch that I'm not aware of, or some ini file to be adjusted?

RD2 has been patched to 1.2, and my system has a Radeon9700Pro, 1 Gig
Ram, AMD AthlonP2600, TB Santa Cruz Soundcard. Running WinXP Pro - SP1.

Any suggestions on working this out would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old February 9th 05, 02:21 AM
BRH

BRH wrote:
> After setting RD2 aside for the past few months, I decided to fire it
> back up for a few laps tonight. ...And then I remembered why I had set
> it aside.
>
> It seems that, unless I have mirrors turned off, the only thing I see of
> the opponent cars on track are the cars' shadow on the asphalt. So, I
> have to decide to either race without mirrors and see the competition,
> or race with mirrors and not see the competition -- not a good choice.
>
> Since I had just upgraded to the latest ATI Catalyst 5.1 drivers, I was
> hoping that this graphical glitch had been worked out by now. From what
> I can tell so far, it hasn't been.
>
> So, I'm wondering whether any ATI Radeon user has worked out how to use
> the mirrors without losing the visuals of the opponents cars. Perhaps
> there's a patch that I'm not aware of, or some ini file to be adjusted?
>
> RD2 has been patched to 1.2, and my system has a Radeon9700Pro, 1 Gig
> Ram, AMD AthlonP2600, TB Santa Cruz Soundcard. Running WinXP Pro - SP1.
>
> Any suggestions on working this out would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Oh -- One other thing. I recall that, until I ended up re-installing
RD2, I was able to race at Laguna in the Formula Fords. If I recall
correctly, there was some kind of cheat that could be applied so that
all tracks were available in all series. I've applied all of the cheats
that I know about, and I still don't get Laguna available for the
Formula Fords. Can someone help me out with this too?

Thanks!
Old February 9th 05, 04:21 AM
George

I have also seen this problem before in Toca and I have a ATI Raden 9800XT.
The problem is in the settings of the catylyst. If I remember correctly, it
was something to do with Artificial Intelligence in the Catylyst. When this
was on, then all I got was shadows on the ground.

Old February 9th 05, 11:45 PM
Joao Gonzalez

"George" > wrote in message
>I have also seen this problem before in Toca and I have a ATI Raden 9800XT.
> The problem is in the settings of the catylyst. If I remember correctly,
> it
> was something to do with Artificial Intelligence in the Catylyst. When
> this
> was on, then all I got was shadows on the ground.

Actually I solved it this weekend. I had given up on it for the same reason,
gave it a try Sunday afternoon and found out that if I turn off "High-Res
Bonnet Reflection" and "Lock Frame Rate" (under "Advanced Settings"),
everything else on and maxed details it works fine.

I have an X800Pro, 4.12 Cats,1280x1024x32, AA 4x AF 4x, 70 Hz.

Hope this helps.

Old February 9th 05, 11:58 PM
BRH

George wrote:
> I have also seen this problem before in Toca and I have a ATI Raden 9800XT.
> The problem is in the settings of the catylyst. If I remember correctly, it
> was something to do with Artificial Intelligence in the Catylyst. When this
> was on, then all I got was shadows on the ground.

I assume that you mean either AA or AF in the Catalyst settings (not AI
- artificial intelligence). I'd like to give that a try, but I don't
know how to turn either of them completely off. (Using Cat 5.1) The
minimum settings for each is 2X.
Old February 10th 05, 01:48 AM
BRH

Joao Gonzalez wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message
>
>>I have also seen this problem before in Toca and I have a ATI Raden 9800XT.
>>The problem is in the settings of the catylyst. If I remember correctly,
>>it
>>was something to do with Artificial Intelligence in the Catylyst. When
>>this
>>was on, then all I got was shadows on the ground.
>>

> Actually I solved it this weekend. I had given up on it for the same reason,
> gave it a try Sunday afternoon and found out that if I turn off "High-Res
> Bonnet Reflection" and "Lock Frame Rate" (under "Advanced Settings"),
> everything else on and maxed details it works fine.
>
> I have an X800Pro, 4.12 Cats,1280x1024x32, AA 4x AF 4x, 70 Hz.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks -- I'll give that a try.

Do you have any ideas regarding my second question? How to run the
Formula Fords at Laguna and other tracks?
Old February 10th 05, 02:13 AM
BRH

Joao Gonzalez wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message
>
>>I have also seen this problem before in Toca and I have a ATI Raden 9800XT.
>>The problem is in the settings of the catylyst. If I remember correctly,
>>it
>>was something to do with Artificial Intelligence in the Catylyst. When
>>this
>>was on, then all I got was shadows on the ground.
>>

> Actually I solved it this weekend. I had given up on it for the same reason,
> gave it a try Sunday afternoon and found out that if I turn off "High-Res
> Bonnet Reflection" and "Lock Frame Rate" (under "Advanced Settings"),
> everything else on and maxed details it works fine.
>
> I have an X800Pro, 4.12 Cats,1280x1024x32, AA 4x AF 4x, 70 Hz.
>
> Hope this helps.

Joao,

That worked great! Thanks!

Bert

Old February 10th 05, 02:29 AM
BRH

BRH wrote:
> Joao Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> "George" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I have also seen this problem before in Toca and I have a ATI Raden
>>> 9800XT.
>>> The problem is in the settings of the catylyst. If I remember
>>> correctly, it
>>> was something to do with Artificial Intelligence in the Catylyst.
>>> When this
>>> was on, then all I got was shadows on the ground.
>>>

>> Actually I solved it this weekend. I had given up on it for the same
>> reason, gave it a try Sunday afternoon and found out that if I turn
>> off "High-Res Bonnet Reflection" and "Lock Frame Rate" (under
>> "Advanced Settings"), everything else on and maxed details it works fine.
>>
>> I have an X800Pro, 4.12 Cats,1280x1024x32, AA 4x AF 4x, 70 Hz.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

> Thanks -- I'll give that a try.
>
> Do you have any ideas regarding my second question? How to run the
> Formula Fords at Laguna and other tracks?

I found the solution to the Laguna question. There's a Formula Ford
season file that can be downloaded from Blackhole Motorsports.
Old February 10th 05, 08:28 AM
Joao Gonzalez

<BRH> wrote in message ...
> Joao Gonzalez wrote:
>> "George" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I have also seen this problem before in Toca and I have a ATI Raden
>>>9800XT.
>>>The problem is in the settings of the catylyst. If I remember correctly,
>>>it
>>>was something to do with Artificial Intelligence in the Catylyst. When
>>>this
>>>was on, then all I got was shadows on the ground.
>>>

>> Actually I solved it this weekend. I had given up on it for the same
>> reason, gave it a try Sunday afternoon and found out that if I turn off
>> "High-Res Bonnet Reflection" and "Lock Frame Rate" (under "Advanced
>> Settings"), everything else on and maxed details it works fine.
>>
>> I have an X800Pro, 4.12 Cats,1280x1024x32, AA 4x AF 4x, 70 Hz.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

> Joao,
>
> That worked great! Thanks!
>
> Bert