Impressed with Dodge Caliber

Old September 22nd 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Impressed with Dodge Caliber

We have had a Dodge Caliber SXT for one month now, having traded in a
2005 PT Cruiser Convertible, and are very impressed with the quality
and gas mileage of the vehicle. We have never gotten below 25 and so
far have almost gotten 30 on a short trip to Kennedy Space Center.
The car is very tightly built, we love the CVT smooth shifting and the
cruise control keeps it around 1500-2000 rpms at all time, accounting
for the good mileage. The last Dodge that I owned was a 70 Dart
Swinger, 225 Slant six, the other cars being Chryslers. My family has
owned Chrysler cars since the 1940's, and I own a 1940 restored Royal
coupe. I have heard many good things about the Caliber, but I wonder
why the name Dodge is nowhere to be found on the car?
--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old September 23rd 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Many people "expect" to fee some sort of "shifting activity" in their
transmissions, whether CVT or not. CVTs also take a little getting used
to in driving them, as some of our Nissan techs had to instruct Murano
customers of how to drive the vehicles to let the CVT act as it should.
A steady throttle foot during acceleration keeps things going as they
should, rather than into and out of the throttle as some people tend to
do when "the feel" is not right to them.

Even Nissan has "gear" selections in their CVTs, to mimic certain gear
ratios for manual shifting capabilities. Not everybody is ready for (or
used to) the ole DynaFlow feel of smoooooth acceleration with little
engine rpm change.

I suspect that Chrysler's foray into CVTs will work better than
GM/Saturn's and Ford's did. Nissan's had full CVT coverage for a couple
of model years now, but not in the more powerful Infinity line. It
doesn't seem to have hurt sales or have received consumer resistance,
especially as it is now billed as a fuel economy booster.

Enjoy!

C-BODY

Old September 25th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dave Gower[_1_]

"Steve" > wrote

>...Is it true that the Caliber CVT "fakes" shifts rather than just holding
>the RPM constant as speed increases?

The couple I've tested held a constant rpm with a constant throttle setting.
Some models do, however, have an "autostick" setting which allows them to be
manually shifted through 6 speeds.

I think they work great if properly set up. Plus they have far fewer parts
than any other types of transmission, manuals included.

Old September 25th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

wrote:

>> > we love the CVT smooth shifting

>>"CVT" and "Shifting" (no matter how smooth) don't belong in the same
>>sentence. Is it true that the Caliber CVT "fakes" shifts rather than
>>just holding the RPM constant as speed increases? And if so, have you
>>checked into the rumor that the controller can be re-flashed to make it
>>*really* be a CVT?

> You will have to resist resisting change.
> CVT is the way of the future, it just makes sense.

You COMPLETELY boofed your understanding of what I was saying. Read it
again, with feeling.

My whole point was that its looney to take a perfectly good CVT (which I
agree is the way of the future apart from hybrids) and then program it
to "shift" like a regular automatic just so customers won't think it
"feels odd."

Old September 25th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Jalapeno

On Sep 25, 12:44 pm, Josh S > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> CVT is the way of the future, it just makes sense.

Ha. Not if Chrysler has their way. Dual clutch, here it comes:

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/auto...nsmission.html

Old September 25th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Jalapeno wrote:

> On Sep 25, 12:44 pm, Josh S > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>
>>CVT is the way of the future, it just makes sense.

> Ha. Not if Chrysler has their way. Dual clutch, here it comes:
>
> http://www.allpar.com/corporate/auto...nsmission.html

Current CVTs can't handle as much torque as conventional automatics or
manuals, but "manumatics" may just be a stopgap for heavier duty
vehicles until higher torque-capable CVTs are developed. Then again,
automatically shifting manual transmissions have been used for a long,
long time on 18-wheelers. I was skeptical the first time I was shown an
Eaton auto-manual on an 18-wheeler. I'd heard the driver pull it in, and
it sounded exactly like a conventional 18-wheeler shifting. But it was
all being done by the computer, not the driver, and he proved it to me
by taking me for a turn around the compound in it. Very odd sensation to
feel the engine drop to idle, hear the gears change, and then the power
come back on without the driver moving a muscle. This was circa 1998,
and it was a Freightliner with a Cummins N-14 and Eaton transmission and
axles.
Old September 25th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

Jalapeno > writes:

> On Sep 25, 12:44 pm, Josh S > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > CVT is the way of the future, it just makes sense.

> Ha. Not if Chrysler has their way. Dual clutch, here it comes:
>
> http://www.allpar.com/corporate/auto...nsmission.html

You're confusing the future with the present. CVTs aren't there yet
for serious torque output -- I don't think Chrysler is using it for
anything bigger than a 2.4? While I expect them to get there, I also
expect it to take long enough that a new transmission family can be
developed, produced, amortized, and regarded as "old" first.

Dodge Caliber SRT junk Dodge 0 May 30th 07 06:36 AM
Dodge Caliber Art Chrysler 30 June 21st 06 01:35 AM
Dodge Caliber Stuuder Dodge 3 April 18th 06 02:35 PM
Dodge Caliber? M.R.S. Chrysler 22 April 12th 06 12:11 PM