Mexican truckers to be given full access of US roads

Old June 25th 07, 07:19 PM posted to misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Ted

Default Mexican truckers to be given full access of US roads

On Jun 25, 9:36 am, Jose > wrote:
> World Peace Herald, DC - 4 hours ago
> By Sean Lengell WASHINGTON -- A Bush administration plan to proceed
> with a pilot program to give Mexican truckers full access of US roads
> has caused a ...
>
> http://wpherald.com/articles/5237/1/...-be-given-full...

Should be a circus! Does anyone still support the government in
Washington, DC?

ted

Old June 26th 07, 02:50 AM posted to misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles

On Jun 25, 11:19 am, Ted > wrote:
> On Jun 25, 9:36 am, Jose > wrote:
>
> > World Peace Herald, DC - 4 hours ago
> > By Sean Lengell WASHINGTON -- A Bush administration plan to proceed
> > with a pilot program to give Mexican truckers full access of US roads
> > has caused a ...

> >http://wpherald.com/articles/5237/1/...-be-given-full...

> Should be a circus! Does anyone still support the government in
> Washington, DC?
>
> ted

All we need is for Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona to have Truck
Inspections that are as thorough as California has. Many of their
trucks would be held under a "Do not drive until fixed and inspected"
warrant as soon as they hit their first inspection station. The next
level of enforcement would be to use log book inspections to verify
that the driver complies with the limits on the number of hours of
driving without a rest break. Then, since U.S. vehicle insurance is
not valid in Mexico, reciprocity would require that they carry U.S.
insurance in order to enter the country.

Essentially, the border states should begin by treating each of the
permitted Mexican companies to be one with a "bad reputation" and
strictly enforce existing laws until each company proves themselves to
have a good reputation.

If the U.S. Dept. of Transportation does not provide a way for the
border states to exchange violation information by Driver License #
and Vehicle License #, then the states need to set up an information
exchange among themselves. Vehicles and drivers that fail to pay
their fines in one state would find their drivers arrested and their
vehicles impounded in other states, not just in the state where the
ticket was issued.

Would there still be accidents? Sure, but only until the unqualified
drivers and the unqualified vehicles were weeded out.