94' Ford Explorer 4door XLT 4X4 (4X4 broke need help!!!)

Old December 15th 04, 10:14 AM
Christopher Hoopingarner

Default 94' Ford Explorer 4door XLT 4X4 (4X4 broke need help!!!)

I have a 94' ford explorer xlt with push button electronic 4WD and
(previously) automatic locking hubs however after discovering the 4x4
did not work I call a local auto parts store and told them the symptoms.
He recommended a conversion kit from auto-locking hubs to
manual-locking. So I ordered the kit and installed a pair of Warn
manual-locking hubs, BUT the problem still exists!!

Here are the symptoms (1) " Front drive shaft and right arm turns when
engaged, but I have doubts that the power gets to the wheel". (2) " Left
arm turns a quarter in both directions than stops, but turns fully with
BOTH the old auto-locking and the new manual-locking hubs Removed."
(3) " When steering right OR left while going forwards OR backwards in
4high OR 4low it experiences what feels like the tires rubbing against
the fenders which quickly brings the vehicle to a stop HOWEVER the tires
have good clearance and were professionally mounted. (This only occurs
in 4wd). (4) " I am not sure what I did but wile in 4wd the front end
(somewhere) started making a very fast paced clicking sound. I had to
turn the truck off. this has only happened once. Since then I have had
it in 4wd trying to figure everything out and it hasn't happened again
Yet

I hope to have it fixed before winter kicks in and any answers or advise
would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Mickey

Old December 16th 04, 02:29 AM
Carl Saiyed

Mickey-

Did you put it in 4x4 on a hard, dry surface? This is NOT good for your
4x4 system. The feeling of the tires rubbing against the wheel well is
actually the tires spinning/slipping to relieve tension on the pavement. All
four wheels receive the same power, but when turning on a hard surface they
do not spin the same speed. This produces what is known as "Bucking" - What
you are experiancing. Your 4wd system is only for low-traction conditions
such as compact snow and ice, mud, ect. Wet pavement is not enough.

To test your 4x4 system..

First, raise and properly support both axles of the truck. You need FOUR
jack stands. Be sure the truck is securely on the stands, this is CRITICAL.

AFTER the truck is raised, have an assistant start the truck, put it in 2hi
and D. Let the engine IDLE. Be sure the rear wheels are working properly.
Have the assistant stop the wheels. Be sure the brake is FULLY applied and
the wheels have fully stopped before switching into Park. Lock both front
hubs manually. Have the assistant put it in 4hi, then D, and release the
brake, do not race the engine.

All four wheels should now be spinning. It is not uncommon for one front
wheel to spin much faster than the other. It is not uncommon for one front
wheel to not spin while the other spins quickly. If this is the case, using
heavy leather gloves, push against the side of the tire untill it stops. It
should not be difficult or dangerous. At this point, the other tire should
begin spinning. If this is not the case, something is broken.

Try this first, let us know what happens.

HTH

Carl

91 Ford Explorer 4x4 damion 4x4 7 December 1st 04 09:02 PM
Ford Explorer tires Dan 4x4 2 February 28th 04 05:21 AM
FS 1996 Ford Explorer XLT (No. CA) John B. Parisi 4x4 0 January 4th 04 07:41 PM
Crash between a SUV and a pickup truck - Explorer vs Ford F150 zxcvar 4x4 0 December 13th 03 02:59 AM