Need Advice

Old January 31st 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
gernic

Default Need Advice

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
> [...]

> wouldn't rule it out just on this alone. That is why I said to do the
> hydrocarbon test because it will detect oil and/or residuals from exhaust
> gases present in the coolant. The test takes all of 15 seconds.
>
>> Any thoughts on the relative difficulty of the head gasket job,
>> though? Even though I'm going to get it professionally diagnosed, I'm
>> curious. I found a good article from Mustang Monthly at
>> http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/5892/index.html, and I've also
>> seen suggestions to use new head bolts, and to have the heads
>> inspected / surfaced. The scary part in the article above is cleaning
>> the gasket surfaces. That seems like a great chance for someone to
>> gouge the heads / decks and mating surfaces their first time through.

> I have replaced the head gaskets on my car several times (comes from
> running 16 psi of boost) and it isn't too bad. Take PLENTY of photographs
> as you go through the disassembly process. These photos are invaluable as
> you start reassembly. Also, keep meticulous track of all the parts. Make
> sure the rods, rocker arms etc. go back in the same locations if you reuse
> them. check the plane on the heads and block. If there is any warping
> then you need to get them planed. If it occurs, then it usually happens
> on the heads. I would suggest getting the heads plained anyway. It will
> give you a little more compression and therefore a little more power. You
> should also check the compression rates of the valve springs. They can
> vary wildly over time and if they need replaced now is the time to do it.
> Maybe look into doing some port matching between the heads, intake and
> headers. Sanding the air pathways will also improve power output for
> little money. Actually, rebuilding the heads completely isn't a bad idea
> if you are keeping the stock parts.
>
> My bet is you can do the job but just take things slow and methodical.
> Document parts and keep track of where they they came from. It isn't a
> hard job to do, just a little tedious. Also, get a good manual with
> torque specs for bolts and have a couple of torque wrenches on had to
> torque the critical bolts to specs. You'll need one for the large bolts
> and another one for the smaller ones.
>
> One last thing is to do a thorough compression test before you start. If
> the short block needs work then doing all the upper engine work will be a
> waste of time. There are ways to determine if compression loss is due to
> the heads or piston rings. In the old days we would do a test normally
> and then shoot higher viscosity oil into the combustion chamber through
> the spark plug hole and run another test. This will seal the rings better
> on the compression stroke of that cylinder. If the second test showed
> much higher compression than the first then there is a good chance the
> cylinder walls were scored or the rings were bad for that cylinder. Don't
> fill the chamber with oil though and do this on a warm engine.

Watch out for the thickness of the gasket, you can change compression up or
down via thickness of gasket.
If you put on a blower, increase thickness of gasket to lower compression
some.

I would check compression on all cylinders first and see if they read in the
40 to 50 range, they all need to be within about 10% of each other, if you
have a high one, like 57 or above, you may have too much carbon built-up
inside the cylinder, so..... rebuild time ? or if you have low compression,
leaky rings or valves etc.

Good luck, the 5.0 is a Great Car!

Old January 31st 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
scott and barb

And those with auto trannys, dont be surprised if Radiator trans cooler
fails and mixes trans fluid in your radiator water.Talk about an attention
grabber!And dont tell me it cant happen,My E-150 with a 5.0 HO (yes,HO)
exhibited these symptoms.trans wasnt hurt,pressure greater on trans side I
guess.
"gernic" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> "Jim C" > wrote in message
> >I have an 89 LX 5.0 convertible 5 spd. I'm having a problem, and
> > wanted some advice, and maybe a pep talk. I'm trying to keep this car
> > running, on a tight budget, with a kid in college, and another in
> > private school...
> >
> > Here's the problem: I have no heat, and a low coolant level.

> no heat => could be the control wire fell off the lever on the heater box,
> just under the dash on passenger side, I had an 87 5.0 where it would

work

Old February 1st 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_2_]

Michael Johnson > wrote in news:_8adnT-
:

> For the 302 engines I don't think it pays to just
> install an intake and leave the stock heads in place.

mmmmmmmmm.... GT40 heads.........
Old February 1st 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Fleagle

what is even more of an attention grabber is when the harmonic balancer goes
out!

Old February 5th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

Two things first, did you replace your radiator cap with one of the correct
poundage and did you remember to replace the restricktor in the hot water
hose going into the firewall.

Old February 5th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

PS I have no idea where the spell checker came up with that word.

Old December 24th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Biggest pain you would most likely run into with doing the job yourself is
adjusting the valves (rockers)... Takes a bit of experience for that, the
rest is rather basic with a Chilton or Haynes manual.

~John
www.StreetShowDriftDrags.com

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Need Advice [email protected] Technology 2 December 21st 06 06:57 PM
Need advice on oil Steve West Audi 10 October 24th 05 07:22 PM
a6 advice [email protected] Audi 3 October 18th 05 04:56 PM
some advice please Pi-Eyed Piper Jeep 29 September 28th 05 03:16 AM
Need advice on Buy New Car [email protected] Technology 4 June 14th 05 10:08 PM