Dodge Caravan 2002 Transmission Problem

Old October 21st 05, 06:32 PM
Stam

Default Dodge Caravan 2002 Transmission Problem

Hi all,
I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan automatic transmission, currently with 80K miles
(mostly highway).
Since about 20K miles I started feeling some "bang" noise down shifting to
second gear.
The dealer says all is OK. They replaced pump, changed computer settings and
flushed computer software but nothing helps. When I asked them to hookup
that computer thing that logs events they found every excuse in the world
not to do so.
The problem is getting worse (and the warranty will expire soon) any ideas
(on top of going to another transmission place)?

Thank You

Old October 21st 05, 08:37 PM

"Stam" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all,
> I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan automatic transmission, currently with 80K

miles
> (mostly highway).
> Since about 20K miles I started feeling some "bang" noise down shifting to
> second gear.
> The dealer says all is OK. They replaced pump, changed computer settings

and
> flushed computer software but nothing helps. When I asked them to hookup
> that computer thing that logs events they found every excuse in the world
> not to do so.
> The problem is getting worse (and the warranty will expire soon) any ideas
> (on top of going to another transmission place)?
>
> Thank You

Dodge has had a lot of transmission problems over the past decade, but I
thought
that most of them had been ironed out by 2002. Maybe not

The Caravan in particular was a problematic model because a lot of the
smaller
RE variant transmissions were used, and they just did not hold up well at
all.

Some say that the use of nonconforming transmission fluid caused a lot of
the
problems. Special fluids are available and must be used.

In addition, Chrysler made a lot of changes to try to toughen up this
series.

A little later they introduced the 545RFE transmission (in about 2000?). I
haven't
kept up with them but they were believed to be much more durable and
reliable.

I wouldn't let the warranty expire before I got this solved. It could get
expensive.

Old October 22nd 05, 12:09 AM
larry moe 'n curly

Stam wrote:

> I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan automatic transmission, currently
> with 80K miles mostly highway). Since about 20K miles I
> started feeling some "bang" noise down shifting to second gear.
> The dealer says all is OK. They replaced pump, changed computer
> settings and flushed computer software but nothing helps. When
> I asked them to hookup that computer thing that logs events
> they found every excuse in the world not to do so.

Considering the cost of a new transmission, I would insist on having
the computer hooked up, even if I had to pay for it or go to another
dealer. And I would want a printout or at least something in writing
detailing the log.

Have you tried another dealer? I've learned that the one that sells
the vehicle is not necessarily the one that will provide the best
service, even during the warranty period (in AZ, Sanderson Ford -
lousy. Sunset Ford - great). I would file a complaint with
www.bbb.org and, if the dealer is AAA approved, with AAA (provides
binding arbitration that has real teeth, binding only on the garage,
not the customer, whether you're an AAA member or not).

Have you asked in some brand-specific forums, such as
www.dodgetalk.com, www.dodgeforum.com, www.chryslerforum.com, or
www.chrysler-forum.com?

Old October 22nd 05, 05:47 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> Consumer Reports says the problem rate for transmissions is:
>
> _______Chrysler minivans_________average vehicle_______
>
> 2004:_____very low__________________very low
> 2003:_____low_______________________very low
> 2002:_____average___________________low
> 2001:_____low_______________________low
> 2000:_____very high_________________low
> 1999:_____very high_________________low
> 1998:_____high______________________low
> 1997:_____high______________________average

This asinine chart, together with basic knowledge of what transmissions
were used in Chrysler minivans in which model years, does a splendid job
of telling us all we need to know about the veracity of Condemner Retards'
"research".

Old October 22nd 05, 06:32 AM
the fly

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:32:56 GMT, "Stam" > wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan automatic transmission, currently with 80K miles
>(mostly highway).
>Since about 20K miles I started feeling some "bang" noise down shifting to
>second gear.
>The dealer says all is OK. They replaced pump, changed computer settings and
>flushed computer software but nothing helps. When I asked them to hookup
>that computer thing that logs events they found every excuse in the world
>not to do so.
>The problem is getting worse (and the warranty will expire soon) any ideas
>(on top of going to another transmission place)?
>
>Thank You

Direct their attention to Service Bulletin number 21-004-05,
which describes your problem and the fix.
If they replaced the front pump (part of this bulletin's
instructions), I'm surprised they didn't connect to the powertrain
module and read fault codes. Part of the repair is to verify that the
controller is at the latest software revision level. If they really
did as you say, it should be OK. Keep hounding them until they fix
it. The bulletin specifically says this is covered under warranty.
Old October 23rd 05, 02:16 PM
larry moe 'n curly

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, larry moe 'n curly wrote:
>
> > Consumer Reports says the problem rate for transmissions is:
> >
> > _______Chrysler minivans_________average vehicle_______
> >
> > 2004:_____very low__________________very low
> > 2003:_____low_______________________very low
> > 2002:_____average___________________low
> > 2001:_____low_______________________low
> > 2000:_____very high_________________low
> > 1999:_____very high_________________low
> > 1998:_____high______________________low
> > 1997:_____high______________________average

> This asinine chart, together with basic knowledge of what transmissions
> were used in Chrysler minivans in which model years, does a splendid job
> of telling us all we need to know about the veracity of Condemner Retards'
> "research".

Then where are we supposed to get our information, from friends and
mechanics who still believe that Chevys and Fords are great and "Jap
stuff" is junk? Those of us who aren't experts or industry insiders
have very few other sources of reliability information, but it seems
that CR's overall reliability scores coincide well with Popular
Mechanics' and the records that one large fleet leasing company keeps.

CR reliability surveys do seem to get it right for digital cameras,
TVs, and central air conditioners (A/C experts seem to agree except for
York, which they hold in higher regard), so why should they be so wrong
about cars?

Old October 23rd 05, 07:56 PM
MaceFace

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> This asinine chart, together with basic knowledge of what transmissions
> were used in Chrysler minivans in which model years, does a splendid job
> of telling us all we need to know about the veracity of Condemner Retards'
> "research".

So why did Chrysler respec the fluid 3-4 times since introducing their
1st 4-spd auto? Was it because they had no breakdown problems?

Old October 23rd 05, 08:54 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, MaceFace wrote:

>> This asinine chart, together with basic knowledge of what transmissions
>> were used in Chrysler minivans in which model years, does a splendid
>> job of telling us all we need to know about the veracity of Condemner
>> Retards' "research".

> So why did Chrysler respec the fluid 3-4 times since introducing their
> 1st 4-spd auto? Was it because they had no breakdown problems?

The question is a complete nonsequitur. Are you still interested in the
answer?