Downshifting

Old November 3rd 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

Default Downshifting

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> On 2006-11-03, Don Bruder > wrote:
>
> >> I sometimes practice up/down shifting without the clutch. Now
> >> that's pretty much a useless skill, but it's sort of fun.

> > You'll not think it useless if/when the clutch slave cup goes away on
> > you 50 miles from the middle of nowhere... Being able to get it home
> > without needing the clutch is a *MAJOR* Good Thing <TM> that a whole
> > bunch of people who drive sticks never learn to do.

> How do you handle stopping and starting?

When you stop the car, you stall it. When you want to move again, you
can put the car in first gear, turn the key, and the car will start and
begin to move all together.

--
'It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix.'
"It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix'

'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
Old November 3rd 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

Downshift; If you need to. If you want to keep RPM up in the torque
range. To slow down ? NO ! Your brakes are far better used for that.

If you are a "trucker" then, YES, down shift and depending on the age
and type if truck and gear box, "Double-clutch" for up or down shifting.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old November 3rd 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Bruder

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> On 2006-11-03, Don Bruder > wrote:
>
> >> I sometimes practice up/down shifting without the clutch. Now
> >> that's pretty much a useless skill, but it's sort of fun.

> > You'll not think it useless if/when the clutch slave cup goes away on
> > you 50 miles from the middle of nowhere... Being able to get it home
> > without needing the clutch is a *MAJOR* Good Thing <TM> that a whole
> > bunch of people who drive sticks never learn to do.

> How do you handle stopping and starting?

First, defeat whatever %(*#^^%#%%$ interlock the idiots put on the car
to prevent cranking while in gear/clutch engaged. (Second thing that
happens with any stickshift vehicle I own, after changing the oil and
filters on taking possession)

After that, stopping is a matter of clutchless downshifting (play with
the throttle to match revs to current gear/ground speed to allow popping
it out of gear. Play with throttle some more to match revs, ground
speed, and target gear. Pop in. Sounds harder than it is, once you're
familiar with the car, and once you get even REASONABLY good at it, can
be done with little or no grinding.) until you get to first. Brake, and
either stall it out, shut it off, or pop it out of gear and then shut it
off as you come to a stop. Another alternative is to just pop it out and
coast into the stop.

Starting is dead-simple: Put it in first, and crank until it fires.
Tough on the starter, among other things, so not recommended for more
than emergency "get it home/someplace to work on it" situations, but
works. After you're rolling, it's just a matter of matching revs, ground
speed, and gears.

Like I said, it's much easier than it sounds - *IF* you're familiar with
the vehicle. If you don't *KNOW* your shift-points, you're never going
to manage it. But then, by my standards, if you don't have at least a
real good idea of what your ground speed should be when revving (for
instance) 2500 in third gear - for my 626, that would be somewhere
between 34 and 37 MPH, depending on what size tires I've got on the rear
end at the time - you're not "familiar enough" with the vehicle to be
trying it.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old November 3rd 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Don Bruder wrote:
> In article >,
> Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> (Dave) wrote:
>>
>>> Heal-toe is a worthwhile skill, one I'm pathetic at.

>> No biggie, just don't bother applying for a residency in podiatry.
>>
>> [the devil made me type that]

> Now you're just being podantic...

You really shoedn't have said that.....

Pat
Old November 3rd 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-11-03, Alan Baker > wrote:

>>> You'll not think it useless if/when the clutch slave cup goes away on
>>> you 50 miles from the middle of nowhere... Being able to get it home
>>> without needing the clutch is a *MAJOR* Good Thing <TM> that a whole
>>> bunch of people who drive sticks never learn to do.

>> How do you handle stopping and starting?

> When you stop the car, you stall it. When you want to move again, you
> can put the car in first gear, turn the key, and the car will start and
> begin to move all together.

That sounds nerve-wracking.

I thought maybe you had to get everybody out and push like in
"Little Miss Sunshine" (a movie involving a trip in an old VW
bus with a broken clutch).

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Not SENSUOUS... only
at "FROLICSOME"... and in
Old November 3rd 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-11-03, Don Bruder > wrote:

>> How do you handle stopping and starting?

> First, defeat whatever %(*#^^%#%%$ interlock the idiots put on the car
> to prevent cranking while in gear/clutch engaged.

That's the tricky part if you didn't think of it until you're
stuck in a large empty parking lot after you return from a
business trip and find your clutch no longer works.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! My forehead feels
at like a PACKAGE of moist
Old November 3rd 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Bruder

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> On 2006-11-03, Don Bruder > wrote:
>
> >> How do you handle stopping and starting?

> > First, defeat whatever %(*#^^%#%%$ interlock the idiots put on the car
> > to prevent cranking while in gear/clutch engaged.

> That's the tricky part if you didn't think of it until you're
> stuck in a large empty parking lot after you return from a
> business trip and find your clutch no longer works.

Which is why, as I noted, it's the second thing that happens after I
take posession of the vehicle. (Third is removing or permanently
silencing those damned "door ajar" and "fasten seat belts" noisemakers)

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

2002 Mustang 6cyl -Automatic slow response to downshifting [email protected] Ford Mustang 3 October 27th 06 01:23 PM
Hard Downshifting Spdloader Jeep 18 November 27th 05 01:47 AM
downshifting automatic to slow down [email protected] Dodge 6 November 16th 05 01:47 PM
3.3L downshifting by self after replacing Engine Bob Warmen Chrysler 8 October 12th 04 05:39 PM