MPG after belt + change.

Old October 29th 05, 06:06 AM
Juan Hanglow

Default MPG after belt + change.

A4 2.4 SE V6 '97

I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including
water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
29..............would this be expected.

Old October 29th 05, 11:55 AM
R@L

"Juan Hanglow" > wrote in message
> A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
>
> I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including
> water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
> 29..............would this be expected.

Must be something else like tire pressure or outside temperature or
whatever.

Ronald

Old October 29th 05, 04:18 PM
Jonathan Morton

"Juan Hanglow" > wrote in message
> A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
>
> I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including
> water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
> 29..............would this be expected.

I woke up this morning and within 5 minutes it started raining :-)

Regards

Jonathan

Old October 29th 05, 05:35 PM
Chris Bartram

Juan Hanglow wrote:
> A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
>
> I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including
> water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
> 29..............would this be expected.

If the mechanic changing it got the timing wrong it could do- if for
example the valvegear was out by one tooth it would be enough to affect
performance but might not damage the engine.
Old October 29th 05, 05:41 PM
daytripper

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:18:18 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan Morton"
> wrote:

>"Juan Hanglow" > wrote in message
>> A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
>>
>> I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including
>> water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
>> 29..............would this be expected.

>I woke up this morning and within 5 minutes it started raining :-)

Stay in bed tomorrow, I have plans to go fishing ;-)
Old October 29th 05, 06:22 PM
Jonathan Morton

"Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
. uk...
> Juan Hanglow wrote:
> > A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
> >
> > I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back,

including
> > water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
> > 29..............would this be expected.
> >

> If the mechanic changing it got the timing wrong it could do- if for
> example the valvegear was out by one tooth it would be enough to affect
> performance but might not damage the engine.

That thought crossed my mind after I posted my earlier, frivolous, reply.
But even one tooth would cause a huge loss of power/performance, wouldn't
it?

Juan, is performance otherwise unaffected?

Regards

Jonathan

Old October 29th 05, 06:52 PM
Juan Hanglow

"Jonathan Morton" > wrote in
message ...
> "Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>> Juan Hanglow wrote:
>> > A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
>> >
>> > I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back,

> including
>> > water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
>> > 29..............would this be expected.
>> >

>> If the mechanic changing it got the timing wrong it could do- if for
>> example the valvegear was out by one tooth it would be enough to affect
>> performance but might not damage the engine.

> That thought crossed my mind after I posted my earlier, frivolous, reply.
> But even one tooth would cause a huge loss of power/performance, wouldn't
> it?
>
> Juan, is performance otherwise unaffected?
>
> Regards
>
> Jonathan

no, performance is much the same, if anything a little better. This made me
think it adjusted the timing a little................so if that's the case
then it would consume a little more fuel. This with the added thought that
everything is tight and may require more power. The job was carried out by a
very competent garage..........I made sure about that.

Old October 29th 05, 07:53 PM
SteveH

Juan Hanglow > wrote:

> A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
>
> I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including
> water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
> 29..............would this be expected.

How do you notice something like that?

My mpg varies wildly on a weekly basis.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old October 29th 05, 08:04 PM
Juan Hanglow

"SteveH" > wrote in message
k...
> Juan Hanglow > wrote:
>
>> A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
>>
>> I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including
>> water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
>> 29..............would this be expected.

> How do you notice something like that?
>
> My mpg varies wildly on a weekly basis.
> --
> Steve H 'You're not a real petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa Romeo'
> http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300 - Alfa 75 TSpark
> Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
> BoTAFOT #87 - BoTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #

the digital onboard computer tells me and cos I got a policy..........keep
the revs between 1500-2500 on average.......55/60mph. I also use minor B
roads most of the time.

Old October 29th 05, 08:08 PM
SteveH

Juan Hanglow > wrote:

> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> k...
> > Juan Hanglow > wrote:
> >
> >> A4 2.4 SE V6 '97
> >>
> >> I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including
> >> water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to
> >> 29..............would this be expected.

> > How do you notice something like that?
> >
> > My mpg varies wildly on a weekly basis.
> > --

> the digital onboard computer tells me and cos I got a policy..........keep
> the revs between 1500-2500 on average.......55/60mph. I also use minor B
> roads most of the time.

Mine tells me too (in my 'budget' A4.....), but I don't really pay much
notice of it. Last tank was 26.9mpg, but I've seen as much as 35.5mpg.

I certainly couldn't see a pattern in it.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL