Remote start for standard transmission?

Old December 15th 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Remote start for standard transmission?

Now that I'm heading into my first Minnesota winter in a long
time without heated parking, I've been getting a bit jealous of
people with remote starters. I know I should just tough it
out, but that aluminum shift knob gets pretty cold and I hate
wearing gloves while driving.

All of the remote start systems I've seen claimed to be for
auto transmissions only, but I would think that with a bit of
creative wiring, one could get one to work with a standard
transmission.

If one wanted remote-start for a standard transmission, you'd
have to bypass the clutch/starter interlock switch. I don't
think I'd be comfortable doing that unless there was a neutral
switch that would prevent the remote starter from kicking in
whith the transmission in gear.

Do Miata's have a neutral-switch that could be used for such an
interlock?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! What GOOD is a
at CARDBOARD suitcase ANYWAY?
Old December 15th 05, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

You'll be trying to turn the tranny (in neutral) over along with the
engine - ain't gonna make it some mornings.

Old December 15th 05, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2005-12-15, miker > wrote:

> You'll be trying to turn the tranny (in neutral) over along with the
> engine - ain't gonna make it some mornings.

Darn. You're right. That hadn't occured to me. At -20F, the
engine running at idle has a hard time turning the cold
transmission in neutral. A battery that's also at -20F
probably isn't going to do it.

Maybe a remote controlled block heater...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. does your DRESSING
at ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?
Old December 15th 05, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> Maybe a remote controlled block heater...

That's a much better idea than letting your engine idle for more than a
minute. Think about all that unburned fuel dripping down the cylinder
walls and contaminating your oil. Start the car, fasten the seatbelt,
and drive away, gently. At -20, there's no way around gloves and a knit
hat.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 15th 05, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"miker" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> You'll be trying to turn the tranny (in neutral) over along with the
> engine - ain't gonna make it some mornings.
>

> > Now that I'm heading into my first Minnesota winter in a long
> > time without heated parking, I've been getting a bit jealous of
> > people with remote starters.

The extra drag of a cold trans isn't that great at starting speeds. I
disabled the clutch switch on Miata and my Toyota truck mainly so I could
start the engine with the car in neutral.
I don't run the Miata in bad weather, but I do use the truck and it has
started at -10F while in neutral.
I use a block heater on my Benz diesel-auto trans- and it works quite well.

Old December 16th 05, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> Maybe a remote controlled block heater...

Oh man, I gotta story...

This girl I dated had an old beater. One hot summer day she managed to flood
it and ran the battery down trying to start it. So... she plugged in the
block heater. That's what you do when it won't start, right? Musta been 95
that day.

miker

Old December 16th 05, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chas Hurst" > wrote:

>"miker" > wrote in message
link.net...
>> You'll be trying to turn the tranny (in neutral) over along with the
>> engine - ain't gonna make it some mornings.
>>

>> > Now that I'm heading into my first Minnesota winter in a long
>> > time without heated parking, I've been getting a bit jealous of
>> > people with remote starters.

>The extra drag of a cold trans isn't that great at starting speeds. I
>disabled the clutch switch on Miata and my Toyota truck mainly so I could
>start the engine with the car in neutral.

Is there something I do not see? Why do you want start without disengaging
the clutch? Is not the less parts moving along, the better?

>I don't run the Miata in bad weather, but I do use the truck and it has
>started at -10F while in neutral.
>I use a block heater on my Benz diesel-auto trans- and it works quite well.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 16th 05, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Chas Hurst" > wrote:
> >The extra drag of a cold trans isn't that great at starting speeds. I
> >disabled the clutch switch on Miata and my Toyota truck mainly so I could
> >start the engine with the car in neutral.

> Is there something I do not see? Why do you want start without

disengaging
> the clutch? Is not the less parts moving along, the better?
>
> Leon

I dislike placing thrust loads on the crankshaft before the oil is
circulating. A few parts in the transmission add no appreciable load to the
starter.
Automatic transmission are turned with the starter aren't they?

Old December 16th 05, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> Is there something I do not see? Why do you want start without
disengaging
> the clutch?

Because he's not in the car, he's inside with the remote.

miker

Old December 16th 05, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2005-12-15, Chas Hurst > wrote:

>> You'll be trying to turn the tranny (in neutral) over along with the
>> engine - ain't gonna make it some mornings.

> The extra drag of a cold trans isn't that great at starting
> speeds.

I have doubts the engine will be able start with that much load
on it. There have been more than a few times when I've had to
give it some throttle so the engine had enough torque to turn
the transmission in neutral. Assuming the battery and starter
can provide enough torque, maybe the ECU is smart enough to
compensate for a heavy load while starting.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! PEGGY FLEMING is
at stealing BASKET BALLS to