Basic Horsepower Upgrades

Old October 7th 05, 03:51 PM
ritchiekidd

Default Basic Horsepower Upgrades

I'm a rookie mazda owner.
I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions about how to increase the
horsepower via minor/inexpensive changes, such as exhaust or air
filters?

I'm not looking to make my car a racer, just a little bit more balls,
without sacrificing reliability.

Any specific part names/numbers and/or vendors would be appreicated.

thanks in adavance

Old October 7th 05, 04:46 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-10-07, ritchiekidd > wrote:

> I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions about how to
> increase the horsepower via minor/inexpensive changes, such as
> exhaust or air filters?

Forced air intake. A supercharger is easier to bolt-on than a
turbo, but offers less boost potential.

Or you can tape cow magnets to the fuel line and add one of
those tornado thingys. Of course it's entirely a placebo
effect, but you get what you pay for.

> I'm not looking to make my car a racer, just a little bit more
> balls, without sacrificing reliability.

Why do people think that the engineers at Mazda would miss
minor/inexpensive changes that increased HP without sacrificing
reliability??? There are entire teams of engineers that work
on that stuff 6 days a week. Yet somehow, soembody thinks they
can spend $20 and 20 minutes and do something that will provide
a real increase in HP.

If you want more power, a super/turbo charger is the only real
answer.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are you guys lined up
at for the METHADONE PROGRAM
Old October 7th 05, 05:25 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article .com>,
"ritchiekidd" > wrote:

> I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions about how to increase the
> horsepower via minor/inexpensive changes, such as exhaust or air
> filters?

Except for advancing the timing to 14BTDC (1990-97 cars only), there are
no inexpensive mods that make a noticeable difference. A $400 catback
might give you 3-5 hp, and a header up to 10 hp depending on the year of
your Miata. None of the intakes is worth fooling with, except the
Randall cowl intake will reduce the normal loss of power in hot weather.
If you have a 1.6, the GReddy turbo kit should add ~35 hp for $1300; for
later cars the bottom rung is the JR supercharger, about the same power
for around $3000. Past that, you'll need to upgrade the clutch and start
spending real money.

If you wanted a drag racer, you should have bought a Mustang. Instead of
wasting money under the hood, go with the Miata's strengths by improving
the suspension. Tires, shocks, swaybars, and alignment will make a
difference you can use every mile you drive.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

Old October 7th 05, 05:47 PM
Dana H. Myers

ritchiekidd wrote:
> Hey Grant - No need to be a dick about it. . .

You only get to make one first impression.

Old October 7th 05, 05:51 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-10-07, ritchiekidd > wrote:

> Hey Grant - No need to be a dick about it. . .

Sorry you thought I was being a dick. I've always thought your
question was insulting to us engineers.

> Why do people think that the engineers at Mazda would miss
> minor/inexpensive changes that increased HP without sacrificing
> reliability??? There are entire teams of engineers that work
> on that stuff 6 days a week. Yet somehow, soembody thinks they
> can spend $20 and 20 minutes and do something that will provide
> a real increase in HP.

Hey, it's an honest question.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Am I elected yet?
at
Old October 7th 05, 08:21 PM
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> If you wanted a drag racer, you should have bought a Mustang. Instead of
> wasting money under the hood, go with the Miata's strengths by improving
> the suspension. Tires, shocks, swaybars, and alignment will make a
> difference you can use every mile you drive.
>
> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

Your statement about getting a Mustang instead of increasing a Miata's
horsepower is idiotic at best.
I am sure that the people at Flying Miata would disagree that turbos for
miatas are a waste of money, or that a turbo is installed only to make
the car a drag racer.

It might be best to also not waste money under the car, say, on a FM
dual exhaust system that is hooked up to an engine without forced
induction. What a waste of *your* money since *I* do not like how that
exhaust looks.

My car has upgraded tires, shocks, sways, and alignment. Has adding a
turbo ruined all of that?

Pat
Old October 7th 05, 10:01 PM
Christopher Muto

don't underestimate the importance of the wires. change the spark plug
cables every 30k and the plugs every 15k... get genuine miata cables or look
up comments of aftermartket cables in the garage section of miata.net.

oups.com...

Old October 7th 05, 11:18 PM
Dave

In article >, Grant Edwards > wrote:
>On 2005-10-07, ritchiekidd > wrote:
>
>> Hey Grant - No need to be a dick about it. . .

>Sorry you thought I was being a dick. I've always thought your
>question was insulting to us engineers.
>
>> Why do people think that the engineers at Mazda would miss
>> minor/inexpensive changes that increased HP without sacrificing
>> reliability??? There are entire teams of engineers that work
>> on that stuff 6 days a week. Yet somehow, soembody thinks they
>> can spend $20 and 20 minutes and do something that will provide
>> a real increase in HP.

>Hey, it's an honest question.

I thought the original question, while an oft asked one, is totally
legit and deserved a better response. But I'd agree the answer is
other than forced induction, not much hp to be found for any
reasonable $$. He's already received good advice.

Now why might we engineers not have supplied that power right of the
bat? I can think of a few reasons: emissions, longevity, economy,
drivability tradeoffs. Or marketing (ie.e. why give a lot of hp in
a base model when you can sell it for a lot more in an uplevel?).
The latter wasn't the case with the Miata, but I would bet it has
been done with many another car.

Old October 7th 05, 11:32 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-10-07, Dave > wrote:

> Now why might we engineers not have supplied that power right of the
> bat? I can think of a few reasons: emissions, longevity, economy,
> drivability tradeoffs. Or marketing (ie.e. why give a lot of hp in
> a base model when you can sell it for a lot more in an uplevel?).
> The latter wasn't the case with the Miata, but I would bet it has
> been done with many another car.

And possibly insurability. One of the reasons often cited for
the low cost of Miata insurance is that the HP is below some
particular value that separates "economy" cars from "sports" in
the minds of the actuaries.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Darling, my ELBOW
at is FLYING over FRANKFURT,

20+ Horsepower Increase for your BMW. RaceMOD Performance chip only $29.99 RaceMOD BMW 6 November 6th 05 05:00 AM
Why you should never buy a car without a tachometer Ted B. Driving 112 September 19th 05 04:09 AM
Guess on horsepower??? Willis Technology 10 August 4th 05 10:37 PM
Upgrades for '04 S4 Pete Stolz Audi 1 February 17th 05 10:13 AM
Horsepower Still Sells [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 January 13th 05 05:45 AM