Sealant for leaky alumin(i)um wheel rim?

Old December 17th 17, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Sealant for leaky alumin(i)um wheel rim?

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 2:52:21 PM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> I have one tire that always loses pressure faster than the others --
> even after a tire replacement, so I am suspecting that the alloy wheel
> itself is leaking -- ether through porosity of the alloy itself (not
> unknown, I understand) or through corrosion or other damage to the rim.
>
> I have read that sealants are available to deal with this problem, but I
> have been unable to locate any -- except a huge drum of the stuff for
> $2000+. Can anybody suggest a suitable product -- preferably by brand name?
>
> Perce

Squirt some soapy water all around the rim (both sides) and the valve stem and look for bubbles. If you see bubbles around the valve stem replace it. If there are bubbles at some spot(s) along the rubber/rim interface, 1) unseat the bead at the leaky area(s), 2)thoroughly dry the rubber and the rim if they are still wet from the soapy water, 3)lay a thin layer of silicone seal on the rubber, 4)reseat the tire bead on the rim with a big dose of compressed air. Worked for me after the tire man did two unsuccessful tries using his standard thin rim sealant. Good luck.
Old December 18th 17, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 3:51:32 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 2:52:21 PM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> > I have one tire that always loses pressure faster than the others --
> > even after a tire replacement, so I am suspecting that the alloy wheel
> > itself is leaking -- ether through porosity of the alloy itself (not
> > unknown, I understand) or through corrosion or other damage to the rim.
> >
> > I have read that sealants are available to deal with this problem, but I
> > have been unable to locate any -- except a huge drum of the stuff for
> > $2000+. Can anybody suggest a suitable product -- preferably by brand name?
> >
> > Perce

> Squirt some soapy water all around the rim (both sides) and the valve stem and look for bubbles. If you see bubbles around the valve stem replace it. If there are bubbles at some spot(s) along the rubber/rim interface, 1) unseat the bead at the leaky area(s), 2)thoroughly dry the rubber and the rim if they are still wet from the soapy water, 3)lay a thin layer of silicone seal on the rubber, 4)reseat the tire bead on the rim with a big dose of compressed air. Worked for me after the tire man did two unsuccessful tries using his standard thin rim sealant. Good luck.

If you can't put some fast air in the tire, squirt some either in there and throw a match at it, be prepared to run FAST!
Old December 18th 17, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

wrote in
:

> On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 3:51:32 PM UTC-6,
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 2:52:21 PM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy
>> wro

> te:
>> > I have one tire that always loses pressure faster than the others
>> > -- even after a tire replacement, so I am suspecting that the alloy
>> > wheel

>> > itself is leaking -- ether through porosity of the alloy itself
>> > (not unknown, I understand) or through corrosion or other damage to
>> > the rim.
>> >
>> > I have read that sealants are available to deal with this problem,
>> > but

>> > have been unable to locate any -- except a huge drum of the stuff
>> > for

>> > $2000+. Can anybody suggest a suitable product -- preferably by
>> > brand n

> ame?
>> >
>> > Perce

>> Squirt some soapy water all around the rim (both sides) and the valve
>> ste

> m and look for bubbles. If you see bubbles around the valve stem
> replace it. If there are bubbles at some spot(s) along the rubber/rim
> interface, 1) unseat the bead at the leaky area(s), 2)thoroughly dry
> the rubber and the rim if they are still wet from the soapy water,
> 3)lay a thin layer of silicone seal on the rubber, 4)reseat the tire
> bead on the rim with a big dose of compressed air. Worked for me
> after the tire man did two unsuccessful tries using his standard thin
> rim sealant. Good luck.
>
> If you can't put some fast air in the tire, squirt some either in
> there and throw a match at it, be prepared to run FAST!

that is all crap, you take the tire off the rim, then use a powered wire
brush on the seating area, once the rim is clean of oxidized alum, then
put tire lube and reasemble. Have not had one rim that wasnt compleatly
shot leak again. KB

liquid sealant? nrs Jeep 8 August 4th 08 07:05 PM
Sealant C VW water cooled 3 January 30th 07 03:34 AM
66 sealant Q Mark C. Ford Mustang 2 November 18th 05 08:58 PM
RTV Sealant Eric VW air cooled 16 July 7th 05 05:25 AM
R12 freon sealant ? Henry Kolesnik Technology 11 May 21st 05 04:26 PM