What's so special about gear oil that it's 70 bucks a gallon?

Old August 19th 17, 04:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bram van den Heuvel

Default What's so special about gear oil that it's 70 bucks a gallon?

What's so special about GL4 manual transmission gear oil that it's 70 bucks
a gallon?
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7
Old August 19th 17, 05:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 03:53:04 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
> wrote:

>What's so special about GL4 manual transmission gear oil that it's 70 bucks
>a gallon?
>https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

You are looking at a high end synthetic oil. GL4 is getting a bit
harder to find, but lots of GL5 for uder $25 a gallon in the USA - a
bit more in Canada. Walmart USA carries LubKing GL4 90 weight for $32
a gallon.
Old August 19th 17, 06:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bram van den Heuvel

Given >,
> wrote:

> You are looking at a high end synthetic oil. GL4 is getting a bit
> harder to find, but lots of GL5 for uder $25 a gallon in the USA - a
> bit more in Canada. Walmart USA carries LubKing GL4 90 weight for $32
> a gallon.

I'm told to get either Amsoil or Redline GL4 because it's for a Toyota W59
transmission with yellow metal that can be stripped off by GL5 additives
(plus there are no hypoid gears in the manual transmission).

So it's going to be GL-4 but which one?

Even the Amsoil is $70 per gallon.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...r-lube-75w-90/

What's so special about these two fluids that makes them "worth" 70 dollars
a gallon?
Old August 19th 17, 01:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Dean Hoffman[_5_]

On 8/18/17 10:53 PM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
> What's so special about GL4 manual transmission gear oil that it's 70 bucks
> a gallon?
> https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

Have you checked Amazon, NAPA, or farm supply stores like Tractor
Supply,
Rural King, or Orscheln? The first one that pops up at Amazon is $35.
Old August 19th 17, 01:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 8/19/2017 1:42 AM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
> Given >,
> > wrote:
>
>> You are looking at a high end synthetic oil. GL4 is getting a bit
>> harder to find, but lots of GL5 for uder $25 a gallon in the USA - a
>> bit more in Canada. Walmart USA carries LubKing GL4 90 weight for $32
>> a gallon.

> I'm told to get either Amsoil or Redline GL4 because it's for a Toyota W59
> transmission with yellow metal that can be stripped off by GL5 additives
> (plus there are no hypoid gears in the manual transmission).
>
> So it's going to be GL-4 but which one?
>
> Even the Amsoil is $70 per gallon.
> https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...r-lube-75w-90/
>
> What's so special about these two fluids that makes them "worth" 70 dollars
> a gallon?

Synthetics last longer and lubricate (reduce friction) better. Most of
us don't need it but if you are planning yo keep the vehicle for a long
time, use it under harsh conditions, it is worth the extra money.

Corvettes come from the factory with synthetic engine oil. The Cruze
does not.

Old August 19th 17, 01:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bram van den Heuvel

Given <news > wrote:

> Have you checked Amazon, NAPA, or farm supply stores like Tractor
> Supply,
> Rural King, or Orscheln? The first one that pops up at Amazon is $35.

I admit I'm running off of fear since all the Toyota guys say that you must
use either Amsoil or Royal Purple or Redline GL4 75W90 in the manual
transmission.

Even the Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil is $60 per gallon.
https://skspeed.com/royal-purple-013...-gl-5-1-quart/

All I want to know is what's so special about these gear oils that they
cost $60 to $70 a gallon (where I need about a gallon)?

Looking up the gear oils, I find technical information but nothing answers
my question which is why I asked here.

A study of automotive gear lubes
http://www.technilube.com/brochures/...hite_paper.pdf
Old August 19th 17, 02:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bram van den Heuvel

Given >, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Synthetics last longer and lubricate (reduce friction) better. Most of
> us don't need it but if you are planning yo keep the vehicle for a long
> time, use it under harsh conditions, it is worth the extra money.
>
> Corvettes come from the factory with synthetic engine oil. The Cruze
> does not.

I didn't realize these are "synthetics" as compared to whatever "normal"
gear oil is. Is that what's so special about what everyone seems to
recommend on the Toyota forum?

They all recommend mostly Redline, but sometimes Amsoil and less often
Royal Purple, all of which are over $60 and closer to $70 per gallon.

Looking up what I'm supposed to use, I found this paper which said not to
use GL5 and yet the Royal Purple is GL4/GL5 which this paper says is GL5.
http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

All I'm looking for is information to make a decision as to what to put in
a very old (decades) W59 Toyota 5-speed which has synchronizers and yellow
metal.
Old August 19th 17, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bram van den Heuvel

Given >, Stormin' Norman
> wrote:

> The specific products you mentioned above are all synthetic lubricants
> and cost more to manufacture, hence, they are more expensive at retail
> than their non-synthetic counterparts.

I think I have the answer as to "why" now, which is that the synthetics
cost about $70 per gallon while the not synthetics cost about half that, at
around $35/gallon.

But why, when motor oil is commonly half that still, is gear oil at even
$35 per gallon, but much more importantly, what would be a reason to choose
between the $35/gallon SAE 75W90 GL-4 gear oil versus the $70/gallon stuff.

Is it all due to synthetics?
Are synthetics better for a two-decade old 5-speed manual transmission?

The reason I'm looking is that the shifting is getting harder to get into
gear lately, so someone suggested putting the high end transmission fluid.
Old August 19th 17, 03:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bill[_39_]

On 08/19/2017 08:54 AM, Bram van den Heuvel wrote:
> I admit I'm running off of fear since all the Toyota guys say that you must
> use either Amsoil or Royal Purple or Redline GL4 75W90 in the manual
> transmission.

Forum "blowhard know-it-alls" are a dime a dozen. I use whatever the mfg recommends.

Old August 19th 17, 03:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 05:42:37 +0000 (UTC), Bram van den Heuvel
> wrote:

>Given >,
> wrote:
>
>> You are looking at a high end synthetic oil. GL4 is getting a bit
>> harder to find, but lots of GL5 for uder $25 a gallon in the USA - a
>> bit more in Canada. Walmart USA carries LubKing GL4 90 weight for $32
>> a gallon.

>I'm told to get either Amsoil or Redline GL4 because it's for a Toyota W59
>transmission with yellow metal that can be stripped off by GL5 additives
>(plus there are no hypoid gears in the manual transmission).
>
>So it's going to be GL-4 but which one?
>
>Even the Amsoil is $70 per gallon.
>https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...r-lube-75w-90/
>
>What's so special about these two fluids that makes them "worth" 70 dollars
>a gallon?

Rerally nothing of you don't need synthetic. All you NEED is a simple
GL4 gear oil like the Walmart LubKing GL4. Synthetic doesn't thicken
as much in the cold, or thin as much in the heat, and MAY last a
little longer, but not enoughlonger to make it worth 4 times as much
(there isGL4 oil available for as little as about US$16 a gallon)

BMW Auto box gear select problem (offset drive gear???) Wierd richie BMW 36 May 28th 07 11:17 AM
95 Jetta Bucks JRE VW water cooled 7 April 30th 06 05:04 AM
1996 Grand Voyager bucks at idle in gear, but not in neutral or Park Matt Whiting Chrysler 8 November 17th 05 11:21 AM
2000 Civic EX bucks at 3k-3.5k RPM flynshoot Honda 9 October 14th 05 06:17 PM
Get Ready To Pay Four Bucks A Gallon [email protected] Ford Mustang 38 September 4th 05 03:06 AM