Junk/salvage question

Old July 18th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

Default Junk/salvage question

The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.

Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?

Thanks,

Mike
Old July 18th 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 15:16:16 -0700 (PDT), Michael
> wrote:

>The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.
>
>Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

Unless it's like... free, run.

BTW, is this a new car dealer, of some used car lot?
Old July 19th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_23_]

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 5:36:02 PM UTC-5, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 15:16:16 -0700 (PDT), Michael
> > wrote:
>
> >The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.
> >
> >Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Mike

> Unless it's like... free, run.
>
> BTW, is this a new car dealer, of some used car lot?

Used car lot. He says he's too small a dealer to get a CarFax. I poked through free CarFax as much as I could and it was last maintained in 2013 by a local Ford dealer up to 77K miles, but 4 years later the car is now advertised as having 75K.

I think it's time to move on.
Old July 19th 17, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill Vanek[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 16:00:40 -0700 (PDT), Michael
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 5:36:02 PM UTC-5, Bill Vanek wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 15:16:16 -0700 (PDT), Michael
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.
>> >
>> >Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Mike

>> Unless it's like... free, run.
>>
>> BTW, is this a new car dealer, of some used car lot?

>Used car lot. He says he's too small a dealer to get a CarFax. I poked through free CarFax as much as I could and it was last maintained in 2013 by a local Ford dealer up to 77K miles, but 4 years later the car is now advertised as having 75K.
>
>I think it's time to move on.

Absolutely. There's lots of used cars out there. And anyone can get a
carfax.
Old July 19th 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 12:16:19 PM UTC-10, Michael wrote:
> The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.
>
> Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I think you should grab this deal before it slips away. You need more excitement in your life.
Old July 19th 17, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Michael > wrote:
>The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.

It's likely the other way around, that it went through an insurance auction
because it was declared unrepairable.

>Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?

How much is it, and is it an interesting car? I bought a car with a salvage
title for $50, put in a week or so of work and 300,000 miles later I was still
driving it. I eventually got rid of it because I could no longer get the
most common parts anymore.

Just because it was declared junk doesn't mean it's not repairable, but it
does make me want to very, very carefully inspect the repair job.
--scott
Old July 19th 17, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 19 Jul 2017 09:18:52 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>Michael > wrote:
>>The used car dealer tells me that the 4 junk/salvage notes in the car's records are because it went through an insurance auction.

>It's likely the other way around, that it went through an insurance auction
>because it was declared unrepairable.

In general, there's no such thing as an "unrepairable" car.

>>Could this be the case, or should I run from this deal as fast as possible?

>How much is it, and is it an interesting car? I bought a car with a salvage
>title for $50, put in a week or so of work and 300,000 miles later I was still
>driving it.

That sounds like BS, a salvage yard alone would pay more for a car
that was able to be repaired in a week and lasted 300k miles,
particularly if it had an operational drive train.

>I eventually got rid of it because I could no longer get the
>most common parts anymore.
>
>Just because it was declared junk doesn't mean it's not repairable, but it
>does make me want to very, very carefully inspect the repair job.
>--scott

You said you did the repair. If it had been repaired before you
acquired it, it wouldn't have been salvage.

Ignoring the contradictions, when the misnomer unrepairable is used,
it only means the commercial cost of repair exceeds the item's book
value.
--
It's difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.

We Buy Junk Cars JR[_8_] Technology 10 June 29th 13 10:40 PM
how come new VW's appear to be junk? fox93 VW water cooled 17 December 2nd 12 12:48 AM
how come new VW's appear to be junk? PL[_2_] VW water cooled 0 September 6th 12 11:20 AM
Bad junk in gas lately. Mike Romain Technology 2 January 18th 09 10:50 PM
1995 Honda Passport -- Salvage Title Question ajpdla Honda 5 December 22nd 04 06:16 AM