New Type of Fuel Efficient Vehicle

Old September 5th 13, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

Default New Type of Fuel Efficient Vehicle

There's a new type of fuel efficient vehicle and the government is not interested at all.

The new fuel efficient vehicle is a motorized bicycle.

But isn't a motorized bicycle a mopad ? Well, according to most governments a motorized bicycle with an internal combustion engine is a mopad and that's the problem. A mopad, even if vehicle registration is not required, still requires DOT lights and DOT tires and this is out of the scope of a motorized bicycle. But see a motorized bicycle weighs about 100 pounds less than a mopad and thus only needs a bicycle frame a little on the heavy side and bicycle wheels and tires a little on the wide side.

There are three types of motorized bicycles:

The first type of motorized bicycle has a two-stroke engine between 50cc and 66cc size. Then there is a mechanical clutch but no transmission. So the key aspect to this motorized bicycle is the engine size and type along with the fact that it only has ONE GEAR. This motorized bicycle is cranked up by pedaling a few feet and then popping out the clutch. Then the clutch is only used again for coming to a stop except that the clutch could be pulled and latched and the engine turned off even while riding. These two-stoke engines are similar to chain-saw engines and they get hot. So the riding range is probably a four mile commute.

The next type of motorized bicycle has a four-stroke engine of 50cc size and an automatic transmission with an automatic centrifugal clutch. However since this motorized bicycle has more than one gear then it will probably exceed the 30 MPH speed limit associated with mopads. Also, the four-stoke engine found in bicycle kits is too large and shaped incorrectly to work well when set in a bicycle frame. The four-stroke engine is cranked-up with a pull cord. The riding range is probably a ten mile commute.

The last type of motorized bicycle is an electric motorized bicycle. Most governments recognize this type of motorized bicycle as a bicycle instead of a mopad if its top speed is 20 MPH or less. This type of motorized bicycle encourages assisted pedaling rather than total use of power. Range in totally powered mode is probably a ten mile round-trip commute.

Additional notes:

The internal combustion motorized bicycles are usually built from engine installation kits using a beach cruiser bicycle. However, there are some premium parts available to supplement the kits.

The electric motorized bicycles are often bought commercially but can be built from kits. Half the cost of this motorized bicycle could be in the lithium-ion batteries. An electric motorized bicycle wouldn't likely use heavier batteries.

The two-stroke motorized bicycles require oil mixed with gasoline.

Wheel size is often 26" x 2.125".

Simple springer forks are often used on motorized bicycles.

The two-stroke engine kits now include a catalytic muffler but expansion chambers are popular for performance.

A traditional 12-speed geared bicycle, without motor, can be ridden at 30 MPH on level ground by pumping heavy pedals in a big gear. It's just a lot of work. And so riding a motorized bicycle at 30 MPH is not really an increase in skill level.

Bottom line:

If you have a four mile one way commute, the motorized bicycle might be better than waiting for the bus.
Old September 5th 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/05/2013 07:04 AM, PolicySpy wrote:
<snip drivel>

> If you have a four mile one way commute, the motorized bicycle might be better than waiting for the bus.

and [gasp] "pedaling" the bike might be better than ****ing about with
stupid motors.

--
fact check required
Old September 5th 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

When I said "mopad" I meant "moped".

Then I was suggesting that a motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, shouldn't be classified as a moped.

In other words the motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, should be allowed to use bicycle tires and lights.

Old September 5th 13, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:42:04 AM UTC-5, PolicySpy wrote:
> When I said "mopad" I meant "moped".
>

> Then I was suggesting that a motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, shouldn't be classified as a moped.
>

> In other words the motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, should be allowed to use bicycle tires and lights.

You might be suprised at the heavy loads that can be carried on bicycles and mopeds, especially in Asia, they do it every day. I own a 1976 Sachs Westlake moped. I haven't ridden it in years. Anybody know of a good way I can clean the crud out of the gas tank? www.mopedarmy.com
Old September 5th 13, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

JR wrote:
> On Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:42:04 AM UTC-5, PolicySpy wrote:
>> When I said "mopad" I meant "moped".
>>

>> Then I was suggesting that a motorized bicycle, built on an actual
>> bicycle frame, shouldn't be classified as a moped.
>>

>> In other words the motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle
>> frame, should be allowed to use bicycle tires and lights.

> You might be suprised at the heavy loads that can be carried on
> bicycles and mopeds, especially in Asia, they do it every day. I own
> a 1976 Sachs Westlake moped. I haven't ridden it in years. Anybody
> know of a good way I can clean the crud out of the gas tank?
> www.mopedarmy.com

Lacquer thinner to dissolve any varnish, then either phosphoric acid for
the rust or set up a simple electrolysis system to remove the rust.

--
Steve W.
Old September 5th 13, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 9/5/2013 3:37 PM, JR wrote:
> On Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:42:04 AM UTC-5, PolicySpy wrote:
>> When I said "mopad" I meant "moped".
>>

>> Then I was suggesting that a motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, shouldn't be classified as a moped.
>>

>> In other words the motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, should be allowed to use bicycle tires and lights.

> You might be suprised at the heavy loads that can be carried on bicycles and mopeds, especially in Asia, they do it every day. I own a 1976 Sachs Westlake moped. I haven't ridden it in years. Anybody know of a good way I can clean the crud out of the gas tank? www.mopedarmy.com

I haven't done it but guys suggest various things including
new ethanol blended gasoline, lacquer thinner and more. I
would try new 10% ethanol gasoline first, and carry a spare
fuel filter with tools along, but I'm not an expert. I do
know that vehicles which sat a long while are quite prone to
crud becoming dislodged and blocking the fuel filter once
driven again.

On the downside, small-engine service shops claim new
gasoline, especially enhanced EPA type in larger markets,
eats small engines, in particular 2-cycles. I think you
should find out about that from a Sachs engine expert before
going forward with this.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old September 6th 13, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

A motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, weighs 80 to 100 pounds less than a moped .

A motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, should be allowed to use bicycle tires, bicycle brakes, bicycle suspension, and bicycle lights. This and then be street legal .

Comparatively speaking, a moped is built like a pickup truck while a motorized bicycle is built like an aircraft . It's just a different scale .

But the beach cruiser bicycle frame is strong enough (for the 2 horsepower), springer forks are available, the 26" by 2.125" tires help the suspension, and a front hand brake can be added in addition to the rear coaster brake .

Old September 6th 13, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 9/5/2013 5:21 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
> On 9/5/2013 3:37 PM, JR wrote:
>> On Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:42:04 AM UTC-5, PolicySpy wrote:
>>> When I said "mopad" I meant "moped".
>>>

>>> Then I was suggesting that a motorized bicycle, built on an actual
>>> bicycle frame, shouldn't be classified as a moped.
>>>

>>> In other words the motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle
>>> frame, should be allowed to use bicycle tires and lights.

>> You might be suprised at the heavy loads that can be carried on
>> bicycles and mopeds, especially in Asia, they do it every day. I own a
>> 1976 Sachs Westlake moped. I haven't ridden it in years. Anybody know
>> of a good way I can clean the crud out of the gas tank?
>> www.mopedarmy.com
>>

> I haven't done it but guys suggest various things including new ethanol
> blended gasoline, lacquer thinner and more. I would try new 10% ethanol
> gasoline first, and carry a spare fuel filter with tools along, but I'm
> not an expert. I do know that vehicles which sat a long while are quite
> prone to crud becoming dislodged and blocking the fuel filter once
> driven again.

Or the petcock on a carbureted motorcycle.

> On the downside, small-engine service shops claim new gasoline,
> especially enhanced EPA type in larger markets, eats small engines, in
> particular 2-cycles. I think you should find out about that from a Sachs
> engine expert before going forward with this.

Gasoline with ethanol will most likely degrade any rubber parts in the
fuel system on an older motorcycle not designed to tolerate blended
fuel. Unless the manufacturer approves of E10, I would avoid using it.

E10 may also make carbureted engines run lean, which can damage the
engine by over-heating, particularly air-cooled engines in hot weather.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old September 6th 13, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 9/5/2013 7:54 PM, PolicySpy wrote:

> A motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, weighs 80 to 100 pounds less than a moped .
>
> A motorized bicycle, built on an actual bicycle frame, should be allowed to use bicycle tires, bicycle brakes, bicycle suspension, and bicycle lights. This and then be street legal .
> [...]

Some places it might be legal, others legal if top speed is restricted,
and others not at all. Check before building/buying.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old September 6th 13, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 9/5/2013 9:04 AM, PolicySpy wrote:
> The two-stroke motorized bicycles require oil mixed with gasoline.

Most 2-stroke scooters, motorcycles and snowmobiles built in the last 4
decades or so have a separate oil tank, so no need to make up a can of
"pre-mix".

--
T0m $herm@n