tesla model s engineering efforts reuse in the day and age of "platforms"

Old August 28th 13, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

Default tesla model s engineering efforts reuse in the day and age of "platforms"

On 2013-08-28, > wrote:

> Show my another chassis that can match 4+ tons riding on its roof
> without collapsing. Something that model s had no problem achieving
> which says something about the person who was operating solidworks
> one very milestone day.

You'd be surprised what load a perfect, undamaged pop can will support
under just the right conditions. Then ping a coin off the side wall and
watch it collapse. Now if the second part isn't demonstrated people
would be awed by the strength of the common beverage can.

I've seen cars stacked at salvage yards three and four high without the
bottom one having its roof collapse. But what you're talking about is a
specific government test. There is always designing to the test. As the
government becomes more and more controlling over the products we buy we
are seeing more and more the results of designing to the tests in those
products. Traits which are annoying or make no sense in the real world.
The reason is that government tests are more detacted from reality than
internal manufacturer's tests. Furthermore when an internal test is
spinning a design away from reality the test is usually modified,
dropped, pass/fail changed, etc. Government tests don't allow for that.

It's very easy to fool the masses with little tricks. Those who employ
the political means know this quite well and have been doing it for
thousands upon thousands of years. Musk uses the political means. Tesla
motors is a young company and I would expect the car to be designed to
the government tests. Also I would expect areas to be overdesigned
because they lack the internal knowledge to hit the mark or simply use
'bash until broken' type testing internally which forces over designing
the product.

The fact that Tesla motors had to learn the hard way how to make a
proper BMS for li-ion cells and then blamed their customers for the
batteries' demise tells me what I need to know about them.

Old August 29th 13, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> the government tests. Also I would expect areas to be overdesigned
>
> because they lack the internal knowledge to hit the mark or simply use
>
> 'bash until broken' type testing internally which forces over designing
>
> the product.

how could you possibly overdesign the roof pillars?
though lots of tanks including caddy 300 are a proof that you actually could...

not that even c300 would help much in case you are about to kiss a
butt of a semi trailer without the rear safety bars (hello chineese trucks)

> The fact that Tesla motors had to learn the hard way how to make a
>
> proper BMS for li-ion cells and then blamed their customers for the
>
> batteries' demise tells me what I need to know about them.

Ok, I guess you along with JB managed to put the last nails into
the coffin of that discussion.
Old August 30th 13, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/28/2013 9:48 AM, jim beam wrote:

> why on earth would you want that??? it's completely vague. what you
> really want is manual steering feel, only without the load.

I never missed not having power steering in my Spridget - that car
taught me not to aimlessly wiggle the steering wheel.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 30th 13, 10:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Friday, August 30, 2013 8:59:39 AM UTC+3, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 9:48 AM, jim beam wrote:
>

> > why on earth would you want that??? it's completely vague. what you

> > really want is manual steering feel, only without the load.

> I never missed not having power steering in my Spridget - that car
>
> taught me not to aimlessly wiggle the steering wheel.

It's parking lot diddling around that makes you appreciate the power
steering.