brake upgrades effect on ESC

Old August 28th 13, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default brake upgrades effect on ESC

On 8/27/2013 11:07 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/27/2013 2:58 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:
>> T0m $herman wrote:
>>>

>>> Can vehicles with ASC be remotely hacked to handle like a dirt-tracker?
>>> Would be funny to see luxury SUV's spinning like tops.
>>>

>> pull the fuse(s) for the appropriate module(s)...unless of course they
>> also feed the ECM....
>>
>> GW

> I was thinking along the lines of intentional destabilization, not just
> turning off the system. Luxury SUV's bring out the misanthrope in me.

I don't know if it's true anymore, but years ago some vehicles used the
ABS unit to also provide brake proportioning, so doing that might make
the brakes dangerously improperly biased...

nate
Old August 28th 13, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/28/2013 07:40 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 8/27/2013 11:07 PM, T0m $herman wrote:

>>> pull the fuse(s) for the appropriate module(s)...unless of course they
>>> also feed the ECM....
>>>
>>> GW

>> I was thinking along the lines of intentional destabilization, not just
>> turning off the system. Luxury SUV's bring out the misanthrope in me.
>>

> I don't know if it's true anymore, but years ago some vehicles used the
> ABS unit to also provide brake proportioning, so doing that might make
> the brakes dangerously improperly biased...
>
> nate

do you always have to repeat what i say? or should i find your idiot
imitation in some way flattering?

--
fact check required
Old August 28th 13, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 8/28/2013 11:00 AM, jim beam wrote:
> On 08/28/2013 07:40 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> I was thinking along the lines of intentional destabilization, not just
>>> turning off the system. Luxury SUV's bring out the misanthrope in me.
>>>

>> I don't know if it's true anymore, but years ago some vehicles used the
>> ABS unit to also provide brake proportioning, so doing that might make
>> the brakes dangerously improperly biased...
>>
>> nate

> do you always have to repeat what i say? or should i find your idiot
> imitation in some way flattering?

I know you'll be shocked by this, but I don't even read all your posts,
so I have no idea to what you're referring. I can only take so much
stupid in one day.

nate

Old August 28th 13, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/28/2013 08:06 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 11:00 AM, jim beam wrote:

>>> I don't know if it's true anymore, but years ago some vehicles used the
>>> ABS unit to also provide brake proportioning, so doing that might make
>>> the brakes dangerously improperly biased...
>>>
>>> nate

>> do you always have to repeat what i say? or should i find your idiot
>> imitation in some way flattering?
>>

> I know you'll be shocked by this, but I don't even read all your posts,
> so I have no idea to what you're referring. I can only take so much
> stupid in one day.

no, you can only /be/ so much stoooopid in one day.

--
fact check required
Old August 28th 13, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Geoff Welsh

jim beam wrote:
> On 08/27/2013 12:58 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:
>> T0m $herman wrote:
>>>
>>> Can vehicles with ASC be remotely hacked to handle like a dirt-tracker?
>>> Would be funny to see luxury SUV's spinning like tops.
>>>

>> pull the fuse(s) for the appropriate module(s)...unless of course they
>> also feed the ECM....
>>
>> GW

> yeah, but these days, they don't have front/rear pressure proportioning
> valves and rely on the electronics. if you pull the fuse, you also pull
> pressure distribution management - and you don't want a situation where
> the rears are getting the same braking as the fronts.

wasn't spinning around uncontrollably the intended result? He said
"spinning like tops" on dirt.

GW
Old August 29th 13, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/28/2013 12:59 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:
> jim beam wrote:

>>> pull the fuse(s) for the appropriate module(s)...unless of course they
>>> also feed the ECM....
>>>
>>> GW

>> yeah, but these days, they don't have front/rear pressure proportioning
>> valves and rely on the electronics. if you pull the fuse, you also pull
>> pressure distribution management - and you don't want a situation where
>> the rears are getting the same braking as the fronts.

> wasn't spinning around uncontrollably the intended result? He said
> "spinning like tops" on dirt.
>
> GW

you're technically right, but that's not what i'd want.

--
fact check required
Old August 30th 13, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/28/2013 9:21 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 08/28/2013 12:59 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> yeah, but these days, they don't have front/rear pressure proportioning
>>> valves and rely on the electronics. if you pull the fuse, you also pull
>>> pressure distribution management - and you don't want a situation where
>>> the rears are getting the same braking as the fronts.

>> wasn't spinning around uncontrollably the intended result? He said
>> "spinning like tops" on dirt.
>>
>> GW

> you're technically right, but that's not what i'd want.

I would. I also want a rear facing 40mm Bofors to deal with tailgating
SUVs.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 30th 13, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/29/2013 10:56 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 9:21 PM, jim beam wrote:

>>> wasn't spinning around uncontrollably the intended result? He said
>>> "spinning like tops" on dirt.
>>>
>>> GW

>> you're technically right, but that's not what i'd want.
>>

> I would. I also want a rear facing 40mm Bofors to deal with tailgating
> SUVs.

that's because your ride a trike and you really are in the way.

--
fact check required