Make it harder to press gas pedal

Old August 16th 13, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Make it harder to press gas pedal

To solve the problem that a beginner may accidentally press the gas pedal when he means to step on the brake, I think one easy way is to replace the spring holding the gas pedal with one with a higher force constant. Once he's driven the car for some months, change it back. This won't prevent the problem. But it could save a life, or change a serious injury to just a bump on the head. Any comments?
Old August 17th 13, 09:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:58:33 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
> wrote:

>On Friday, August 16, 2013 2:14:26 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:12:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>>

>> >To solve the problem that a beginner may accidentally press the gas pedal when he means to step on the brake, I think one easy way is to replace the spring holding the gas pedal with one with a higher force constant. Once he's driven the car for some months, change it back. This won't prevent the problem. But it could save a life, or change a serious injury to just a bump on the head. Any comments?

>> If it's an automatic just teach him to brake with his left foot.
>>
>> Faster reaction time and he won't press teh wrong pedal by mistake.

>hmm.. left side brake, right side gas. Teach them their left from their right and you won't have any problems.
>
>Two foot driving also isn't a good idea. Ever hear of riding the brakes? two foot drivers love doing this.

Two foot driving is an excellent idea. Just because 2% of some group
do something badly doesn't mean no one should do it. A lot of people
who drive manual transmissions ride the clutch - would you advise that
NO ONE every buy a manual transmission car?
Old August 17th 13, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:08:05 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:58:33 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
>
> > wrote:

> >> If it's an automatic just teach him to brake with his left foot.

> >> Faster reaction time and he won't press teh wrong pedal by mistake.

> >hmm.. left side brake, right side gas. Teach them their left from their right and you won't have any problems.

> >Two foot driving also isn't a good idea. Ever hear of riding the brakes? two foot drivers love doing this.

> Two foot driving is an excellent idea. Just because 2% of some group
>
> do something badly doesn't mean no one should do it. A lot of people
>
> who drive manual transmissions ride the clutch - would you advise that
>
> NO ONE every buy a manual transmission car?

I could care less about someone riding the clutch, if they want to burn up their clutch more power to them, but when your left foot keeps touching the brake pedal your brake lights keep flickering which is very annoying to the person behind that two foot driver. Some two foot drivers keep their left foot on the brake pedal so your brake lights are constantly on.

Plus I drive both manual & automatic transmission cars. it would be a pita to have to adjust using my left foot to use the brake, and then have to use it on the clutch. Keep it simple and use your right foot for the gas & brake and only use the left foot for the clutch pedal.
Old August 17th 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 06:39:38 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
> wrote:

>I could care less about someone riding the clutch, if they want to burn up their clutch more power to them, but when your left foot keeps touching the brake pedal your brake lights keep flickering which is very annoying to the person behind that two foot driver. Some two foot drivers keep their left foot on the brake pedal so your brake lights are constantly on.
>
>Plus I drive both manual & automatic transmission cars. it would be a pita to have to adjust using my left foot to use the brake, and then have to use it on the clutch. Keep it simple and use your right foot for the gas & brake and only use the left foot for the clutch pedal.

Riding the clutch only works the throwout bearing. I could always
hear that if I rested my foot too heavily on the clutch.
I never left foot braked unless I was dealing with an engine that was
dying at low RPM.
But if anybody wants to do that, fine with me.
I get away from cars where the brake lights are flickering or on all
the time.
Can't say I see many, and can't even remember the last one I saw.
Which brings to mind, why not have a dash indicator tied to the brake
lights? Might solve the "riding the brake" problem.
Probably not enough "brake riders" to justify the cost.

Old August 18th 13, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/17/2013 8:39 AM, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:08:05 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:58:33 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
>>
>> > wrote:

>>> hmm.. left side brake, right side gas. Teach them their left from their right and you won't have any problems.

>>> Two foot driving also isn't a good idea. Ever hear of riding the brakes? two foot drivers love doing this.

>> Two foot driving is an excellent idea. Just because 2% of some group
>>
>> do something badly doesn't mean no one should do it. A lot of people
>>
>> who drive manual transmissions ride the clutch - would you advise that
>>
>> NO ONE every buy a manual transmission car?

> I could care less about someone riding the clutch, if they want to burn up their clutch more power to them, but when your left foot keeps touching the brake pedal your brake lights keep flickering which is very annoying to the person behind that two foot driver. Some two foot drivers keep their left foot on the brake pedal so your brake lights are constantly on.

Well, I slip the clutch while riding the brake all the time in traffic -
but on two wheels, not four.

Overheating is not a problem with a wet clutch, but even dry clutches
can be fine, e.g. the the ten of thousands of R-series Beemer cop bikes
in use around the world.

> Plus I drive both manual & automatic transmission cars. it would be a pita to have to adjust using my left foot to use the brake, and then have to use it on the clutch. Keep it simple and use your right foot for the gas & brake and only use the left foot for the clutch pedal.

Too bad more cars [1] do not have sequential transmissions so one could
dispense with the clutch while shifting.

[1] All the ones I can think of are dedicated race cars.
--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 18th 13, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 06:39:38 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:08:05 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:58:33 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >hmm.. left side brake, right side gas. Teach them their left from their right and you won't have any problems.

>> >Two foot driving also isn't a good idea. Ever hear of riding the brakes? two foot drivers love doing this.

>> Two foot driving is an excellent idea. Just because 2% of some group
>>
>> do something badly doesn't mean no one should do it. A lot of people
>>
>> who drive manual transmissions ride the clutch - would you advise that
>>
>> NO ONE every buy a manual transmission car?

>I could care less about someone riding the clutch, if they want to burn up their clutch more power to them, but when your left foot keeps touching the brake pedal your brake lights keep flickering which is very annoying to the person behind that two foot driver. Some two foot drivers keep their left foot on the brake pedal so your brake lights are constantly on.
>
>Plus I drive both manual & automatic transmission cars. it would be a pita to have to adjust using my left foot to use the brake, and then have to use it on the clutch. Keep it simple and use your right foot for the gas & brake and only use the left foot for the clutch pedal.

I drive auto and manual cars and motorcycles and used to fly planes.
ALL of them use the feet differently. That said, if you are not
capable of doing different things with your feet, then by all means
just keep doing the one single thing you have managed to learn how to
do. I would never encourage anyone to attempt to learn a skill if
they are not capable of it.
Old August 18th 13, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:55:13 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 06:39:38 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:08:05 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

> >> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:58:33 -0700 (PDT), m6onz5a

> >> Two foot driving is an excellent idea. Just because 2% of some group

> >> do something badly doesn't mean no one should do it. A lot of people

> >> who drive manual transmissions ride the clutch - would you advise that

> >> NO ONE every buy a manual transmission car?

> >I could care less about someone riding the clutch, if they want to burn up their clutch more power to them, but when your left foot keeps touching the brake pedal your brake lights keep flickering which is very annoying to the person behind that two foot driver. Some two foot drivers keep their left foot on the brake pedal so your brake lights are constantly on.

> >Plus I drive both manual & automatic transmission cars. it would be a pita to have to adjust using my left foot to use the brake, and then have to use it on the clutch. Keep it simple and use your right foot for the gas & brake and only use the left foot for the clutch pedal.

> I drive auto and manual cars and motorcycles and used to fly planes.
>
> ALL of them use the feet differently. That said, if you are not
>
> capable of doing different things with your feet, then by all means
>
> just keep doing the one single thing you have managed to learn how to
>
> do. I would never encourage anyone to attempt to learn a skill if
>
> they are not capable of it.

I ride motorcycles as well, along with mopeds & scooters which all have different controls. I even had an antique bike that had the brake & gear shifter on the opposite sides. So, I do know how to adjust for different vehicles.

I'm a firm believer that two foot driving is still not as safe (for automatic transmissions). That is how I was taught and I'm sticking to it..

You must be a proud two foot driver. Ride on! (the brakes that is)
Old August 18th 13, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/18/2013 5:09 AM, m6onz5a wrote:
> I ride motorcycles as well, along with mopeds & scooters which all have different controls. I even had an antique bike that had the brake & gear shifter on the opposite sides. So, I do know how to adjust for different vehicles.

Hardly needs to be antique, as most European motorcycles as well as H-D
had left-foot brakes and right-foot shifters up through 1974.

--
T0m $herm@n