Mid section of the exhaust is toast, cat converter a suspect? or justthe age...

Old August 22nd 13, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default Mid section of the exhaust is toast, cat converter a suspect?or just the age...

On 08/21/2013 06:20 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:38:37 -0700, jim beam > wrote:
>

>> just face it - if you're driving a car that has a 1-2 split in the
>> exhaust, you're destined to pay through the nose for it for the rest of
>> its life - the vehicle is the product of marketing, not engineering, and
>> it's designed to suck the contents of your wallet accordingly.

> Only if you want to. Just about any muffler shop can cheaply make up
> a good exhaust with common parts - if the cat isn't somehow tied to
> engine controls, requiring dealer parts, and you need a cat.
> Last year when my '93 Grand Am got loud I had everything cat-back torn
> out - dual mufflers, and maybe "resonators" - and a single muffler put
> in. Shop had to do some welding.
> No dummy exhaust tip for the missing muffler. Like I care.
> Nice and quiet now. $198. Seemed fair.

that's what i'd do to a grand am. maybe not even that much. but for an
audi pose-mobile, you got to stick with the program - if you want any
chance of being able to sell it.

--
fact check required
Old August 29th 13, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:56:55 AM UTC+3, jim beam wrote:
> On 08/21/2013 06:20 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 17:38:37 -0700, jim beam > wrote:

> >> just face it - if you're driving a car that has a 1-2 split in the

> >> exhaust, you're destined to pay through the nose for it for the rest of

> >> its life - the vehicle is the product of marketing, not engineering, and

> >> it's designed to suck the contents of your wallet accordingly.

> > Only if you want to. Just about any muffler shop can cheaply make up

> > a good exhaust with common parts - if the cat isn't somehow tied to

> > engine controls, requiring dealer parts, and you need a cat.

> > Last year when my '93 Grand Am got loud I had everything cat-back torn

> > out - dual mufflers, and maybe "resonators" - and a single muffler put

> > in. Shop had to do some welding.

> > No dummy exhaust tip for the missing muffler. Like I care.

> > Nice and quiet now. $198. Seemed fair.

> that's what i'd do to a grand am. maybe not even that much. but for an
>
> audi pose-mobile, you got to stick with the program - if you want any
>
> chance of being able to sell it.

Like **** I'd care. Maybe it was a bit of a chick magnet in the first
decade of its life (it's a wagon, so not very likely)
but being married I could not care less if dual exhaust tips are gone etc
to have this fixed on a budget.

Even given my very limited (at best) success with women
I find it unsportsmanlike to use the ride as a bait.
Even if was working (I don't think it is for a $10k car
and like hell I'd dump more money into my transportation. Ain't happening.).

So I have to decide really if I'd keep it for a decade.
If not maybe I'd resort to a muffler shop castration suggested.
Otherwise the dealer is likely to see those $450.

tnx
Old September 3rd 13, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:56:10 AM UTC+3, jim beam wrote:
> On 08/21/2013 07:11 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>
> > On 8/21/2013 7:38 PM, jim beam wrote:

> >> just face it - if you're driving a car that has a 1-2 split in the

> >> exhaust, you're destined to pay through the nose for it for the rest of

> >> its life - the vehicle is the product of marketing, not engineering, and

> >> it's designed to suck the contents of your wallet accordingly.

> > But nothing says "I'm retarded" quite like dual stacks on a car.

> > <http://spydersden.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/rednecktruck-500x357.jpg?w=640>

> ye gods. but at least it's a v-motor - hopefully there's one stack
>
> connected to each bank.

You might laugh but I saw a hogsley dudeson (or a jap wannabe) with the
dualstacks shortly after I saw the post with that muscle abomination.
I only wonder if it was "customized" that way locally or there was some
retard in the states who did it and then promptly got rid
of it after receiving this precise reaction.

From whiskey to burnt toast... Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_3_] Technology 11 August 30th 10 02:58 AM
toast Jack[_4_] Ford Explorer 0 June 22nd 08 06:06 AM
Audi 100 Transmission is toast Stephen Clark Audi 4 May 23rd 08 06:12 PM
98 Odyssey exhaust rattle -- catalytic converter? Doug B Honda 3 September 12th 06 10:22 PM