Mid section of the exhaust is toast, cat converter a suspect? or justthe age...

Old August 17th 13, 10:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

Default Mid section of the exhaust is toast, cat converter a suspect?or just the age...

On 8/12/2013 10:53 AM, jim beam wrote:
> On 08/12/2013 02:35 AM, wrote:
>> the middle bottle ("resonator") in my A4 B6
>> is toast beyond repair and there does not seem to be
>> an aftermarket can available.
>>
>> So before I bring $450 US to the local audi dealer
>> I should ask this: is there a catalytic converter
>> on the way out or anything else?
>>
>> I'd rather understand why the rear exhaust cans are in good conditions
>> while the middle has rotted off the support bracket on a not
>> quite 11 years old car.
>>
>> Would like some insurance to avoid ordering a $450 canister twice.
>>
>> The part has a single input from the (cat? engine ports?)
>> and splits it into two exhaust cans sitting in the rear of the car.
>>
>> tnx
>>

> it rusted out because of the materials it's made from and your local
> road salt conditions. both of which have been anticipated by audi, so
> that allows you to answer one of your questions - yes it will rot out
> again if you replace with oem - and in the same kind of time scale.
>
> the next question is, do you want to keep this car for another 10 years?
> unlikely imo. in which case, shop around online for a better price,
> and amortize it at <$45 per year and recover the asset value from the
> next guy.
>
> you can of course have a part made by a local muffler shop. but you'll
> likely still have to pay >$100. and it won't last anywhere near as
> long. and it'll decrease your resale value.
>
> pretty much a wash if you ask me. the clincher imo is whether you want
> the rest of the exhaust system to be maintainable, or whether you want
> the muffler shop to screw stuff up by making a cheap replacement?
> because that's what you're really facing with alternatives.

The problem can be fixed for $1.00:
<http://www.legendaryusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BL0002&utm_source=g oogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=BL0002&utm_campaign= BROI&click=25391%20&gdftrk=gdfV25409_a_7c1799_a_7c 6830_a_7cBL0002>.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 17th 13, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 8/17/2013 4:53 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/13/2013 11:00 AM, JR wrote:
>> Last year in July, I went to Delta Muffler and I got a new
>> muffler, resonator and tail pipe on my 1983 Dodge van,
>> $155.15. The old original stuff was completely rusted out.
>> My old van sounded better with the old stuff on it.

> I used to drive an early 1970's Chevy van with a 350 V-8 and
> missing exhaust from the headers on back. At night, full
> throttle to get a 3-2 downshift, then lifting rapidly off
> would produce a huge bang and flash, which is entertaining
> when you are high school age.

This greybeard enjoys that too.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old August 17th 13, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:48:28 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/17/2013 4:53 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
>
> > On 8/13/2013 11:00 AM, JR wrote:

> >> Last year in July, I went to Delta Muffler and I got a new

> >> muffler, resonator and tail pipe on my 1983 Dodge van,

> >> $155.15. The old original stuff was completely rusted out.

> >> My old van sounded better with the old stuff on it.

> > I used to drive an early 1970's Chevy van with a 350 V-8 and

> > missing exhaust from the headers on back. At night, full

> > throttle to get a 3-2 downshift, then lifting rapidly off

> > would produce a huge bang and flash, which is entertaining

> > when you are high school age.

> This greybeard enjoys that too.
>

> --
>
> Andrew Muzi
>
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Without a muffler, rev up the engine and cut the ignition off and on. I have always liked that too.
Old August 17th 13, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 8/17/2013 3:05 PM, JR wrote:
> On Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:48:28 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

>>> I used to drive an early 1970's Chevy van with a 350 V-8 and

>>> missing exhaust from the headers on back. At night, full

>>> throttle to get a 3-2 downshift, then lifting rapidly off

>>> would produce a huge bang and flash, which is entertaining

>>> when you are high school age.

>> This greybeard enjoys that too.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Andrew Muzi
>>
>> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>>
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Without a muffler, rev up the engine and cut the ignition off and on. I have always liked that too.

Just don't do it if you still have a muffler!

nate
Old August 19th 13, 09:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Caution. Low flying golf balls.

On Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:57:08 PM UTC+3, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 8/12/2013 10:53 AM, jim beam wrote:
>
> > On 08/12/2013 02:35 AM, wrote:

> >> the middle bottle ("resonator") in my A4 B6

> >> is toast beyond repair and there does not seem to be

> >> an aftermarket can available.

> >> So before I bring $450 US to the local audi dealer

> >> I should ask this: is there a catalytic converter

> >> on the way out or anything else?

> >> I'd rather understand why the rear exhaust cans are in good conditions

> >> while the middle has rotted off the support bracket on a not

> >> quite 11 years old car.

> >> Would like some insurance to avoid ordering a $450 canister twice.

> >> The part has a single input from the (cat? engine ports?)

> >> and splits it into two exhaust cans sitting in the rear of the car.

> >> tnx

> > it rusted out because of the materials it's made from and your local

> > road salt conditions. both of which have been anticipated by audi, so

> > that allows you to answer one of your questions - yes it will rot out

> > again if you replace with oem - and in the same kind of time scale.

> > the next question is, do you want to keep this car for another 10 years?

> > unlikely imo. in which case, shop around online for a better price,

> > and amortize it at <$45 per year and recover the asset value from the

> > next guy.

> > you can of course have a part made by a local muffler shop. but you'll

> > likely still have to pay >$100. and it won't last anywhere near as

> > long. and it'll decrease your resale value.

> > pretty much a wash if you ask me. the clincher imo is whether you want

> > the rest of the exhaust system to be maintainable, or whether you want

> > the muffler shop to screw stuff up by making a cheap replacement?

> > because that's what you're really facing with alternatives.

> The problem can be fixed for $1.00:
>
> <http://www.legendaryusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BL0002&utm_source=g oogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=BL0002&utm_campaign= BROI&click=25391%20&gdftrk=gdfV25409_a_7c1799_a_7c 6830_a_7cBL0002>.

I hate the ****ers with fart cans. I live in a housing development
that is far from the "through" streets and yet I hear the owners
of fart cans reving their engine well past the 5k at night.
The cops around here could not care less about the schmucks
tinkering with their exhaust systems.

I think I'll get a scoped 9.3x73R implement to have a good night pasttime
when I retire. That or a good golf set coupled with a rooftop access.
The neighbours might be happier unless I get the 9.3 muffled
(would get you in trouble with ATF in the states I understand,
here it's probably simply unobtanium)

Is there a pneumatic golf ball cannon or smth to avoid having odds with
leo of any kind?
Old August 19th 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, August 19, 2013 3:05:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:57:08 PM UTC+3, T0m $herman wrote:

> > > it rusted out because of the materials it's made from and your local

> > > road salt conditions. both of which have been anticipated by audi, so

> > > that allows you to answer one of your questions - yes it will rot out

> > > again if you replace with oem - and in the same kind of time scale.

> > > the next question is, do you want to keep this car for another 10 years?

> > > unlikely imo. in which case, shop around online for a better price,

> > > and amortize it at <$45 per year and recover the asset value from the

> > > next guy.

> > > you can of course have a part made by a local muffler shop. but you'll

> > > likely still have to pay >$100. and it won't last anywhere near as

> > > long. and it'll decrease your resale value.

> > > pretty much a wash if you ask me. the clincher imo is whether you want

> > > the rest of the exhaust system to be maintainable, or whether you want

> > > the muffler shop to screw stuff up by making a cheap replacement?

> > > because that's what you're really facing with alternatives.

> > The problem can be fixed for $1.00:

> > <http://www.legendaryusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BL0002&utm_source=g oogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=BL0002&utm_campaign= BROI&click=25391%20&gdftrk=gdfV25409_a_7c1799_a_7c 6830_a_7cBL0002>.

> I hate the ****ers with fart cans. I live in a housing development
>
> that is far from the "through" streets and yet I hear the owners
>
> of fart cans reving their engine well past the 5k at night.
>
> The cops around here could not care less about the schmucks
>
> tinkering with their exhaust systems.
>

> I think I'll get a scoped 9.3x73R implement to have a good night pasttime
>
> when I retire. That or a good golf set coupled with a rooftop access.
>
> The neighbours might be happier unless I get the 9.3 muffled
>
> (would get you in trouble with ATF in the states I understand,
>
> here it's probably simply unobtanium)
>

> Is there a pneumatic golf ball cannon or smth to avoid having odds with
>
> leo of any kind?

I once saw an elderly guy in Florida who had a lamp cord taped to one of his golf clubs. He said that was his electric golf club.
Old August 20th 13, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

wrote:

>>> it rusted out because of the materials it's made from and your local

>>> road salt conditions. both of which have been anticipated by audi, so

>>> that allows you to answer one of your questions - yes it will rot out

>>> again if you replace with oem - and in the same kind of time scale.

>>> the next question is, do you want to keep this car for another 10 years?

>>> unlikely imo. in which case, shop around online for a better price,

>>> and amortize it at <$45 per year and recover the asset value from the

>>> next guy.

>>> you can of course have a part made by a local muffler shop. but you'll

>>> likely still have to pay >$100. and it won't last anywhere near as

>>> long. and it'll decrease your resale value.

>>> pretty much a wash if you ask me. the clincher imo is whether you want

>>> the rest of the exhaust system to be maintainable, or whether you want

>>> the muffler shop to screw stuff up by making a cheap replacement?

>>> because that's what you're really facing with alternatives.

>> The problem can be fixed for $1.00:
>>
>> <http://www.legendaryusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BL0002&utm_source=g oogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_term=BL0002&utm_campaign= BROI&click=25391%20&gdftrk=gdfV25409_a_7c1799_a_7c 6830_a_7cBL0002>.
>>

> I hate the ****ers with fart cans. I live in a housing development
> that is far from the "through" streets and yet I hear the owners
> of fart cans reving their engine well past the 5k at night.
> The cops around here could not care less about the schmucks
> tinkering with their exhaust systems.

Can you shoot all the H-D bikes with open pipes? I really hate that noise.

N.B. I own four motorcycles (none a H-D or cruiser, thank Dog), and all
have stock pipes so I *do not* annoy the neighbors.

> I think I'll get a scoped 9.3x73R implement to have a good night pasttime
> when I retire. That or a good golf set coupled with a rooftop access.
> The neighbours might be happier unless I get the 9.3 muffled
> (would get you in trouble with ATF in the states I understand,
> here it's probably simply unobtanium)

I had a very loud 1994 Honda Civic Si for a couple of days (muffler blew
out on a Saturday afternoon when I was a couple of hundred miles away
from home, so it had to wait until Monday to get fixed). The racket
really bothered me, and I was wearing foam earplugs while driving.

> Is there a pneumatic golf ball cannon or smth to avoid having odds with
> leo of any kind?

I did get hit in the windshield by a bouncing golf ball on the Ike a few
years back. Not sure if it came out of a vehicle, or was thrown by a
pedestrian.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 20th 13, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:45:01 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 8/17/2013 3:05 PM, JR wrote:

> >> This greybeard enjoys that too.

> >> --

> >> Andrew Muzi

> >> <www.yellowjersey.org/>

> >> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> > Without a muffler, rev up the engine and cut the ignition off and on. I have always liked that too.

> Just don't do it if you still have a muffler!
>

> nate

I loved doing that in a step van I use to drive. Mash the gas for a couple of seconds then just release and POW!! I eventually blew a hole in the muffler.
Old August 21st 13, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/20/2013 3:08 PM, m6onz5a wrote:
> On Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:45:01 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> Without a muffler, rev up the engine and cut the ignition off and on. I have always liked that too.

>> Just don't do it if you still have a muffler!
>>

>> nate

> I loved doing that in a step van I use to drive. Mash the gas for a couple of seconds then just release and POW!! I eventually blew a hole in the muffler.

I was trying to get my TW200 to do this using the kill switch, but no
luck - must be the lean emissions tuning. Will try again using the
choke too.

--
T0m $herm@n

From whiskey to burnt toast... Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_3_] Technology 11 August 30th 10 02:58 AM
toast Jack[_4_] Ford Explorer 0 June 22nd 08 06:06 AM
Audi 100 Transmission is toast Stephen Clark Audi 4 May 23rd 08 06:12 PM
98 Odyssey exhaust rattle -- catalytic converter? Doug B Honda 3 September 12th 06 10:22 PM