2000 Neon Check Engine Light--codes

Old April 14th 04, 08:50 PM
T. McRae

Default 2000 Neon Check Engine Light--codes

I don't know how you guys know all of this stuff but you guys are
amazing. My wife was freaking out laughing when she saw the numbers.
Anyway the codes she read to me were P1684 and P071. Thanks again.
Old April 14th 04, 10:10 PM
WHL

I can't seem to make it work on either my 98 Dakota or my daughter's 2000
Dodge Neon. I can get the diagnostics test to run but that's it.

on-off-on-off-on-off-on Is that correct? It worked every time on her 96
Neon but I can't make it work for anything on this one.

om...

Old April 14th 04, 10:10 PM
WHL

I can't seem to make it work on either my 98 Dakota or my daughter's 2000
Dodge Neon. I can get the diagnostics test to run but that's it.

on-off-on-off-on-off-on Is that correct? It worked every time on her 96
Neon but I can't make it work for anything on this one.

om...

Old April 14th 04, 10:28 PM
Steve W.

one too many cycles. on - off - on - off - on
--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY

Old April 14th 04, 10:28 PM
Steve W.

Old April 15th 04, 12:23 AM
WHL

it doesn't work on my 98 Dakota. I haven't retried the Neon yet.

Old April 15th 04, 12:23 AM
WHL

Old April 15th 04, 02:13 AM
Bill 2

You have to be quite quick with it, on off on off on. Click between off
(where the steering wheel and gearshift unlock) and on (not start).
Sometimes it takes a couple goes at it. If it doesn't work give it a couple
seconds before trying again. I'm going to borrow a digicam that records
videos and record it to show people.

Old April 15th 04, 02:13 AM
Bill 2

Old April 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Bill 2

"T. McRae" > wrote in message
om...
> I don't know how you guys know all of this stuff but you guys are
> amazing. My wife was freaking out laughing when she saw the numbers.
> Anyway the codes she read to me were P1684 and P071. Thanks again.

According to the 2000 Neon service manual (codes also listed online, search
google)

P1684- "The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts." No
real significance. Dealer could have disconnected the battery when there
were in there, sometimes it goes on by itself. Don't worry about it.

P071 - My manual doesn't show this code as existing. Did you get it right?
Here's some possible similar codes that will light up the check engine
light:

P0117: ECT Sensor voltage to low (engine coolant tempereature sensor input
below minimum accepted value.
P0171: Lean air / fuel mxture has been indicated by an abnormally rich
correction factor.

P0711 lists as "Trans Temp sensor voltage too low". but shouldn't illuminate
the MIL lamp. I don't know if this even applies given the 3 speed in the
Neon.

I remember thinking it was neat decrypting a blinking light to tell me what
ailed my '89 Reliant, and '96 Neon, but I was blown away when it listed the
codes on the odo in the '00. I was expecting it to blink the light, not just
tell me the code. The first time I was successful I wasn't able to write
down the codes, I was laughing too hard.