Hello 164

Old June 25th 12, 05:38 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

Default Hello 164

Just a quick hello to the 164 I saw in Kirkcaldy on Sunday. Didn't get a
chance to stare properly as you went the other way at the roundabout!

Regards,
159 estate, grey!

Old June 28th 12, 01:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:38:25 +0100, "GT" > wrote:

>Just a quick hello to the 164 I saw in Kirkcaldy on Sunday. Didn't get a
>chance to stare properly as you went the other way at the roundabout!
>
>Regards,
>159 estate, grey!

Not me (still a Beemer bloke) but I'll be heading over to the East
Neuk for a holiday. Hmmm. looks like Siberia might have been a better
choice though..

It seems a bit quiet round here these days. I'm tempted to wonder if
the tradition among the non-full-blooded Alfisi of only ever buying
one Alfa has been and gone with the peak 156 days?

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old June 28th 12, 02:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Zathras spoke:
> It seems a bit quiet round here these days. I'm tempted to wonder if
> the tradition among the non-full-blooded Alfisi of only ever buying
> one Alfa has been and gone with the peak 156 days?

Its a bit quite in a lot of Usenet these days - modern youf doesn't
have the attention span to hold a thread together for more than an
hour or so - especially if there are no pretty pictures to look at.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old June 28th 12, 07:12 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
> Zathras > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:38:25 +0100, "GT" > wrote:
>>
>> >Just a quick hello to the 164 I saw in Kirkcaldy on Sunday. Didn't get a
>> >chance to stare properly as you went the other way at the roundabout!
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >159 estate, grey!
>> >

>> Not me (still a Beemer bloke) but I'll be heading over to the East
>> Neuk for a holiday. Hmmm. looks like Siberia might have been a better
>> choice though..
>>
>> It seems a bit quiet round here these days. I'm tempted to wonder if
>> the tradition among the non-full-blooded Alfisi of only ever buying
>> one Alfa has been and gone with the peak 156 days?

> I'm seeing loads of Giuliettas and MiTos around these days - but I think
> that's just because they're competitively priced, stylish and (shock!)
> just as reliable as anything else.
>
> But they're not being bought by 'enthusiasts', who are probably hanging
> onto older cars, or have moved on as there's no longer a decent large
> saloon / estate option.
>
> I haven't driven an Alfa more than a couple of miles in the last 6
> months... but I do plan to drag my 75 out of the lockup, get it serviced
> and tested, then take it to Austria in October.

Well I'm relatively happy with my 159 estate. Not sure about this diesel
thing tho - I could forgive it if it gave great consumption, but 42mpg isn't
'great'! Taking it to Scotland to France this year, then Sheffield and back
on my return - lets see if we gel!

Old June 28th 12, 09:27 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> GT > wrote:
>
>> Well I'm relatively happy with my 159 estate. Not sure about this diesel
>> thing tho - I could forgive it if it gave great consumption, but 42mpg
>> isn't
>> 'great'! Taking it to Scotland to France this year, then Sheffield and
>> back
>> on my return - lets see if we gel!

> Sadly, the 159 is no more, so at the moment, the reps. don't have a
> large Alfa to choose.
>
> I'm not sure we'll go from a 156 to 159, though, when the time comes -
> we're more likely to go with the 1750TBi Giulietta.
>
> 42mpg is pretty poor, as my Golf 1.4TSI-160 with DSG box turns in 40mpg
> without driving it particularly carefully.

Hmm - I can get 48+ if I'm careful. Recorded 56 on a 60mph ish eco run, but
everyday use is poor. Got 35-37 in the 2.0 JTS petrol 156 when kicking about
and nearly 50 on a run!

The Guillia is on its way... next summer...

Old June 28th 12, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 21:27:44 +0100, "GT" > wrote:

>Hmm - I can get 48+ if I'm careful. Recorded 56 on a 60mph ish eco run, but
>everyday use is poor.

Interesting, that's almost exactly what I saw from my 156 2.4JTD.

The 3 litre Beemer is similar except that I found eco runs in the Alfa
quite difficult. You really did have to drive gingerly to get good
economy. The Beemer is much easier in that respect. It feels as if it
has less aerodynamic drag although the 156 looked a lot less like a
bashed brick!

Old June 29th 12, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"GT" wrote in message
b.com...

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> GT > wrote:
>
>> Well I'm relatively happy with my 159 estate. Not sure about this diesel
>> thing tho - I could forgive it if it gave great consumption, but 42mpg
>> isn't
>> 'great'! Taking it to Scotland to France this year, then Sheffield and
>> back
>> on my return - lets see if we gel!

Well, I'm keeping my 156 jtdm, it's done 100,000 miles and the engine is
just beginning to
loosen up. I'm getting about 47 mpg and 44 with a lot of AC use. I find that
quite acceptable
seeing as I hoof it a bit and the other family car, a Picasso diesel, only
does about 49.

The extra consumption is well worth the sheer pleasure of driving something
that goes well and
handles brilliantly. Oh, and it doesn't use oil either although the
suspension has been a tad unreliable.
Maybe that's the potholes as the Picasso broke a spring recently too.

TonyB

Old July 1st 12, 06:37 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

TonyB spoke:
> Well, I'm keeping my 156 jtdm, it's done 100,000 miles and the engine is
> just beginning to
> loosen up. I'm getting about 47 mpg and 44 with a lot of AC use. I find that
> quite acceptable
> seeing as I hoof it a bit and the other family car, a Picasso diesel, only
> does about 49.

This is really annoying!

I've had my 156 1.9jtd for 2 years, 36k on it when I bought it, now 84k, and in
all that time it has done between 40 - 45mpg (9 or 10 miles per litre!)

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

164 V6 ignition 0_Qed Alfa Romeo 0 March 30th 05 12:59 AM
No start 164 - Help! Stevie Alfa Romeo 2 November 5th 04 07:27 PM
Bumpers AR 164 '92 Yoeri Gemeen Alfa Romeo 0 September 2nd 04 10:25 AM
FS Alfa 164 Colonel Tupperware Alfa Romeo 3 June 24th 04 02:07 PM
Turbo on 164 if possible Yoeri Gemeen Alfa Romeo 5 May 6th 04 08:17 PM