Audi tries hand at luxury PHEVs with A6 L e-tron concept

Old April 24th 12, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
MummyChunk

Default Audi tries hand at luxury PHEVs with A6 L e-tron concept

From AB

Audi A6 L e-tron concept

Audi is presenting its first luxury-class e-tron concept car – a
technology study known as the Audi A6 L e-tron concept at Auto China
2012 in Beijing. The plug-in hybrid has a powerful drive system that
enables a driving range of 80 km (49.71 miles) on pure electric power,
and it was specifically designed to fulfill Chinese needs.

The A6 L e-tron concept is an important step towards future electric
mobility in China for Audi. With its first e-tron technology study in
the luxury class, the company is showing what a locally produced New
Energy Vehicle from Audi might look like.

The basis for this study is the new A6 L, the most successful premium
automobile and Audi's bestselling model in China. Audi produces this
business sedan at the Changchun plant in a joint venture with FAW.

The A6 L e-tron concept is precisely tailored to the requirements of
Chinese customers. Plug-in hybrids that can travel long distances
electrically – thereby enabling zero emissions driving in local areas
– are ideal for use in rapidly growing megacities. Beyond its drive
system, the A6 L e-tron concept has all of the qualities that
customers value in Audi cars: prestige, comfort and sporty
performance.

Parallel hybrid system: intelligently combined TFSI and electric
motor
The technology study is a parallel hybrid. It brings together a 2.0
TFSI that outputs 155 kW (211 hp) and an electric motor with 70 kW (95
hp) peak power. The liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery is located in a
collision-protected space at the rear of the vehicle. In electric
mode, the Audi A6 L e-tron concept can travel up to 80 km (49.71
miles) at a constant speed of 60 km/h (37.28 mph). At any given
moment, the hybrid control module chooses the best suited operating
mode with the focus on driving range.

This technology platform can be operated with only the internal
combustion engine, only the electric drive, or in hybrid mode. In
addition, it can recover energy during deceleration, or it can boost
output power for strong acceleration by combining the two drives. The
Audi A6 L e-tron concept delivers sporty performance.

Setting a course for the futu Audi's e-tron strategy
The rapid advance in urbanization and the associated need to reduce
CO2 emissions are a key determining factor for new drive technologies.
Audi views electric mobility as a key future technology and is working
on highly efficient solutions that simultaneously offer the customer a
typical Audi driving experience.

Audi has already launched electrified drive systems in volume
production with full hybrid models that have highly advanced
lithium-ion technology. The Q5 hybrid quattro, A6 hybrid and A8 hybrid
can drive up to three kilometers (1.86 miles) on electric power. In
combined mode, which uses the internal combustion engine and electric
motor, customers experience sporty driving performance and
significantly better fuel economy.

The next step is to implement drive systems in which electric driving
is the primary focus. The term Audi e-tron refers to technologies
ranging from PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) to range extenders
and finally vehicles powered purely by electric batteries or fuel
cells.

In its first Audi e-tron concept car, Audi already showed how this
future might look. And in the case of the R8 e-tron, this vision will
be realized in a short production run later this year.

Audi is using A1 e-tron and A3 e-tron test vehicles to acquire
important customer feedback, which can be incorporated in later
production cars. The first product will be the A3 e-tron in 2014. It
will be followed by other New Energy Vehicles. In this way, e-tron
will become established as a further attractive drive technology
option alongside TDI and TFSI.

Elegant: the styling
The Audi A6 L e-tron concept is notable for its elegant styling. The
sedan, which has a 3.01 meter (9.88 feet) wheelbase, is 5.02 meters
(16.47 feet) long and 1.87 meters (6.14 feet) wide, but only 1.46
meters (4.79 feet) tall. Its long engine hood, its low, extended roof
line and the sharp lines on its sides create an athletic overall look.
Characteristic Audi LED headlights emphasize the car's determined
expression.

The car's exterior styling shows its differences from the production
car. At the front, the single-frame grille with its slender cross-bars
and the nearly covered air intakes attract the eye – both features are
typical of all e-tron models. Powerful 21-inch wheels in e-tron design
and the special rear diffuser highlight the car's progressive
character. On the body, signatures identify the prototype's
technology, while under the engine hood a styling capsule covers
engine components. A ribbed contour at its center symbolizes the
hybrid drive.

Lightweight and strong with Audi ultra: the body
The body of the A6 L e-tron concept is identical to that of the Audi
A6 L. It is lightweight, rigid and safe to a maximum degree, due to
application of the ultra lightweight principle. Consisting of
approximately ten percent aluminum, it weighs about 15 percent less
than a comparable all-steel design. Aluminum components in the
load-bearing structure and exterior skin, as well as the high-tech
steels used in the occupant cell, make the body significantly
lighter.

Each new future Audi model will be lighter in weight than the previous
model. This makes the brand a frontrunner in reversing the upward
weight spiral. In designing car bodies, developers will intelligently
use new combinations of materials, including carbon fiber-reinforced
polymer (CFRP). For Audi, ultra lightweight construction does not
solely focus on one material, rather it seeks a flexible approach that
utilizes a wide variety of materials – but with one goal: to attain
the best performance with the least material usage at the best
places.

Furthermore, advanced materials and construction methods achieve an
extremely low sound level in the interior of the Audi A6 L e-tron
concept. Excellent vibration comfort is attained by fine-tuning
components and by hydraulically damping axle and drive mounts.

Comfortable and sporty: the chassis
Audi's ultra lightweight construction competence is also found in the
chassis, which combines a high level of comfort with sporty handling.
The links are made of aluminum. The power steering, like the brake
booster and the air conditioning compressor, utilizes an
electromechanical drive.

At the limits of performance in driving through curves, the electronic
transverse differential lock – a function of electronic stabilization
control (ESC) – stabilizes the Audi A6 L e-tron concept by making
small interventions at the front wheel on the outside of the curve.

Luxurious: interior and features
As in the Audi A6 L before it, the interior of the technology platform
continues the elegant styling of its exterior design. Its defining
element is an arc under the windshield – the wrap-around – that
surrounds the driver and front passenger. The front of the instrument
panel is designed in the form of a flowing wave. All of the interior
details illustrate the aesthetic standard with which Audi builds its
vehicles. All materials have been carefully selected and meticulously
worked into the design.

The controls are intuitive. The powermeter replaces the tachometer;
its pointer indicates total drive system power on a scale of zero to
100 percent. Colored segments indicate the current operating state of
the A6 L e-tron concept; an auxiliary instrument visualizes the charge
state of the lithium-ion battery.

Meanwhile, the energy flow indicator tells the driver the current
operating mode and which hybrid drive components are currently active.
It can be called up from the driver information system or MMI monitor.
The large screen shows a bar diagram of average fuel economy and
indicates the amount of recovered energy over five-minute intervals.

The Audi A6 L e-tron concept offers a lot of space at all seating
positions. It integrates all of the model line's luxury-class
features. The seats offer ventilation and massage functions, the Bose
surround system delivers good sound, and the deluxe automatic air
conditioning system with air ionizer ensures a pleasant climate in the
car. Ambient lighting adds subtle highlights to the interior
illumination.

The driver assistance and safety systems also satisfy the highest
standards. Audi active lane assist supports the driver in
lane-keeping, while Audi side assist helps to change lanes. When it is
dark, the night vision assistant highlights detected pedestrians even
at a distance; the parking assistant helps in parking. The Audi pre
sense system can reduce the severity of accidents and their
consequences in many cases.

The car's features also include MMI navigation plus. Many functions of
the large hard-drive navigation system can be controlled by touchpad
character input; the touch-sensitive pad, MMI touch, recognizes 29,000
Chinese characters. A team of engineers developed these functions at
the Audi Infotainment Tech Center (ITC) in Beijing, where infotainment
components from Germany are adapted to suit the wishes of Chinese
customers.

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...8791#154198791

Old April 25th 12, 07:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Apr 24, 8:40*pm,
(MummyChunk) wrote:

> The controls are intuitive. The powermeter replaces the tachometer;

Wow. prius owners are flocking to audi en masse
and require the same infotainment to supplant now absent bland driving
experience?

> its pointer indicates total drive system power on a scale of zero to
> 100 percent. Colored segments indicate the current operating state of
> the A6 L e-tron concept; an auxiliary instrument visualizes the charge
> state of the lithium-ion battery.
>
> Meanwhile, the energy flow indicator tells the driver the current
> operating mode and which hybrid drive components are currently active.

Really? And I thought MPG indication is annoying enough.
For the lack of "leave the infotainment panel blank" option I
alternate between
the "time spent en route" and "miles left until next fillup" (the last
one
provides an amusing read given that the fuel level sensor is
malfunctioning in a nearly 10 year old car.)

I'm sure all that infotainment would be very entertaining
as the car ages (if/when it makes into production that is)

Anyhow, it's good it will be tested on chinese first
as they seem to have started "lets test it on americans" trend first