Tire load

Old November 16th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default Tire load

Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
mandatory :-[
I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
right was nearly off
the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
rear sway bars and i think
that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
severely squished,
as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
overloaded while FL was
carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
about 3800lbs worth of
a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
1520lbs.
If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
A blowout is sure to follow or not?

Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
capacity should drop lower yet, right?

thanks
Old November 16th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/16/2011 05:38 AM, AD wrote:
> Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> mandatory :-[
> I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> right was nearly off
> the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> rear sway bars and i think
> that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).
>
> The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> severely squished,
> as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR& RL) were severely
> overloaded while FL was
> carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> about 3800lbs worth of
> a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.
>
> Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> 1520lbs.
> If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> A blowout is sure to follow or not?
>
> Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> capacity should drop lower yet, right?
>
> thanks

you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. "load rating" for a tire
is that which is safe when driven at 100+ mph, at maximum air pressure
from sea level up to 10,000 ft+, when the outside temp is 120F. and
that's dynamic, not static,

you're static, you're not over-inflated, and you're not overheated. i'd
get back to calculating how many grains of sugar to put in your morning
coffee before over-thinking stuff like this again.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 17th 11, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-11-16 10:26:54 -0500, jim beam > said:

> On 11/16/2011 05:38 AM, AD wrote:
>> Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
>> mandatory :-[
>> I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
>> right was nearly off
>> the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
>> rear sway bars and i think
>> that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).
>>
>> The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
>> severely squished,
>> as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
>> It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR& RL) were severely
>> overloaded while FL was
>> carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
>> about 3800lbs worth of
>> a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
>> to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.
>>
>> Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
>> 1520lbs.
>> If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
>> waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
>> A blowout is sure to follow or not?
>>
>> Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
>> capacity should drop lower yet, right?
>>
>> thanks

> you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. "load rating" for a tire
> is that which is safe when driven at 100+ mph, at maximum air pressure
> from sea level up to 10,000 ft+, when the outside temp is 120F. and
> that's dynamic, not static,
>
> you're static, you're not over-inflated, and you're not overheated.
> i'd get back to calculating how many grains of sugar to put in your
> morning coffee before over-thinking stuff like this again.

Absolutely hilarious! Post of the year!

Dave

Old November 17th 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 16, 8:38*am, AD > wrote:
> Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> mandatory :-[
> I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> right was nearly off
> the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> rear sway bars and i think
> that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).
>
> The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> severely squished,
> as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
> overloaded while FL was
> carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> about 3800lbs worth of
> a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.
>
> Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> 1520lbs.
> If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> A blowout is sure to follow or not?
>
> Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> capacity should drop lower yet, right?
>
> thanks

____________________

Just as an aside - what are the speed ratings of your tires?
Typically you'll see an S,T,H, or V rating mixed in with the size.
Mine are P-205/60*H*R-16. The answer you give may explain the
appearance of your sidewalls.
-CC
Old November 21st 11, 08:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Nov 17, 3:30*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> On Nov 16, 8:38*am, AD > wrote:
>

> > Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> > mandatory :-[
> > I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> > right was nearly off
> > the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> > rear sway bars and i think
> > that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

> > The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> > severely squished,
> > as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> > It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
> > overloaded while FL was
> > carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> > about 3800lbs worth of
> > a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> > to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

> > Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> > 1520lbs.
> > If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> > waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> > A blowout is sure to follow or not?

> > Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> > capacity should drop lower yet, right?

> > thanks

> ____________________
>
> Just as an aside - what are the speed ratings of your tires?

195/65R15 T91

I was thinking its Q but given no studs Michelin seems to be confident
the tire will survive past 100mph.

My suspicion this is solely for the end of life when you have less
then 4mm of thread
remaining and want to "finish it off" in summer.

Maybe it's an euro thing: the lack of P prefix for the euro market
tires:
I typically see C postfix for cargo van tires. Such as 205/70R15C for
example.
I don;t think I saw that in the US

> Typically you'll see an S,T,H, or V rating mixed in with the size.
> Mine are P-205/60*H*R-16. *The answer you give may explain the
> appearance of your sidewalls.

per chart at the bottom of this article
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=72
for T speed rating dynamic load rating is no different
that static load rating or whatever is that jim beam have made up.
Old November 21st 11, 08:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AD[_2_]

On Nov 16, 5:26*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> On 11/16/2011 05:38 AM, AD wrote:
>

> > Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> > mandatory :-[
> > I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> > right was nearly off
> > the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> > rear sway bars and i think
> > that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

> > The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> > severely squished,
> > as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> > It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR& *RL) were severely
> > overloaded while FL was
> > carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> > about 3800lbs worth of
> > a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> > to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

> > Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> > 1520lbs.
> > If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> > waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> > A blowout is sure to follow or not?

> > Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> > capacity should drop lower yet, right?

> > thanks

> you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. *"load rating" for a tire
> is that which is safe when driven at 100+ mph, at maximum air pressure
> from sea level up to 10,000 ft+, when the outside temp is 120F. *and
> that's dynamic, not static,
>
> you're static, you're not over-inflated, and you're not overheated. *i'd
> get back to calculating how many grains of sugar to put in your morning
> coffee before over-thinking stuff like this again.

this table
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...adj_Tspeed.jsp

shows ZERO change in Tire Load Capacity at the speeds above 100mph.
If you read my original post (you did that at least once, right, funny
guy?)
you would see that the discussion is for winter rubber
(which is typically rated Q for the hardcore and so on, usually ending
up somewhere in the
laidback winter T territory in case you haven't been paying attention)

but, then, there is always an opportunity for the next stand up
comedian wannabe to practice
his clown act on the wide fields of the usenet.

now lets try alt.autos.subaru now that the group haven't seen a tire
thread in a while
Old November 21st 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
1 Lucky Texan[_2_]

On Nov 21, 1:37*am, AD > wrote:
> On Nov 16, 5:26*pm, jim beam > wrote:
>

> > On 11/16/2011 05:38 AM, AD wrote:

> > > Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> > > mandatory :-[
> > > I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> > > right was nearly off
> > > the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> > > rear sway bars and i think
> > > that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

> > > The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> > > severely squished,
> > > as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> > > It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR& *RL) were severely
> > > overloaded while FL was
> > > carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> > > about 3800lbs worth of
> > > a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> > > to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

> > > Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> > > 1520lbs.
> > > If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> > > waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> > > A blowout is sure to follow or not?

> > > Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> > > capacity should drop lower yet, right?

> > > thanks

> > you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. *"load rating" for a tire
> > is that which is safe when driven at 100+ mph, at maximum air pressure
> > from sea level up to 10,000 ft+, when the outside temp is 120F. *and
> > that's dynamic, not static,

> > you're static, you're not over-inflated, and you're not overheated. *i'd
> > get back to calculating how many grains of sugar to put in your morning
> > coffee before over-thinking stuff like this again.

> this tablehttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/airpress_loadadj_Tspee...
>
> shows ZERO change in Tire Load Capacity at the speeds above 100mph.
> If you read my original post (you did that at least once, right, funny
> guy?)
> you would see that the discussion is for winter rubber
> (which is typically rated Q for the hardcore and so on, usually ending
> up somewhere in the
> laidback winter T territory in case you haven't been paying attention)
>
> but, then, there is always an opportunity for the next stand up
> comedian wannabe to practice
> his clown act on the wide fields of the usenet.
>
> now lets try alt.autos.subaru now that the group haven't seen a tire
> thread in a while

I certainly can't speak to a lot about tires, and even less about
winter driving, but you can find multiple pictures of vehicles on the
track or autoX-ing that are making a turn and have one, maybe both,
inside tires in the air. For those few milliseconds, all the vectored
forces are on 2 tires - and those forces are 'almost' rolling the tire
off the rim!

Most engineers derate their designs. And for tires, they have to
consider what forces it could survive under the worst circumstances -
7 years old, worn to the wear bars and improperly inflated in -40 OR
115degreeF weather. What a new, properly inflated/maintained tire can
SURVIVE is a lot different than 'recommended use'.
Old November 21st 11, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
jim beam[_4_]

On 11/21/2011 05:37 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
<snip>

> Most engineers derate their designs. And for tires, they have to
> consider what forces it could survive under the worst circumstances -
> 7 years old, worn to the wear bars and improperly inflated in -40 OR
> 115degreeF weather. What a new, properly inflated/maintained tire can
> SURVIVE is a lot different than 'recommended use'.

if this guy can read an article from tire rack, which is aimed pretty
danged low, and still fail to understand, then i think we're wasting our
time.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old November 21st 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
dsi1[_6_]

On Nov 16, 3:38*am, AD > wrote:
> Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> mandatory :-[
> I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> right was nearly off
> the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> rear sway bars and i think
> that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).
>
> The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> severely squished,
> as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
> overloaded while FL was
> carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> about 3800lbs worth of
> a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.
>
> Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> 1520lbs.
> If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> A blowout is sure to follow or not?
>
> Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> capacity should drop lower yet, right?
>
> thanks

I had that happen to me the other day. The tire looked deflated but it
was approaching 40 lbs when I measured it. These are Michelin Pilots.
I don't much care for them cause the rubber seems awfully soft and
it's all tore up.
Old November 21st 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.audi
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 21, 2:23*am, AD > wrote:
> On Nov 17, 3:30*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 16, 8:38*am, AD > wrote:

> > > Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not
> > > mandatory :-[
> > > I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear
> > > right was nearly off
> > > the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and
> > > rear sway bars and i think
> > > that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

> > > The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was
> > > severely squished,
> > > as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32).
> > > It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely
> > > overloaded while FL was
> > > carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with
> > > about 3800lbs worth of
> > > a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder
> > > to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

> > > Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is
> > > 1520lbs.
> > > If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire -
> > > waaaay over the 1356lbs rating.
> > > A blowout is sure to follow or not?

> > > Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load
> > > capacity should drop lower yet, right?

> > > thanks

> > ____________________

> > Just as an aside - what are the speed ratings of your tires?

> 195/65R15 T91
>
> I was thinking its Q but given no studs Michelin seems to be confident
> the tire will survive past 100mph.
>
> My suspicion this is solely for the end of life when you have less
> then 4mm of thread
> remaining and want to "finish it off" in summer.
>
> Maybe it's an euro thing: the lack of P prefix for the euro market
> tires:
> I typically see C postfix for cargo van tires. Such as 205/70R15C for
> example.
> I don;t think I saw that in the US
>
> > Typically you'll see an S,T,H, or V rating mixed in with the size.
> > Mine are P-205/60*H*R-16. *The answer you give may explain the
> > appearance of your sidewalls.

> *per chart at the bottom of this articlehttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=72
> for T speed rating dynamic load rating is no different
> that static load rating or whatever is that jim beam have made up.- Hide quoted text -

"T"?? I'm surprised. Typcially V- or higher speed-rated tires have
more flexible sidewalls that appear flattish even at spec PSI. And 65
is hahhdly low profile as far as contemporary tires go.

hmmm.

-CC

Tire load ratings Kurt P. Herzog 4x4 4 June 4th 07 02:52 PM
concord,ca police department gives people tickets that have 525lbs. in a 1 ton pu truck and when the tire load range. on ea tire is 3042lbs. blue sky Driving 2 March 19th 06 06:58 PM