Carby bearings

Old March 9th 11, 10:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Default Carby bearings

I,ve noticed that now I have to fairly regularly work a bit of oil into the
choke pivots or the chokes seize up on my T3. About every 6 months, not a
big deal. Just get some light oil on pivot near where it enters body of
carby and wriggle things for a few minutes. Never happened when I used
leaded petrol oddly.
Another side effect ? Or maybe just the original lubricant has vanished.
No noticeable play in shafts.
John

Old March 9th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

John wrote:

> I,ve noticed that now I have to fairly regularly work a bit of oil into the
> choke pivots or the chokes seize up on my T3. About every 6 months, not a
> big deal. Just get some light oil on pivot near where it enters body of
> carby and wriggle things for a few minutes. Never happened when I used
> leaded petrol oddly.
> Another side effect ? Or maybe just the original lubricant has vanished.
> No noticeable play in shafts.

Maybe it's residue from the oiling that's gumming up the works.

I'd be inclined to dissolve the residues away and clean the area
up with carby cleaner, and just leave it dry to see how that
goes.

John
Old March 10th 11, 08:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

That,s a point. I,m overhauling my spare set of carbs so I,ll complete that
and change over. Just talking to people, wandering around the net you hear
that unleaded petrol being accused of just about everything. Wondered if
different vapour point was washing out oil.

John

Old March 10th 11, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

On 10/03/11 09:45, John wrote:
> That,s a point. I,m overhauling my spare set of carbs so I,ll complete that
> and change over. Just talking to people, wandering around the net you hear
> that unleaded petrol being accused of just about everything. Wondered if
> different vapour point was washing out oil.

Many bearings and axles ( like gas flap axle) are originally desiged to be
lubricated by small amount of lead in fuel. (Like valve stems and valves.)

It's very minimal lubrication but remove that and you might get problems in
vehicles which stand still long times.

"Dry" fuel is always a problem in vehicles designed for fuel which includes
(at least some) lubricants, applies to ethanol too.

Probably not as large as some think, nowadays. More like minor annoyance.

Gasoline additive (lead substitution) might help but it's not cheap.

If I recall right VW used valves and valve stems suitable for unleaded fuel
in all models from somewhere in the latter half of the 60s. (1968?) I tried
to confirm this but quick googling didn't unfortunately find anything reliable.

I'm quite sure that this matter has been discussed here earlier, too, but I
don't recall the results.

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2
Old March 10th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Henderson

Tuomas wrote:

> Many bearings and axles ( like gas flap axle) are originally desiged to be
> lubricated by small amount of lead in fuel. (Like valve stems and valves.)
>
> It's very minimal lubrication but remove that and you might get problems in
> vehicles which stand still long times.
>
> "Dry" fuel is always a problem in vehicles designed for fuel which includes
> (at least some) lubricants, applies to ethanol too.

As far as I know, the idea that tetraethyl lead is a lubricant is
an urban myth. It decomposes in the heat of combustion,
releasing metallic lead. This coats things in the combustion
chamber and exhaust system. Lead does not lubricate valves, it
cushions the valve seat against impact by the valve itself.
Otherwise that impact can result in valve seat recession.

> Probably not as large as some think, nowadays. More like minor annoyance.
>
> Gasoline additive (lead substitution) might help but it's not cheap.
>
> If I recall right VW used valves and valve stems suitable for unleaded fuel
> in all models from somewhere in the latter half of the 60s. (1968?) I tried
> to confirm this but quick googling didn't unfortunately find anything reliable.

IIRC (I worked for VW Australia at the time), initially engines
with hardened valve seats were marked by blue paint dots on the
cylinder heads. I don't remember the year, but 1971 rings a
bell. It may have been one or two years earlier.

I don't believe any other modifications were made to accommodate
unleaded fuel.

> I'm quite sure that this matter has been discussed here earlier, too, but I
> don't recall the results.

John