Locating parts and advice for an alfa spider-1974

Old August 21st 10, 09:02 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Default Locating parts and advice for an alfa spider-1974

Catman > wrote:

> > I'd definitely prefer injection.

> Well if it's carbs or electronic injection, I'd agree, mostly.

Ahhhh, yes, was forgetting Spica isn't electronic.

Mind you, neither is Bosch K-Jet, and that's pretty bullet-proof and
much better than the carb equivalent.
--
SteveH
Old August 21st 10, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>>> I'd definitely prefer injection.

>> Well if it's carbs or electronic injection, I'd agree, mostly.

> Ahhhh, yes, was forgetting Spica isn't electronic.

Indeed.

> Mind you, neither is Bosch K-Jet, and that's pretty bullet-proof

German vs Italian mechanicals

>and
> much better than the carb equivalent.

I'll take your word on it, but define 'better'.

I've only had very rare carb problems, mostly age related, and lack of
regular maintenance[1]

[1] Perished accelerator pump diaphragm and out of balance.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 21st 10, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> >and
> > much better than the carb equivalent.

> I'll take your word on it, but define 'better'.
>
> I've only had very rare carb problems, mostly age related, and lack of
> regular maintenance[1]
>
> [1] Perished accelerator pump diaphragm and out of balance.

Well, I've had 2 carbed cars in my time.

One was a Ford with twin-choke Weber. Would never start in cold weather.
Absolute PITA.

The 2nd was a Golf with Pierburg carb. Got so hacked off with that one I
sold the car rather than sort the carb.
--
SteveH
Old August 21st 10, 09:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>>> and
>>> much better than the carb equivalent.

>> I'll take your word on it, but define 'better'.
>>
>> I've only had very rare carb problems, mostly age related, and lack of
>> regular maintenance[1]
>>
>> [1] Perished accelerator pump diaphragm and out of balance.

> Well, I've had 2 carbed cars in my time.
>
> One was a Ford with twin-choke Weber. Would never start in cold weather.
> Absolute PITA.

Never a problem in any of our Giuliettas or the Sprint.

> The 2nd was a Golf with Pierburg carb. Got so hacked off with that one I
> sold the car rather than sort the carb.

Legendarily bad, though, weren't they?
Old August 21st 10, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> > The 2nd was a Golf with Pierburg carb. Got so hacked off with that one I
> > sold the car rather than sort the carb.

> Legendarily bad, though, weren't they?

French, I think. So probably.
--
SteveH
Old August 26th 10, 01:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TimM

Catman wrote:
> SteveH wrote:

>> Mind you, neither is Bosch K-Jet, and that's pretty bullet-proof

> German vs Italian mechanicals

This is part of my problem - the car is in my wife's mother's garage in
Italy - and they mechanics just don't know what to make of a Spica system.

I believe the Spica is currently working - but the "family friend"
mechanic has said no-one in Italy knows how to fix them, and he
suggested while I am making the car Italian road worthy (read: red tape)
it was worth switching to carbs.

As this is a new venture for us - not entirely sure how to approach this
(the car has been stuck in limbo for a year already - since it was sent
from Canada).

I appreciate your comments.

Tim
Old August 26th 10, 01:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

TimM wrote:
> Catman wrote:
>> SteveH wrote:

>>> Mind you, neither is Bosch K-Jet, and that's pretty bullet-proof

>> German vs Italian mechanicals

> This is part of my problem - the car is in my wife's mother's garage in
> Italy - and they mechanics just don't know what to make of a Spica system.
>
> I believe the Spica is currently working

How long has it been sitting? I find it 'unlikely' at best, but ICBW.

> - but the "family friend"
> mechanic has said no-one in Italy knows how to fix them, and he
> suggested while I am making the car Italian road worthy (read: red tape)
> it was worth switching to carbs.
>
> As this is a new venture for us - not entirely sure how to approach this
> (the car has been stuck in limbo for a year already - since it was sent
> from Canada).
>
> I appreciate your comments.

Our pleasure.

Tell you what, since it's so much hassle, I'll give you a fiver for it