Newbie

Old July 26th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
TRCSr

Default Newbie

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2009 Miata MX-5 with retractable hardtop. This is
the first roadster I have had since the 70's when I had an Austin
Healy 3000. I have been a member of the Chev Tracker group for many
years, but as soon as I sell that little gem I will be dropping out of
the group. I hope I can get as much useful information from this
group.

TRCSr
Old July 26th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
George Jetson[_2_]

"TRCSr" > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I just purchased a 2009 Miata MX-5 with retractable hardtop. This is
> the first roadster I have had since the 70's when I had an Austin
> Healy 3000. I have been a member of the Chev Tracker group for many
> years, but as soon as I sell that little gem I will be dropping out of
> the group. I hope I can get as much useful information from this
> group.
>
> TRCSr

Welcome. You might want to check out forum.miata.net also. Some good info
there, but be forewarned.

While the forums for the older generations of Miatas are quite nice and well
structured with sub-forums, the forum for the newest generation (NC) is
inhabited by a very vocal group of hardcore modders. You're likely to get
attacked and flamed there for showing any love for the stock vehicle.

Unless you're into hardcore modding, it may not be your cup of tea, but
some information can still be gleaned from there.

George

Old July 26th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Wow, I hadn't heard that about the Miata.net forums on the NC, interesting.
Hopefully that will change with time. I know there are allot of us 'middle
aged' guys purchasing the NC, some of whom surely are quite happy with it in
stock form. Myself, I like all of the miatas in stock form, I just think
they are the near perfect compromise and part of the beauty is that with a
bit of thoughtful modification they can easily be fine tuned to where
there's very little compromise from your individual tastes. Flaming anyone
for their appreciation for the stock car is simply immature. On the other
hand if someone came on there all excited with their new sports car and said
it was the best handling sports car out there, that person might get .......
corrected.

Chris
99BBB

Old July 26th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

You'll find no shortage of affection for your car here. Many of us old
soft-toppers and hard-topers, clearly see the beauty (functionally) of your
cars set up! The looks of the NC and the PRHT are subject of some debate but
each new generation of Miata has rattled allot of the cages of the previous
owners. In retrospect, I think Mazda has excellent vision for the little
roadster. I hope they do another 'Mazdaspeed' version and they might have my
perfect car ;-)

The ratio of NA / NB / NC cars is hard to say but it is safe to say that the
NC portion is likely to be the fastest growing segment here in sheer
numbers. We really need new (ACTIVE) blood here so, jump in and don't be
afraid to ask anything! Congrats on the car purchase, I'm sure you're going
to love it.

Tell us about your old Healey 3000 if you get a chance. Allot of us are
classic sports car folks. Personally, if I could afford to, I'd own a Miata
AND an old classic sports car!

Welcome,
Chris
99BBB
prev 92BB&T

Old July 27th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

TRCSr wrote:

> the group. I hope I can get as much useful information from this
> group.

kudos!

well since it's brand spanking new there's only 1 thing you need to know:

1) top down (and don't forget to put in some gas once in a while)

happy motoring!
Old July 27th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Domagoj Bagaric > wrote:

> TRCSr wrote:
>
>> the group. I hope I can get as much useful information from this
>> group.

> kudos!
>
> well since it's brand spanking new there's only 1 thing you need
> to know:
>
> 1) top down (and don't forget to put in some gas once in a while)

Plus change the oil every now and then, check the tires often and don't
race those Ferraris.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old July 27th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Davoud[_2_]

XS11E:
> Plus change the oil every now and then, check the tires often and don't
> race those Ferraris.

Ferraris, Porsches, and other over-powered cars are very useful--as
radar chaff. I've owned sports cars that were a bit quicker than your
average Ferrari (of the same vintage) and (more often) sports cars that
were a _lot_ slower. In either instance, it seems that people have some
deep need to prove that their exotic is faster than my exotic (or even
not-so-exotic). I can't tell you how many times I have given one of
those guys a mock race, then "lost" and let him tear on, because I knew
that over the hill or around that bend was a favorite police radar
hangout. Don't you know those dudes were lock-jawed as I breezed past
at the speed limit--as if I had /made/ them speed. Me? Got a ticket in
Texas in the 60's for an alleged 105 mph in a 35 zone (beat it in
court--or, rather, got an attorney to keep getting continuances until
the docket was cleared and case dismissed) and another in Israel in the
mid 70's for an alleged 190 kph in a 100 kph zone. Ignored it. Put it
on the wall in my embassy office with all the parking tickets and
miscellaneous fines I was ignoring.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 27th 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2009-07-27, Davoud > wrote:

> Me? Got a ticket in Texas in the 60's for an alleged 105 mph
> in a 35 zone (beat it in court--or, rather, got an attorney to
> keep getting continuances until the docket was cleared and
> case dismissed) and another in Israel in the mid 70's for an
> alleged 190 kph in a 100 kph zone. Ignored it. Put it on the
> wall in my embassy office with all the parking tickets and
> miscellaneous fines I was ignoring.

I hope you weren't representing my country while behaving like
such a jerk.

--
Grant

Old July 27th 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Davoud[_2_]

Davoud:
> > Me? Got a ticket in Texas... and another in Israel in the mid 70's for an
> > alleged 190 kph in a 100 kph zone. Ignored it. Put it on the
> > wall in my embassy office with all the parking tickets and
> > miscellaneous fines I was ignoring.

Grant Edwards
> I hope you weren't representing my country while behaving like
> such a jerk.

Now that is funny! May I take it that you don't have a great deal of
experience in the U.S. Foreign Service, and in the finer points of
conducting foreign affairs in general?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 27th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

>> I hope you weren't representing my country while behaving like
>> such a jerk.

> Now that is funny! May I take it that you don't have a great deal of
> experience in the U.S. Foreign Service, and in the finer points of
> conducting foreign affairs in general?

Naw, I think he just knows a jerk when he sees one.

miker

A Newbie Just Saying Hello! alalhp6d[_3_] Chrysler 2 August 12th 08 12:19 AM
Newbie [email protected] Simulators 2 July 6th 07 03:00 PM
newbie in need duffy VW air cooled 5 January 18th 06 05:51 PM
newbie crzybus VW air cooled 29 May 2nd 05 12:13 PM
newbie 4x4 Eddy Long 4x4 3 February 4th 05 04:36 AM