Diagnostic tools for Audi A4, 2002

Old June 15th 09, 01:44 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jacek

Default Diagnostic tools for Audi A4, 2002

Hello,

I am trying to solve a very difficult problem which most likely
involves a foulty electronic module. The back-up lights are
constantly on and passenger side mirror is tilted down as if the car
was in reverse, regardless of the gear shift position. The car has a
tiptronic transmision, by the way. My frastration is high, the car is
disassembled to a large extend. Most of the electronic equipment and
harnesses are exposed. I'm running out of options and I would like to
obtain a diagnostic tool which would let me quiry the electronic
modules, which are interconnected by CAM bus.

Can anyone help?

Thx,
Jack
Old June 15th 09, 03:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Old June 15th 09, 10:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Yvan@office

Nedavno Jacek napisa:

> I am trying to solve a very difficult problem which most likely
> involves a foulty electronic module. The back-up lights are
> constantly on and passenger side mirror is tilted down as if the car
> was in reverse, regardless of the gear shift position. The car has a
> tiptronic transmision, by the way. My frastration is high, the car is
> disassembled to a large extend. Most of the electronic equipment and
> harnesses are exposed. I'm running out of options and I would like to
> obtain a diagnostic tool which would let me quiry the electronic
> modules, which are interconnected by CAM bus.

I do not know anything about tiptronic transmission, but on (older) cars
there is a switch at a gearbox that turns on the back-up lights. In
your case it probably gives a signal to the passenger side mirror to
tilt down. Perhaps you might check that.

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Old June 15th 09, 12:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I second that tool!

It might be a position switch on the transmission, but what does the dash
indicator tell you? Does it always read 'R'?
Might be a relay too!
Not sure what the tip trans has.
Have a repair manual?

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Old June 19th 09, 04:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jacek

On Jun 15, 7:34*am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> I second that tool!
>
> It might be a position switch on the transmission, but what does the dash
> indicator tell you? *Does it always read 'R'?
> Might be a relay too!
> Not sure what the tip trans has.
> Have a repair manual?
>
> "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in ...
>
> http://www.ross-tech.com/
>

> > Jacek wrote:
> >> Hello,

> >> I am trying to solve a very difficult problem which most likely
> >> involves a foulty electronic module. *The back-up lights are
> >> constantly on and passenger side mirror is tilted down as if the car
> >> was in reverse, regardless of the gear shift position. *The car has a
> >> tiptronic transmision, by the way. *My frastration is high, the car is
> >> disassembled to a large extend. *Most of the electronic equipment and
> >> harnesses are exposed. *I'm running out of options and I would like to
> >> obtain a diagnostic tool which would let me quiry the electronic
> >> modules, which are interconnected by CAM bus.

> >> Can anyone help?

> >> Thx,
> >> Jack- Hide quoted text -

Thnk you for the advise guys. The problem is far more involved that
this. A simple back-up light switch applies only to manual
transmissions. This one has a "transmission range switch" which does
a lot more. The switch is good. The signal coming out of the
transmission is good. I believe there is a problem with the
communicaiton between various modules. Something, somwhere is telling
the "electrical power control module" to turn the back-up lights and
tilt the passenger mirror. Something other than the normal signal
coming from the transmission itself. Short of having various modules
available and trying to troubleshoot them one by one, I'm stuck. I'm
afraid a dealer will spend way too much time on it. I don't know how
well and how quickly they can diagnose the problem.
Old June 20th 09, 05:27 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

So did you use a vag-com CAN tool to determine that the position switch on
the transmission is working properly?

Old June 26th 09, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jacek

On Jun 20, 12:27*am, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:
> So did you use a vag-com CAN tool to determine that the position switch on
> the transmission is working properly?
>
> "Jacek" > wrote in message

> On Jun 15, 7:34 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> wrote:
>

> > I second that tool!

> > It might be a position switch on the transmission, but what does the dash
> > indicator tell you? Does it always read 'R'?
> > Might be a relay too!
> > Not sure what the tip trans has.
> > Have a repair manual?

> > "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in

> >http://www.ross-tech.com/

> Thnk you for the advise guys. *The problem is far more involved that
> this. *A simple back-up light switch applies only to manual
> transmissions. *This one has a "transmission range switch" which does
> a lot more. *The switch is good. *The signal coming out of the
> transmission is good. *I believe there is a problem with the
> communicaiton between various modules. *Something, somwhere is telling
> the "electrical power control module" to turn the back-up lights and
> tilt the passenger mirror. *Something other than the normal signal
> coming from the transmission itself. *Short of having various modules
> available and trying to troubleshoot them one by one, I'm stuck. *I'm
> afraid a dealer will spend way too much time on it. *I don't know how
> well and how quickly they can diagnose the problem.- Hide quoted text -

No, I don't have any diagnostic tools. I don't know what to get,
there are so many of them out there. I did measure the voltage on the
"reverse light" signal coming from the transmission switch and it
reads "0 VDC" on all poositions except "10 VDC" on "R", which
obviously is correct.
Old June 27th 09, 02:34 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Sounds like you did some backprobing with all the plugs connected.

For a good tool to use...............go to
http://www.ross-tech.com/
Is the one that is highly recommended!

A good repair manual, Bentley for the USA, is also highly recommended.

I am not familiar how that system works, but it might be a sticking relay or
control module. Probably the ross-tech adapter could help you easily find
the problem. ;-)
There are also clones on ebay and others out there too that are
cheap/cheaper, but the ross-tech adapter holds excellent resale value.

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old July 28th 09, 04:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jacek

On Jun 26, 9:34*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> Sounds like you did some backprobing with all the plugs connected.
>
> For a good tool to use...............go tohttp://www.ross-tech.com/
> Is the one that is highly recommended!
>
> A good repair manual, Bentley for the USA, is also highly recommended.
>
> I am not familiar how that system works, but it might be a sticking relay or
> control module. *Probably the ross-tech adapter could help you easily find
> the problem. *;-)
> There are also clones on ebay and others out there too that are
> cheap/cheaper, but the ross-tech adapter holds excellent resale value.
>
> JMHO
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "Jacek" > wrote in message

> On Jun 20, 12:27 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
>

> > wrote:
> > So did you use a vag-com CAN tool to determine that the position switch on
> > the transmission is working properly?

> > "Jacek" > wrote in message

> > On Jun 15, 7:34 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> > wrote:

> > > I second that tool!

> > > It might be a position switch on the transmission, but what does the
> > > dash
> > > indicator tell you? Does it always read 'R'?
> > > Might be a relay too!
> > > Not sure what the tip trans has.
> > > Have a repair manual?

> > > "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in

> > >http://www.ross-tech.com/

> > Thnk you for the advise guys. The problem is far more involved that
> > this. A simple back-up light switch applies only to manual
> > transmissions. This one has a "transmission range switch" which does
> > a lot more. The switch is good. The signal coming out of the
> > transmission is good. I believe there is a problem with the
> > communicaiton between various modules. Something, somwhere is telling
> > the "electrical power control module" to turn the back-up lights and
> > tilt the passenger mirror. Something other than the normal signal
> > coming from the transmission itself. Short of having various modules
> > available and trying to troubleshoot them one by one, I'm stuck. I'm
> > afraid a dealer will spend way too much time on it. I don't know how
> > well and how quickly they can diagnose the problem.- Hide quoted text -

> No, I don't have any diagnostic tools. *I don't know what to get,
> there are so many of them out there. *I did measure the voltage on the
> "reverse light" signal coming from the transmission switch and it
> reads "0 VDC" on all poositions except "10 VDC" on "R", which
> obviously is correct.- Hide quoted text -

I just got the ross-tech type tool from e-bay. It was sent twice to a
wrong address - ha, ha. Finally got it. It did show a number of
issues that I have to spend more time researching. Seems like the
Comfort Control Module is a major suspect, something I suspected from
the beginning. I hope it will not put me in the poor house if I have
to buy one.

Will keep you posted.

jacek
Old July 28th 09, 04:18 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

You can always post what you found (codes) with your new toy.......I mean
tool! <g>

"Jacek" > wrote

snip