Idle fluctuation, 99 Mazda Protege?

Old March 31st 05, 03:43 AM

Default Idle fluctuation, 99 Mazda Protege?

Hi Group,

I have an intermittent idle fluctuation more noticeable when cold. Some
times the car stalls at a stop and when I put more loads on (lights,
heater, etc) it gets even worse. Other times it will run just fine and
then with no warning it will suddenly start running funny again.

My tech. has not found any external vacuum leaks, he checked with
spraying carb cleaner while it was acting up, no difference. So far we
replaced the plugs and PCV valve, we did not change the idle adjustment
since it runs fine at other times. We found no trouble codes. Coolant
is full, no leaks.

The only thing that made any difference was cleaning the throttle body
of carbon. After that it did run great for about a week. Today we
cleaned it again and it's running good for now.

The car has 107K miles and other wise good power, no smoke, no oil
consumption to speak of. The plugs looked like good tan color.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and invited. Please Help!

Thank you for reading,
Karl.
honda ruehs at cox dot net

Old March 31st 05, 05:56 PM
Shep

Make sure the flex duct from the MAF to the throttle body doesn't have a
slight crack or rip in one of the grooves.
oups.com...

Old March 31st 05, 07:22 PM

Thanks Shep,

Yes the intake pipe/duct was thoroughly inspected when it was off to do
the throttle body cleaning. It was visualy inspected while twisting and
flexing, it got a clean bill of health.

There is some sort of idle controll devise under the throttle body, I
was thinking about removing this part to give good cleaning. Any one
know what this part is actualy called (idle control solenoid? idle
control motor? idle controll valve?) and if it is prone to sticking
with high milage and possible internal carbon build up?

When we finaly figure this thing out I will be sure to leave a follow
up for future group history research purposes.

Thanks, Karl.

Old April 1st 05, 01:03 AM
Shep

pull it and clean the valve tip and shaft only, also the seat and passage in
the TB.
oups.com...