cowl shake

Old July 12th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Habib[_2_]

Default cowl shake

On Jul 11, 8:29 pm, GILL > wrote:
> Habib wrote:
> > For SFC test jack your car up and notice the space between the doors
> > and the frame change.
> > All gone with the SFC installed.

> > Enjoy!
> > Steve

> That's not really very noticeable to me.
> When I jack one rear wheel up the same side front comes up too. Then you
> know it's getting tight.
>
> --
> Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
> W/bits & pieceshttp://tinyurl.com/2uqoat

Do you have a coupe or a convertible?
The convertibles are the ones with the problems.

Old July 12th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL[_6_]

Habib wrote:
> On Jul 11, 8:29 pm, GILL > wrote:
>> Habib wrote:
>>> For SFC test jack your car up and notice the space between the doors
>>> and the frame change.
>>> All gone with the SFC installed.
>>> Enjoy!
>>> Steve

>> That's not really very noticeable to me.
>> When I jack one rear wheel up the same side front comes up too. Then you
>> know it's getting tight.
>>
>> --
>> Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
>> W/bits & pieceshttp://tinyurl.com/2uqoat

> Do you have a coupe or a convertible?
> The convertibles are the ones with the problems.

ANY Mustang can benefit from some good suspension parts. My reply to
your SFC test was just to point out a more glaring example of body flex.

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old July 13th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Habib[_2_]

On Jul 11, 10:47 pm, GILL > wrote:
> Habib wrote:
> >> That's not really very noticeable to me.
> >> When I jack one rear wheel up the same side front comes up too. Then you
> >> know it's getting tight.

> >> --
> >> Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
> >> W/bits & pieceshttp://tinyurl.com/2uqoat

> > Do you have a coupe or a convertible?
> > The convertibles are the ones with the problems.

> ANY Mustang can benefit from some good suspension parts. My reply to
> your SFC test was just to point out a more glaring example of body flex.
>
> --
> Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
> W/bits & pieceshttp://tinyurl.com/2uqoat

No sweat...!!!

I can't say for the S197 verts because Ford did tighten them up quite
a bit, but for the SN95 cars, if you jack up the rear on one side and
look at the door jams you will see the difference.
Some people can't even open the doors with the car jacked up!

To be honest I never noticed it until I went to get tires replaced and
the tech pointed it out to me.
Mine wasn't too bad but he told me of cars where the doors couldn't be
opened with he car jacked on one side.

To be fair, just about any of the verts made do this to some degree.
It's just the nature of the beast, but it can be minimized with
SFC....

What I can say is that a quality STB and SFC will help the verts
tremendously.
It's a great first mod.
Old July 13th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

OK - the STB arrived (factory one) and when I saw how little to it
there is (just two bolts on each side) I didn't expect much, but I'd
estimate that it reduced cowl shake by more than 50%....fewer
rattles.....gives the car a more solid feel, and is all that's needed
for m kind of driving.

I agree that it should be standard equipment.........and I can't believe
that all those magazines wrote that they were impressed that the new
model had no cowl shake ----- they sure must have been paid plenty. Oh
well, wasn't Vega Care of the Year?

Old July 13th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

Itsfrom Click wrote:
> OK - the STB arrived (factory one) and when I saw how little to it
> there is (just two bolts on each side) I didn't expect much, but I'd
> estimate that it reduced cowl shake by more than 50%....fewer
> rattles.....gives the car a more solid feel, and is all that's
> needed for m kind of driving.
>
> I agree that it should be standard equipment.........and I can't
> believe that all those magazines wrote that they were impressed
> that the new model had no cowl shake ----- they sure must have been
> paid plenty. Oh well, wasn't Vega Care of the Year?

Yes it were. Motor Trend sent me a dozen stickers to put on it, and
anything else that held still long enough.

Actually, I owned four Vegas. The only problems I had with them were
created by the driver(s), one of whom I refuse to identify. The early
ones (1971-72) were better than the later, heavier ones, for my
autocross and road-racing uses. Strange that the ones I used on the
tracks had what seemed to be bullet-proof engines, while the
daily-driven ones failed in notorious ways. Maybe a contribution in
the 1971 configuration was the one-barrell carburetor, acting like a
restrictor plate to keep it from turning too many revs. It would reach
its theoretical red line before the ends of the long straights at
Ontario Motor Speedway and Riverside Intrenational Raceway.

I really liked the looks, especially the Kammback wagon, and still
think the majors are missing a bet by not offering two-door wagons in
the traditional proportions.

See he
http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/wagon.htm

One of my friends tells me he thinks I have a thing for underdogs:
Vega cars, TR7 convertibles, S197 V6s ...

--
Frank ess

5.0 Mustang Cowl Shake/strut brace/subframe connectors [email protected] Ford Mustang 2 August 12th 06 04:08 AM
Front End Shake thuhn10 Ford Explorer 5 January 29th 06 03:36 AM
5.2L Shake Shake Shake tubbco15 Chrysler 7 October 25th 05 12:14 AM