Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

Old January 26th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Walter Cohen

Default Automotive floor jacks - bottle or floor jack

I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that
come in a car I just don't trust.

What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? I
want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.

Thanks.
Walter

Old January 27th 08, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house, rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Jan 26, 5:56*pm, "Walter Cohen" > wrote:
> I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
> flat in my garage or driveway. *The crappy standard equipment jacks that
> come in a car I just don't trust.
>
> What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
> corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? *I
> want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
> working on the car. *I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.
>
> Thanks.
> Walter

Floor jack.
Old January 27th 08, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
jJim McLaughlin

Walter Cohen wrote:
> I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
> flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that
> come in a car I just don't trust.
>
> What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
> corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? I
> want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
> working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.
>
> Thanks.
> Walter

You need three wheel chocks what ever jack you feel most comfortable using.

For me, a floor jack with at least a 16" lift was best.

A lot depends upon what vehicle you are lifting.

For my uses, a bottle jack just doesn't have enough lift.

There is no "one size fits all" answer.
Old January 27th 08, 12:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:56:57 -0500, "Walter Cohen"
> wrote:

>I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
>flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that
>come in a car I just don't trust.
>
>What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
>corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? I
>want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
>working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.
>
>Thanks.
>Walter

Floor jack! DO not crawl under this vehicle!! A bottle jack tends to
slip; causing the vehicle to fall...even with a floor jack.

Perform this work on a flat surface and block the tires on the ground.

Oren
Old January 27th 08, 12:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Twayne

> I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to
> change a flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard
> equipment jacks that come in a car I just don't trust.
>
> What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up
> the corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor
> jack? I want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack
> while I'm working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack
> stands for safety.
> Thanks.
> Walter

Floor jack. Bottle jacks have small lift points, harder to position,
shorter lift, and no give should the car move a quarter inch or so
during the lift, all of which a floor jack makes a lot more forgiving.
Besides, there being types made for the job.

Always block the other wheels, AT LEAST the wheel kitty-corner to the
wheel you're lifting. If lifting a front wheel set the emergency brake.
Always have car in Park for changing tires, never neutral.
Jack stands not usually necessary for changing a tire but a good idea
because "stuff" does happen. Only lift as far as necessary, never more.

Never hi jack,

Twayne

--
Twayne

Tired of MS Office and their shananigans?
Try this free replacement:
http://www.openoffice.org

Old January 27th 08, 02:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house, rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Eric9822

On Jan 26, 2:56*pm, "Walter Cohen" > wrote:
> I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
> flat in my garage or driveway. *The crappy standard equipment jacks that
> come in a car I just don't trust.
>
> What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
> corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? *I
> want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
> working on the car. *I know I need to also get some jack stands for safety.
>
> Thanks.
> Walter

Floor Jack. And if you are going to get under the vehicle ALWAYS use
jack stands.
Old January 27th 08, 02:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house, rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech

if you are getting under the car make sure its sturdy. don't trust a
jack, maybe lower the weight onto a solid timber or something like
that.
Old January 27th 08, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Bob M.

"Walter Cohen" > wrote in message
>I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
>flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that
>come in a car I just don't trust.

What are you going to use when you get a flat elsewhere? The scissors jack
works just fine. I've lifted up full-size vans on the "crappy standard
equipment jack".

Old January 27th 08, 03:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Bob Jones

"Walter Cohen" > wrote in message
>I want to get one (at least) hydraulic jack to use if I need to change a
>flat in my garage or driveway. The crappy standard equipment jacks that
>come in a car I just don't trust.

The jack that comes with the car is for changing tires. What's wrong with
that?

> What is better/easier to use for changing tires (or plain lifting up the
> corner of a car) - a hydraulic bottle jack or a hydraulic floor jack? I
> want to be sure also that the car doesn't slip off the jack while I'm
> working on the car. I know I need to also get some jack stands for
> safety.
>
> Thanks.
> Walter

You can get floor jack and jack stands combo. They are cheap.

Old January 27th 08, 03:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
philthy[_1_]

get a good floor jack
bottle jacks have their place but are less safe