96 Cavalier transmission question

Old December 12th 04, 06:59 AM

Default 96 Cavalier transmission question

Greetings all,
I have a 96 Chevy Cavalier that is giving a grinding (almost, but
best I can discribe) noise when turning right. My first thought was
something rubbing (kind of what it sounds like), but this is not the
case as far as I can tell (almost positive it is not). Next thought was
drive axle, but again this is for sure not the case (I replaced it). It
is only when turning to the right and accellerating. By the way, it is
an automatic 3 speed transmission (and 2.2l but that should not
matter).
I'm not mechanically inept, and do most work myself, but this has me
stumped. Thinking it may be within the transmission (?). Also,
sometimes (every few weeks or so) it will "click" when I am in drive
and stopped. I am in the millitary and live on base and the first time
I heard this it sounded like someone was shooting a machine gun far
off, but then realised it was from the front of the car.
This car has been good to me (i've had it about 100,000 miles) and
have only had to put a turn signal, water pump, and a head gasket (blew
from a water jacket to external) on this car. It runs better than my 02
Malibu. I am getting ready to sell it to family (for a very reasonable
price) because I am moving to Germany, but would hate for it to die in
a few months.
Thank you in advance for the help. I really appreciate sharing of
knowlege.
Chris
STEWSCLUES