"Full Synthetics"

Old December 11th 04, 01:27 AM
Rudy Hiebert

Default "Full Synthetics"

It may come as a shock to some but "Full" is not the same as "100%".
The brands that have that on the lable want to make you get the
impression that it is. It's not illegal because there is no rule that
says anything about a minimum amount of synthetics before it's called
"Full".
Old December 11th 04, 01:36 AM
Mike Romain

LOL!

There also isn't a law saying just 'what' a synthetic is...

Most of them now are just the old oil with some chemical change. It
don't occur in nature so it is 'synthetic'.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 11th 04, 02:45 AM
y_p_w

Mike Romain wrote:

> LOL!
>
> There also isn't a law saying just 'what' a synthetic is...
>
> Most of them now are just the old oil with some chemical change. It
> don't occur in nature so it is 'synthetic'.

Nothing about motor oil is "natural". It's also not "dino" - fossil
fuels and other crude oil products are mostly derived from plant
materials. Not related to your post, but man the use of these terms
annoys me.

From what I understand about the hydrocracked base oils (type II/III)
is that they're a real advance. These base oils have a much higher
inherent viscosity index. Whether or not they're truly "synthetic"
is another matter. To me, plastic is synthetic. Silicone is synthetic.
Something made with a refining process is not synthetic in my opinion.

Although they may be better than oil mineral-based motor oil - I don't
get the sense that they outperform a true PAO/ester synthetic oil.
The only probably is in how hard it is to identify which one are the
"true" synthetics or "marketing" synthetics.

Old December 11th 04, 02:32 PM
Dave Gower

"Rudy Hiebert" > wrote in message
om...
> It may come as a shock to some but "Full" is not the same as "100%".
> The brands that have that on the lable want to make you get the
> impression that it is. It's not illegal because there is no rule that
> says anything about a minimum amount of synthetics before it's called
> "Full".

Like the other posters say, there is no standard terminology. Because I live
in a cold climate (Eastern Ontario) the only hard fact I look at is cold
weather viscosity, which is better with synthetic and allows the engine to
turn more easily on a cold morning. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with the
them. For normal driving in other seasons they're just a waste of money. As
to the promised long change intervals, the problem is that synthetic oil
gets dirty just as fast as regular oil.

Old December 12th 04, 08:57 AM
Ray

The Cat wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:32:37 -0500, Dave Gower wrote:
>

>>Like the other posters say, there is no standard terminology. Because I
>>live in a cold climate (Eastern Ontario) the only hard fact I look at is
>>cold weather viscosity, which is better with synthetic and allows the
>>engine to turn more easily on a cold morning. Otherwise I wouldn't bother
>>with the them.

> Which brand and viscosity of oil do you prefer to use in the winter? Was
> there some fact sheet you used to determine your choice and what was it if
> so?

I've started to use Walmart 0w30 synthetic in my truck for the winter.
It's still runny at -30. Definitely turns over faster.

Ray