Roll Bars???

Old July 16th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

Default Roll Bars???

On 2007-07-16, Carbon > wrote:

>>> Informative, thank you. It looks daunting enough that if I
>>> were to get one I might pay someone to install it. The Deuce
>>> looks pretty cool, but I don't know how much it would
>>> contribute to safety or stiffness.

>> I have a Hard Dog Duce in my '03. It has 6 mounting points and
>> I noticed the additional stiffness immediately!

Same here. (Also an 03.)

> Hmmm. I'll have to add that to my wishlist. Install it
> yourself?

The Duece isn't noticable at all while driving -- doesn't
obstruct the rearward view at all. It works fine with the
hardtop and with both NA and NB soft tops. NB: there are two
versions of the Deuce, one with rearward braces that descend
from more towards the center of the hoop and one where they
descend from the outboard sides of the hoop. I have the
latter.

I did. My brother and I installed two of them: one in his 96
and one in my 03. The first one took an entire weekend plus an
evening or two. The second one was done in one weekend. It's
not all that difficult a job, but it's a fair bit of awkward
work and not for the faint of heart (it involves drilling
though the body and cutting some sheet metal).

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are we wet yet?
at
Old July 16th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Jul 16, 7:08 am, Grant Edwards > wrote:

> >> I have a Hard Dog Duce in my '03. It has 6 mounting points and
> >> I noticed the additional stiffness immediately!

> Same here. (Also an 03.)
>
> > Hmmm. I'll have to add that to my wishlist. Install it
> > yourself?

> The Duece isn't noticable at all while driving -- doesn't
> obstruct the rearward view at all. It works fine with the
> hardtop and with both NA and NB soft tops. NB: there are two
> versions of the Deuce, one with rearward braces that descend
> from more towards the center of the hoop and one where they
> descend from the outboard sides of the hoop. I have the
> latter.
>
> I did. My brother and I installed two of them: one in his 96
> and one in my 03. The first one took an entire weekend plus an
> evening or two. The second one was done in one weekend. It's
> not all that difficult a job, but it's a fair bit of awkward
> work and not for the faint of heart (it involves drilling
> though the body and cutting some sheet metal).
>
> --
> Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are we wet yet?
> at
> visi.com

Does the extra weight, etc. affect your gas milage at all??

Old July 16th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-07-16, Jazz_Azz > wrote:

> Does the extra weight, etc. affect your gas milage at all??

I don't know, but it doesn't weigh _that_ much.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Either CONFESS now or
at we go to "PEOPLE'S COURT"!!
Old July 16th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Grant Edwards > wrote:

> On 2007-07-16, Jazz_Azz > wrote:
>
>> Does the extra weight, etc. affect your gas milage at all??

> I don't know, but it doesn't weigh _that_ much.

The performance loss can be compensated by skipping lunch a couple of
times...... or painting the car white. ;-)

Old July 16th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:02:45 -0700, XS11E > wrote:

>The performance loss can be compensated by skipping lunch a couple of
>times...... or painting the car white. ;-)

Yep. Everyone knows white Miatae go faster, 'cuz their owners are ashamed to be
seen in them, and are hurrying to get them back out of sight in their garages.

Not to mention that white is the color of most purpose-built or spec race cars,
before they get an interesting/attractive paint job. When you see a white car
at the track, you automatically assume that the owner couldn't afford to paint
it.

-- Larry (black '95 R...)
Old July 17th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pltrgyst > wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:36:37 GMT, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>
>>In article .com>,
>> Jazz_Azz > wrote:
>>
>>> How many of you have had roll bars installed???

>It's the first thing I did when I bought the car -- Hard Dog Hard Core, that
>fits under the top and the hardtop.
>
>>But my wife feels a rollbar would ruin the feeling of freedom for which
>>we bought the car, and she's right.

>How does that happen? When we're in the car, we never see the roll bar, and it
>has no noticeable effect on air flow,so how does it decrease your "feeling of
>freedom"?

Some of us have a mental image of our surroundings even if we are not looking
at it.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old July 17th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Carbon wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:57:15 -0400, Iva wrote:
>
>> I had one in my 1990 and just installed one in the '04 last
>> weekend. I
>> went with the Hard Dog M1 Sport for the '90 and the M2 Sport for
>> the
>> '04. It definitely adds some stiffness to the body, which was
>> particulary noticeable in the '90. Photos of the installation on
>> the
>> '04 can be seen he http://tinyurl.com/yq8ovx

> Informative, thank you. It looks daunting enough that if I were to
> get one
> I might pay someone to install it. The Deuce looks pretty cool, but
> don't know how much it would contribute to safety or stiffness.

Our club has several members who are *very* knowledgeable about
installing bars. I think they've done nearly 60 in the last couple of
years. The only cost is a monetary donation to the club.

>> Our club did lose a member to a rollover but it was a freak
>> accident -
>> he dropped a wheel off the shoulder and hit a rock which flipped
>> his
>> car. The top was down and he had no rollbar.
>>
>> Iva & Vixen
>> 2004 Classic Red
>> No more winkin' Miata

> Vixen is it? I like it.

Yeah, it seems to fit her. Sleek and a little sassy.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old July 17th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Bruce wrote:
> OH Iva, I love your work method !!! If you get in the way enough,
> they
> will make you stop and get out of the way. THEN, you don't need to
> do
> anything at all. :-) Good move !
>
> The Car and Roll Bar look good !

Actually, everytime I tried to help, Lou or Bruce said I was in the
way! So, I went inside and chatted with Lou's wife and Brent's wife
about legal issues.

Transporting the un-installed bar in (on) the Miata was a challenge -
and I just *knew* that Lou would have a great time harassing me about
it. ;-)

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old July 17th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Jazz_Azz wrote:
> My 2000 is also a red one looking just like yours, black
> interior/top.
> And this does not interfere with the top or anything else??

Nope, not at all. I even installed the padding and cover and the
softop goes up over it with room to spare.

I have not put the hard top on the '04 yet but I don't anticipate the
bar will interfere at all since it didn't with the '90.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Roll Bars? Bruce Yettra Mazda 19 April 21st 07 04:14 PM
Seat Belts and roll bars Chip Jeep 0 February 9th 06 01:20 AM
Convertible Roll over bars - windshield frame Mr.X Technology 13 January 22nd 06 07:14 PM
roll bars dave Mazda 13 December 26th 05 08:23 PM
E39 540iA ('00): Eibach / Dinan Anti-roll Bars Ken R. BMW 0 May 17th 05 05:39 PM