What did I fry in my dashboard?

Old May 29th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default What did I fry in my dashboard?

Over the weekend I fried a red/gray (or black) wire located just to the
right of the steering column leading into the center console in my '92 Miata
along the bottom of the dashbord. It paralleled a blue wire.

My guess is there was a short involving the Viper security system toggle
switch, which I repeatedly have had I to tuck back up under the dashboard.
The short happened as I opened the door, turning on the interior lights,
even before putting the key in the ignition. After a lot of grayish white
smoke from under the dash and through the center console back towards the
ashtry, the charred wire fell to the floor. I was able to start the car and
all other electric functions appeared to be working -- lights, turning
signals, wipers, radio, dashboard gauges and lights -- and drive the 40
miles or so home.

I'm about the fourth owner since the Viper system was installed and have
never used it or set it and am not familiar with it, so don't know if that's
what fried.

Appc any thoughts on what I should be looking for and how to repair.

Hugh

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 29th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

wrote:
> Over the weekend I fried a red/gray (or black) wire located just to the
> right of the steering column leading into the center console in my '92 Miata
> along the bottom of the dashbord. It paralleled a blue wire.
>
> My guess is there was a short involving the Viper security system toggle
> switch, which I repeatedly have had I to tuck back up under the dashboard.
> The short happened as I opened the door, turning on the interior lights,
> even before putting the key in the ignition. After a lot of grayish white
> smoke from under the dash and through the center console back towards the
> ashtry, the charred wire fell to the floor. I was able to start the car and
> all other electric functions appeared to be working -- lights, turning
> signals, wipers, radio, dashboard gauges and lights -- and drive the 40
> miles or so home.
>
> I'm about the fourth owner since the Viper system was installed and have
> never used it or set it and am not familiar with it, so don't know if that's
> what fried.
>
> Appc any thoughts on what I should be looking for and how to repair.
>
> Hugh

http://www.usenet.com

I think that you are on the right track with the alarm system.

Any OEM wire burning out like that would probably set off your CEL, and
it would definitely stop your wipers, lights, horn or something related
to the steering column area at the very least.

You did not mention year model, but I have found very few wiring issues
with even the 1990-1993 miatas except for cleaning various contacts as
normal.

I would either have an alarm shop verify that this is the case and yank
the whole thing out or trace down the wires yourself.

The wires should be fairly obvious as non-OEM since they won't be
integrated into the main wiring harness, and will be connected to the
alarm control box, most likely somewhere under the dash.

Good luck!

Pat

Best dashboard protectant? grinder BMW 12 February 20th 07 05:48 PM
Oxidized dashboard sumtimes Technology 2 December 28th 05 01:22 AM
e39 dashboard and fan stew_mclean BMW 3 September 19th 04 09:32 AM
dashboard bigjay 4x4 1 September 11th 04 07:48 PM
156 dashboard Ppelectron Alfa Romeo 4 May 23rd 04 12:16 AM