Timing belt question

Old May 6th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default Timing belt question

"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

> Some idiot talking on a mobile driving into the back of a your car
> when if broke down would be in the wrong.

True, but if you're driving a Miata and he's driving an 18 wheeler does
him being wrong make up for you being dead?

Here, and I suspect where you are also, people tend to follow much too
closely so if you're driving at speed and the timming belt breaks you
do have a very real possibility of being hit from behind.

Since we're driving Miatas, it's an almost sure thing the other guy
will be bigger and heavier and, right or wrong, we'll sustain the
greater injuries.

Old May 6th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

XS11E > wrote:

> too closely so if you're driving at speed and the timming belt

I probably meant timing belt, who knows?
Old May 6th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

>> Of course, not replacing at 60 kmi has the disadvantage that you cannot
>> blame Mazda for the chain collision you caused having your belt go out
>> at 70 kmi in the middle of a busy freeway in front of that SUV that
>> was not on the cell phone at the time. The legal responsibility
>> will be all yours.
>>
>> Leon

>Dunno how things work over there in "The land of the free", but over here if
>you run into the back of another vehicle, you are almost certainly in the
>wrong.

Technically yes. But what a jury aware of real life on the highways will think
is another matter.

> (possible exceptions are if the driver in front is drunk, driving
>unlicensed, reversing, or deliboratly attempting to cause an accident).

I am sure a jury would look unfavorable on the fact that proper maintenance
was *not* performed, leading to a car coming to a full stop in the middle
of the freeway without any brake lights to show for it.

>Some idiot talking on a mobile driving into the back of a your car when if
>broke down would be in the wrong.

Which is why I noted he was *not* on the cell phone, according to the
available evidence.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old May 6th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

zenmartini wrote:
> I know the timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 60k. My 2000 is
> at 75k but the belt is in good condition... no nicks etc. Money is
> tight at the moment... how much longer can I go before this has to be
> replaced... I know that I'll be stuck wherever I am but there is no
> damage that can occur right?

The biggest risk is that it fails halfway through an overtaking
manoeuvre. However, and for reasons I don't understand, the Miata/MX-5
belts normally fail when the engine is first fired up.
Old May 7th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Zog The Undeniable > wrote:

>zenmartini wrote:
>> I know the timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 60k. My 2000 is
>> at 75k but the belt is in good condition... no nicks etc. Money is
>> tight at the moment... how much longer can I go before this has to be
>> replaced... I know that I'll be stuck wherever I am but there is no
>> damage that can occur right?
>>

>The biggest risk is that it fails halfway through an overtaking
>manoeuvre. However, and for reasons I don't understand, the Miata/MX-5
>belts normally fail when the engine is first fired up.

The rubber is harder when the belt is cold?

Leon
Old May 7th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

, replace the water pump too; it's only about
> a $75 part, but if it fails it'd cost an additional $150-$200 in labor to
> take off the stuff you need to to get at it, not to mention you might ruin
> the cylinder head if it overheats.
>
> Yours WDK -

$75 might be Mazda pricing, not sure but when I replaced my waterpump on the
NA a couple years ago it was like $30 @ Autozone (I know some people will
groan abouthe Zone). I figure at the first timing belt change, the waterpump
usually doesn't get changed but at the second it seem silly not to.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 7th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

> The rubber is harder when the belt is cold?

I think it's very likely that's exactly the reason. Another part of it may
be that initial start up puts more torque on it than gradual acceleration
does.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 7th 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chas Hurst

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message

>> The rubber is harder when the belt is cold?
>>

> I think it's very likely that's exactly the reason. Another part of it may
> be that initial start up puts more torque on it than gradual acceleration
> does.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

The torsional forces on the belt are highest at lower speeds, engine turning
at start speed-ca 200rpm.

Old May 7th 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> Zog The Undeniable > wrote:
>
>>zenmartini wrote:
>>> I know the timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 60k. My 2000 is
>>> at 75k but the belt is in good condition... no nicks etc. Money is
>>> tight at the moment... how much longer can I go before this has to be
>>> replaced... I know that I'll be stuck wherever I am but there is no
>>> damage that can occur right?
>>>

>>The biggest risk is that it fails halfway through an overtaking
>>manoeuvre. However, and for reasons I don't understand, the Miata/MX-5
>>belts normally fail when the engine is first fired up.

> The rubber is harder when the belt is cold?
>
> Leon
> --

Also oil is cold & more viscious.

Old May 8th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Hughes[_2_]

"miker" wrote:

> When I first started reading this group I remember this subject coming
> up. It was said that the water pumps often start to fail near 100k and
> all the same stuff has to come off, so do the belt and the water pump
> between 80k and 100k.
>
> (No experience myself with this, just remembered it as sounding
> sensible.)
>
> miker

I changed my timing belt somewhere in the 75-80k mile range. Unfortunately
I didn't know to do the water pump too. The water pump went about 30k
miles later.. so I got a new water pump and a new timing belt. If you're
doing one, always do the other. I have about 60k miles on the "new" water
pump and timing belt, and plan to replace them when they have about 100k
miles on them.

-Scott

78 VW Rabbit Diesel TIming Belt/Injector Timing Question JH VW water cooled 13 August 5th 06 02:57 AM
Another timing belt question Dave Smith Mazda 15 April 14th 06 02:29 AM
16V timing belt question Rick VW water cooled 0 October 23rd 05 02:14 AM
timing belt question... qslim Honda 1 November 15th 04 04:20 AM
98 Jetta: timing belt question-non-interference?/transmission fluid question Ben867-5309 VW water cooled 1 October 20th 04 03:53 PM