Coolland additive required in Ford IDI 7.3 with new extended life antifreeze ?

Old December 10th 04, 02:03 PM

Default Coolland additive required in Ford IDI 7.3 with new extended life antifreeze ?

I recnetly puchansed a 1994 Ford F250 IDI non-turbo . The previous own
just changed the water pump about 6 months ago and flaushed the cooling
system and replaced with ( gold color ) Prestone Extended Life
antifreeze but didn't add in the any of the cooling system additive (
called FW16 in the owner's manual ) . Is this OK with this kind of
antifreeze or do I need to put some in ? - thanks

Old December 10th 04, 09:43 PM
GW Bush

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I recnetly puchansed a 1994 Ford F250 IDI non-turbo . The previous own
> just changed the water pump about 6 months ago and flaushed the

cooling
> system and replaced with ( gold color ) Prestone Extended Life
> antifreeze but didn't add in the any of the cooling system additive (
> called FW16 in the owner's manual ) . Is this OK with this kind of
> antifreeze or do I need to put some in ? - thanks

You should not have bought this vehicle. You have no way of knowing how
long the previous owner has been neglecting it. You should drain and
flush the system and refill with the specified coolant. Get yourself a
coolant testing kit and monitor the system from now on and pray.

Old December 11th 04, 02:02 PM
Peter Arnold

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:43:00 GMT, "GW Bush" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> I recnetly puchansed a 1994 Ford F250 IDI non-turbo . The previous own
>> just changed the water pump about 6 months ago and flaushed the

>cooling
>> system and replaced with ( gold color ) Prestone Extended Life
>> antifreeze but didn't add in the any of the cooling system additive (
>> called FW16 in the owner's manual ) . Is this OK with this kind of
>> antifreeze or do I need to put some in ? - thanks
>>

>You should not have bought this vehicle. You have no way of knowing how
>long the previous owner has been neglecting it. You should drain and
>flush the system and refill with the specified coolant. Get yourself a
>coolant testing kit and monitor the system from now on and pray.

I don't agree at all.
Get the test strips, check the coolant. Adjust aditive as required.

Drive it and enjoy.

Is the motor damaged? Maybe, there is no way to tell. It's a 10 year
old truck, I'm betting the engine out lives the chassis.......

--

Peter T. Arnold
Windsor, Connecticut

1987 Mercedes 300SDL, 222 Kmi on Delvac @ 20 Kmi Changes

1995 Ford F-250 W/PSD, 176 Kmi on Rotella @ 5 Kmi Changes

2002 PT Cruizer, 65 Kmi, Every 5 Kmi with what's on sale

1954 Metropolitan {My Hanger-Queen}

None use oil between changes, go figure ;-)