Clear plastic lense repair

Old June 27th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Clear plastic lense repair

Hi my name is Hal and I just found your site, and from what I have seen this
is the place for information!,
so here is my question, I have a pair of 45 year old, once in a life time
clear plastic lenses that need to be restored, the lenses are not missing any
pieces and are still very clear, but have small cracks or fissures, I need a
repair product that will flow in to the fissures or cracks and meld them back
together without worping or distorting the lense, they have the usual amount
of light diffusing contours and texture, what is my best bet for restoring
these lenses without killing a pair of lights that I will never get my hands
on again??
any help and advice would greatly be appreciated!
Thank you very much
Hal
Old June 27th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

leadlap24 wrote:
> Hi my name is Hal and I just found your site, and from what I have seen this
> is the place for information!,
> so here is my question, I have a pair of 45 year old, once in a life time
> clear plastic lenses that need to be restored, the lenses are not missing any
> pieces and are still very clear, but have small cracks or fissures, I need a
> repair product that will flow in to the fissures or cracks and meld them back
> together without worping or distorting the lense, they have the usual amount
> of light diffusing contours and texture, what is my best bet for restoring
> these lenses without killing a pair of lights that I will never get my hands
> on again??
> any help and advice would greatly be appreciated!
> Thank you very much
> Hal

if they are really that valuable it might be worth it to pull a mold
from them and have them recast. A nice side benefit would be that you
could make a couple extra sets to sell and try to recover your costs.
Sorry, but I can't give you any more specific advice as this is not
something that I have done before.

nate

Old June 30th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

leadlap24 wrote:

> Hi my name is Hal and I just found your site, and from what I have seen this
> is the place for information!,
> so here is my question, I have a pair of 45 year old, once in a life time
> clear plastic lenses that need to be restored, the lenses are not missing any
> pieces and are still very clear, but have small cracks or fissures, I need a
> repair product that will flow in to the fissures or cracks and meld them back
> together without worping or distorting the lense, they have the usual amount
> of light diffusing contours and texture, what is my best bet for restoring
> these lenses without killing a pair of lights that I will never get my hands
> on again??
> any help and advice would greatly be appreciated!
> Thank you very much
> Hal

You will need to determine what they are made of. Find that out and you may be
able to determine the type of solvent and temperature to work with.
Odds are they are some sort of styrene... but which of thousands of formulations?
If they are truely valuable I would take them to a plastics chem lab for analysis
and recommendations.