Questions before buying a Miata

Old September 22nd 05, 10:24 PM

Default Questions before buying a Miata

Hi all, I am considering buying a Miata and I have several questions I
hope you kind folks can answer.

For the past decade I have driven Honda hatchbacks, which I like
because they are reasonably small, durable, fuel-efficient vehicles
that handle well. It sounds like the Miatas meet those characteristics
-- and I am now looking for something smaller than the Hondas.

>From consumer reviews I've read, the Miatas are also durable,

long-running, reliable and reasonably fuel-efficient.

Here's what I would like to know:

How long is the average lifespan of a Miata? How much more can I expect
to get out of one if I buy it at 100K miles? 125K? 150K? (I've seen
some at nearly 200K). I know it depends on how it's been driven during
those miles, but I'm trying to get a ballpark idea.

What are some of the unique expenditures Miata owners have to
undertake? For example, I understand the back windows tend to fade and
need replacing. How often? How much does that cost? What other sorts of
things, particular to Miatas, bring an added cost to the owner?

If I'm shopping for one, what are some of the particular weak spots on
these cars I should look for, above and beyond the usual engine checks,
tire checks, suspension checks and so on?

Also, in your experience, how much does it cost to insure a Miata in a
major city if it's a female driver being insured?

The reason I ask is that I've seen several of these cars in my price
range (under $3500) but they are older cars. The car I'm giving up now
was also older and in bad shape (compared to other cars of its age - a
Honda at 136K miles is by no means an old car). I'd like not to spend
thousands of dollars on repairs immediately if I can avoid it - I'd
rather make a wise buy, of course.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much. I'm excited by the prospect of owning one of these cars!

Old September 22nd 05, 11:48 PM
pws

> Hi all, I am considering buying a Miata and I have several questions I
> hope you kind folks can answer.
>
> For the past decade I have driven Honda hatchbacks, which I like
> because they are reasonably small, durable, fuel-efficient vehicles
> that handle well. It sounds like the Miatas meet those characteristics
> -- and I am now looking for something smaller than the Hondas.
>
>>From consumer reviews I've read, the Miatas are also durable,

> long-running, reliable and reasonably fuel-efficient.

This is true.

> Here's what I would like to know:
>
> How long is the average lifespan of a Miata? How much more can I expect
> to get out of one if I buy it at 100K miles? 125K? 150K? (I've seen
> some at nearly 200K). I know it depends on how it's been driven during
> those miles, but I'm trying to get a ballpark idea.

It depends on how it has been serviced more than how it was driven,
unless the driver abused it. It is impossible to say for certain how
long it would last or what would break down.
I would have the car checked out by a mechanic and have a compression
test done on the engine. If you are looking at $3500.00 and less miatas,
you should check to see if the timing belt has been replaced and when.
That is a fairly expensive job to have done and most older miatas need it.

> What are some of the unique expenditures Miata owners have to
> undertake? For example, I understand the back windows tend to fade and
> need replacing. How often? How much does that cost? What other sorts of
> things, particular to Miatas, bring an added cost to the owner?

Yes, the plastic window will eventually fail, as will the top at some
point. How long depends on whether it was covered from sunlight, how
often it was cleaned and polished, etc. The window will also crack if
you mess with it during freezing weather. The 1999+ miatas have glass
windows, my favorite improvement, but you won't find one of those for
anywhere around $3500.00 unless the car has major problems.
Also, there is always a chance that someone will slash your top, which
is never inexpensive to fix. A number of people here have dealt with
that, I have been lucky so far. This is obviously a problem that is
univeral to all ragtops.

> If I'm shopping for one, what are some of the particular weak spots on
> these cars I should look for, above and beyond the usual engine checks,
> tire checks, suspension checks and so on?

This link covers many details on buying a used miata.

http://miata.net/faq/usedmx5.html

> Also, in your experience, how much does it cost to insure a Miata in a
> major city if it's a female driver being insured?

The miata is a low cost, low horsepower car that is relatively
inexpensive to insure, especially the older ones.
I would guess that the rates would be similar to what you have paid on
the Hondas in the past.

> The reason I ask is that I've seen several of these cars in my price
> range (under $3500) but they are older cars. The car I'm giving up now
> was also older and in bad shape (compared to other cars of its age - a
> Honda at 136K miles is by no means an old car). I'd like not to spend
> thousands of dollars on repairs immediately if I can avoid it - I'd
> rather make a wise buy, of course.
>
> Anything else I should know?

I would check Carfax as well as having a mechanic look at it. Neither
one is perfect, but I think that it improves your chances of avoiding a
lemon.

> Thanks so much. I'm excited by the prospect of owning one of these cars!

Good luck!

Pat
Old September 23rd 05, 01:24 AM
Leon van Dommelen

I would add that the 1990 and early 1991 Miatas have a potential serious
problem with the crankshaft, especially when they get older or have just
had their timing belt changed. miata.net has the details in the garage
section.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 23rd 05, 08:49 PM
Zog The Undeniable

> Hi all, I am considering buying a Miata and I have several questions I
> hope you kind folks can answer.
>
> For the past decade I have driven Honda hatchbacks, which I like
> because they are reasonably small, durable, fuel-efficient vehicles
> that handle well. It sounds like the Miatas meet those characteristics
> -- and I am now looking for something smaller than the Hondas.
>
>>From consumer reviews I've read, the Miatas are also durable,

> long-running, reliable and reasonably fuel-efficient.
>
> Here's what I would like to know:
>
> How long is the average lifespan of a Miata? How much more can I expect
> to get out of one if I buy it at 100K miles? 125K? 150K? (I've seen
> some at nearly 200K). I know it depends on how it's been driven during
> those miles, but I'm trying to get a ballpark idea.

With plenty of long trips, maybe 200,000 is achievable from the Miata
(or MX-5 as they are called elsewhere). A town car might only make
100,000 without major expenditure.

> What are some of the unique expenditures Miata owners have to
> undertake? For example, I understand the back windows tend to fade and
> need replacing. How often? How much does that cost? What other sorts of
> things, particular to Miatas, bring an added cost to the owner?

Hoods last up to 10 years depending on whether the car is garaged or
not. Cloudy back windows can often be polished clear again. A complete
new hood is 400-500UKP fitted, so maybe 800-900 USD? Then again,
everything is cheaper in the US, isn't it?

Gear shift lever boots perish after only about 5 years but are cheap to
replace. There is a very expensive service at 54,000 miles which
includes a cambelt, transmission oils, fuel filter as well as a normal
"major" service.

> If I'm shopping for one, what are some of the particular weak spots on
> these cars I should look for, above and beyond the usual engine checks,
> tire checks, suspension checks and so on?

Any rust anywhere on the sills is bad news, so find a different car.
Look very carefully for crash damage and get a history check done, if
this is possible in the US. In the UK you can pay 40UKP and find out if
the car has ever suffered major damage or been written off and repaired.
Look at hood condition carefully, and put a hosepipe on it if the
owner allows to check for leaks. Make sure the pop-up lights work
simultaneously as new motors are a little pricey.

> Also, in your experience, how much does it cost to insure a Miata in a
> major city if it's a female driver being insured?

In the UK it can be prohibitively expensive unless the car is garaged.
That's how I came by mine; the previous owner moved to central London
and couldn't afford the premiums being asked. Car crime is much lower
in the US though. Insurers here are more concerned with theft or
vandalism than crash damage; the real hooligans don't tend to drive MX-5's!

> The reason I ask is that I've seen several of these cars in my price
> range (under $3500) but they are older cars. The car I'm giving up now
> was also older and in bad shape (compared to other cars of its age - a
> Honda at 136K miles is by no means an old car). I'd like not to spend
> thousands of dollars on repairs immediately if I can avoid it - I'd
> rather make a wise buy, of course.

The Mk1 (pop-up lights) is a purer sports car than the Mk2, and better
looking. There are plenty of 15 year old examples on the UK that look
factory-fresh. Just look out for rust and buy with your eyes, as they say.
Old September 24th 05, 12:27 AM

Thank you, Pat! The link you provided was especially handy.

Old September 26th 05, 03:32 PM
Iva

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
<snippage>

> With plenty of long trips, maybe 200,000 is achievable

from the Miata
> (or MX-5 as they are called elsewhere). A town car might

only make
> 100,000 without major expenditure.

And what causes you to make this statement? Several members
of our local club have over 200,000 miles on their Miatas
without "major expenditure" and without plenty of long
trips. My 1990 has over 103,000 right now with no major
expenditure on the engine, other than the 60,000
maintenance.

> Hoods last up to 10 years depending on whether the car is

garaged or
> not. Cloudy back windows can often be polished clear

again. A complete
> new hood is 400-500UKP fitted, so maybe 800-900 USD? Then

again,
> everything is cheaper in the US, isn't it?

Hoods lasting 10 years? Wait, do you mean "hood" as in the
front body part of the car covering the engine or "hood" as
in the conertible top? If you mean the convertible top,
okay, I'll go with that. I got my convertible top replaced
about 3 years back for under $700 US installed.

> Gear shift lever boots perish after only about 5 years but

are cheap to
> replace. There is a very expensive service at 54,000

miles which
> includes a cambelt, transmission oils, fuel filter as well

as a normal
> "major" service.

It's actually recommended at 60,000 miles. I replaced the
inner boots several years ago and on last check (this past
Saturday), they were still okay.

Just did a CAS o-ring replacement - had minor seepage there.
The old ring felt exactly like hard plastic rather than nice
flexible rubber - but it lasted 15 years.

--
Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

..

Old September 26th 05, 10:12 PM
XS11E

"Iva" > wrote in:

> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> <snippage>
>>
>> With plenty of long trips, maybe 200,000 is achievable from the Miata
>> (or MX-5 as they are called elsewhere). A town car might only make
>> 100,000 without major expenditure.

> And what causes you to make this statement?

Seems reasonable to me, most manufacturers list start and stop driving as
"severe" driving conditions. A general rule I've heard often is 30 minutes
should be the very shortest time an engine *should* run, 15 minutes for the
oil temperature to come up to the boiling point of water and 15 minutes
longer to boil off all the condensate.

Much in-town driving would result in trips shorter then 30 minutes, my drive
to work each day is around 15 minutes, trips to the store are usually 5
minutes or so.

I'm using the "severe" service recommendations for my cars because of the
driving that I do but I'm aware that the nature of my usage shortens the life
of my engine by some undetermined amount.