Do we really need to use "dri gas" anymore?

Old March 9th 18, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Do we really need to use "dri gas" anymore?

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 10:42:30 PM UTC-10, Steve W. wrote:
>> Show me a car that has a sealed system that actually runs. They are
>> all vented through the charcoal canister. Water vapor can still get
>> in as well as the amount that is already absorbed into the ethanol
>> in the gas.
>>
>> Dri-Gas can be helpful if you are using gas that has been stored a
>> while or that came from a store with low fuel sales. Or if you run
>> straight gas without ethanol like I do in all the small engines and
>> vehicles when possible.
>>
>> -- Steve W.

> There are valves in the fuel system to equalize tank pressure and the
> purge vapors from the charcoal canister. It's still a sealed system.

No it is not. You have a purge valve at one end that allows the engine
to pull the fuel vapor that is stored in the charcoal canister. At the
other end you have the canister VENT valve. The only time it closes is
when the system runs an EVAP test. The remainder of the time it is open
to allow the fuel tank to vent. The charcoal canister is in between the
tank and the vent valve. It's job is to capture the fuel vapor and keep
it from escaping out the vent into the atmosphere.

--
Steve W.
Old March 9th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 9:23:45 AM UTC-10, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 10:42:30 PM UTC-10, Steve W. wrote:
> >>
> >> Show me a car that has a sealed system that actually runs. They are all
> >> vented through the charcoal canister. Water vapor can still get in as
> >> well as the amount that is already absorbed into the ethanol in the gas.
> >>
> >> Dri-Gas can be helpful if you are using gas that has been stored a while
> >> or that came from a store with low fuel sales. Or if you run straight
> >> gas without ethanol like I do in all the small engines and vehicles when
> >> possible.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Steve W.

> > There are valves in the fuel system to equalize tank pressure and the purge vapors from the charcoal canister. It's still a sealed system.

> Air must enter the tank or it would collapse during fuel withdrawal.

You are 100% correct about that. That's why there's a valve in the fuel system to equalize tank pressure. My guess is that any air that enters the system through that route wouldn't contain much water vapor.
Old March 9th 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 11:50:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1 > wrote:

>On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 9:23:45 AM UTC-10, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>> > There are valves in the fuel system to equalize tank pressure and the purge vapors from the charcoal canister. It's still a sealed system.

>> Air must enter the tank or it would collapse during fuel withdrawal.

>You are 100% correct about that. That's why there's a valve in the fuel system to equalize tank pressure. My guess is that any air that enters the system through that route wouldn't contain much water vapor.

I live in northern Illinois.
I've used about 3 cans of Heet in my gas in over 50 years of driving. I guess just because
I was feeling frisky. Last time was probably 40 years ago. Never had any water problems.
Excepting a gas tank rusting through, but that from the outside, on the seams.
I've also used a few bottles of Techron, again because I felt like wasting a few bucks.
Never used Stabil for my yard equipment, and rarely drain the gas between seasons.
It might be luck in buying equipment with carbs that aren't prone to gumming up.
The only additives I've used with any effect are Seafoam equivalents to free stuck lifters.

Old March 9th 18, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 11:50:55 AM UTC-10, Vic Smith wrote:

> I live in northern Illinois.
> I've used about 3 cans of Heet in my gas in over 50 years of driving. I guess just because
> I was feeling frisky. Last time was probably 40 years ago. Never had any water problems.
> Excepting a gas tank rusting through, but that from the outside, on the seams.
> I've also used a few bottles of Techron, again because I felt like wasting a few bucks.
> Never used Stabil for my yard equipment, and rarely drain the gas between seasons.
> It might be luck in buying equipment with carbs that aren't prone to gumming up.
> The only additives I've used with any effect are Seafoam equivalents to free stuck lifters.

You guys on the mainland have it hard with your changing temperatures. I live in a tropical paradise so we don't need any of those little bottles. I have used fuel dryers when I was on the mainland. Beats me why I felt the need to use them. One problem with living in a tropical paradise is the we got roaches in the cars. On second thought, maybe you guys have it easy.

I have used Alumaseal since the 70's in the radiator as a prophylactic. I have used K&W Block Seal for a leaky head gasket - that worked out great for me. I've even used Techron - but who the heck doesn't? One thing I haven't used is moth balls in the gas tank. I might be gullible but not that gullible. Hee hee.