Replace Honda Civic console lock

Old May 11th 12, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
yong321

Default Replace Honda Civic console lock

The console lock (or armrest lock, part# 20 in
http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...b=B++3740&dl=#
) on my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid broke and the console lid stays up. I
bought a replacement. I didn't take a picture before I took the old
one off. Now I can't figure out what to place the free end of the lock
spring (part# 22 in the picture) against, so that the spring can force
the latch down and toward the back of the car to lock the console.

Here's a picture right now where I hold the lock:
http://yong321.freeshell.org/temp/ConsoleLock.jpg
The lower left is the front of the car (instead of upper right as in
the above diagram). The rod in the lock will go where the yellow line
is. The left red arrow points to one end of the spring that hooks into
the tiny hole on the lock. The right red arrow is the "free" end of
the spring. It needs a backing to push this end of the spring so the
front of the lock is pushed down (i.e. toward back of the car when the
lid is lowered). But I can't find anything to be used as a backing for
this "free" end.

Thanks for help.
Old May 12th 12, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On May 10, 11:08*pm, yong321 > wrote:
> The console lock (or armrest lock, part# 20 inhttp://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/view-honda-parts-catalog-detail.a...
> ) on my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid broke and the console lid stays up. I
> bought a replacement. I didn't take a picture before I took the old
> one off. Now I can't figure out what to place the free end of the lock
> spring (part# 22 in the picture) against, so that the spring can force
> the latch down and toward the back of the car to lock the console.
>
> Here's a picture right now where I hold the lock:http://yong321.freeshell..org/temp/ConsoleLock.jpg
> The lower left is the front of the car (instead of upper right as in
> the above diagram). The rod in the lock will go where the yellow line
> is. The left red arrow points to one end of the spring that hooks into
> the tiny hole on the lock. The right red arrow is the "free" end of
> the spring. It needs a backing to push this end of the spring so the
> front of the lock is pushed down (i.e. toward back of the car when the
> lid is lowered). But I can't find anything to be used as a backing for
> this "free" end.
>
> Thanks for help.

you could always find the same model in a local junk yard (assuming
you have the yards where you can walk through) and see how it's set up.
Old May 12th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
yong321

Thanks. Figured it out. The spring just needs to turn a little. The
"free" end should be placed against the back of the cover.
Old November 2nd 12, 05:58 PM
Jackie64 Jackie64 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yong321 View Post
Thanks. Figured it out. The spring just needs to turn a little. The
"free" end should be placed against the back of the cover.
Is there any chance you could post a picture of the spring in place? Did you use a tool to turn the spring? I am having the same problem.
Old November 10th 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:19:16 PM UTC-7, yong321 wrote:
> Thanks. Figured it out. The spring just needs to turn a little. The
>
> "free" end should be placed against the back of the cover.

I am having the same problem and I still can't figure it out from this description. Could somebody post a picture of the spring in place or give a more detailed description of how place the spring against which cover?
Old September 3rd 13, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Same thing with me please someone post a picture of how the spring goes to provide tension.

Thank you