Giulietta review in todays Grauniad

Old December 4th 10, 11:32 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

Default Giulietta review in todays Grauniad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology.../04/alfa-romeo
-giulietta-review

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old December 4th 10, 12:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage[_3_]

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology.../04/alfa-romeo
> -giulietta-review
>
> --
> Rob Pearson
> 156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)
> 164 V6 Lusso (gone)

The link was "broken" - oops, I thought, an ominous sign of things to come??

Anyway,

I found the review a tad lukewarm (continuing the saga of the thermostat ?)
but each to his own...

Personally, I think the car looks lovely (haven't had a chance to drive one
yet), couple of questions :

- as I recall, there's no footrest for your left foot , I would find this
annoying, anybody got an opinion on this

- what's the rearview vision like when you're driving it ?

Dave S...

Old December 4th 10, 02:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Dave Savage > wrote:

> "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology.../04/alfa-romeo
> > -giulietta-review
> >
> > --
> > Rob Pearson
> > 156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)
> > 164 V6 Lusso (gone)
> >

> The link was "broken" - oops, I thought, an ominous sign of things to come??
>
> Anyway,
>
> I found the review a tad lukewarm (continuing the saga of the thermostat ?)
> but each to his own...

The review told us nothing useful about the car at all.

> Personally, I think the car looks lovely (haven't had a chance to drive one
> yet), couple of questions :
>
> - as I recall, there's no footrest for your left foot , I would find this
> annoying, anybody got an opinion on this

I find it annoying in autos, not so much in manuals.

> - what's the rearview vision like when you're driving it ?

Probably about the same as most hatches out there these days - rubbish.

Looking at the specs, I'd pretty much decided we needed to wait for the
Cloverleaf to depreciate enough to replace the 156 - but now I reckon
the 1.4TB would be more than adequate for a daily driver.

I did play with the configurator the other day....

Pearl black 2.0JTD, Veloce spec, 5-hole alloys, pimp tits, Bose and a
few other trinkets pushed the price up to £28k.

Much as I love the car, I can think of many more cars out there I'd
spend my company allowance on - including <dons fireproof coat> the BMW
123d and 320d. You're getting dangerously close to Alpina D3 money
there, too. (For those who don't know, the Alpina D3 is the car BMW
should make, but don't - they take the 320d in MSport trim and stick the
123d twin-turbo lump in it)

--
SteveH
Old December 4th 10, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

SteveH spoke:
> Dave Savage > wrote:
>
> > "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology.../04/alfa-romeo
> > > -giulietta-review
> > >

> > Anyway,
> >
> > I found the review a tad lukewarm (continuing the saga of the thermostat ?)
> > but each to his own...

> The review told us nothing useful about the car at all.

The reviews in the Grauniad mag are always like this - although with most there
is *some* description of what the car is like - this just came across as just
another 'It's an Alfa, what more do you need to know?'

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old December 5th 10, 01:52 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:26:20 +0000, (SteveH)
wrote:

>Pearl black 2.0JTD, Veloce spec, 5-hole alloys, pimp tits, Bose and a
>few other trinkets pushed the price up to £28k.

Yep. You're getting toward the Clarkson-166 law where nobody will be
rich and/or brave enough to spend that money on any (small) Alfa. Mind
you, if any are bought, they'll be about 14 grand after a year.

When I was looking at a 159 2.4JTDm with sunroof, I found myself
staring, amazingly, at BMW/Audi money so I started looking at them.
BMWs seem to depreciate properly but Audis don't.

>Much as I love the car, I can think of many more cars out there I'd
>spend my company allowance on - including <dons fireproof coat> the BMW
>123d and 320d.

The engine is completely refined and the auto-box is the work of
genius. Traveling at 50mph in top, manual mode, down three gears (1
second delay per shift demand), constant accelerator, nobody would
notice other than the rev counter rising in lumps.

BUT..a dull 4 cylinder diesel drone when you can hear it. I'll have a
6 (or 5) any day.

The car I'd rather like BMW to build would be a *manual* version of
the twin turbo 335d M-Sport with a proper LSD not the
electronically-operated-brakes version. Probably a bit too close to an
M3 for BMW though.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)

one of todays jobs rob Auto Photos 1 February 27th 09 07:20 AM
todays MFFY.... Brent P[_1_] Driving 0 June 21st 07 02:47 PM
Todays New York Times [email protected] 4x4 1 March 17th 07 02:50 AM
Todays DAF Scott en Chicago Driving 6 October 30th 05 01:47 PM