Why are Germans electronically challenged?

Old August 7th 10, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Manco

Default Why are Germans electronically challenged?

If it is a product that involves electronics or software, and it's
from Germany, it is likely to look very good but be a buggy piece of
****.

Why is it so difficult for them to get electronics or software
engineering right?

Is the beer too strong?
Old August 8th 10, 07:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article >,
Manco > wrote:

> If it is a product that involves electronics or software, and it's
> from Germany, it is likely to look very good but be a buggy piece of
> ****.
>
> Why is it so difficult for them to get electronics or software
> engineering right?
>
> Is the beer too strong?

I think Germans tend to solve problems through precision manufacturing
while others try to solve problems through simplification.

Remember early VCRs? They had heavy cast aluminum frames reinforced
with hardened steel rods. All components were mounted on threaded
pillars to ensure absolute factory precision. Anything less perfect
caused the video tape to destructively wrinkle. Later VCRs could keep
the tape stable even with cheap plastic parts.
Old August 8th 10, 12:02 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Benjamin Gawert

On 07/08/2010 19:38, * Manco:

> If it is a product that involves electronics or software, and it's
> from Germany, it is likely to look very good but be a buggy piece of
> ****.

For example?

> Why is it so difficult for them to get electronics or software
> engineering right?
>
> Is the beer too strong?

More likely your idea of the world is overly simplistic (you're not
American by chance, are you?). FYI: only very little of the electronics
in Audis (or any other German car) is made in Germany. In fact, the
majority is designed and produced somewhere in eastern Europe or in Asia.

I can assure you that Germany can do electronics right (which they have
demonstrated many times in the past). However, in a world that is mainly
money-driven making these things in Germany is simply too expensive, so
most suppliers to the car industry have outsourced these things to
countries where the technical expertise isn't necessarily there yet.

The actual amount of electronics made in Germany in an Audi, VW, BMW or
Mercedes is probably around the same as for Toyotas, Hondas, Buicks,
Fords, Jaguars, or any other car brand.

Ben
Old August 8th 10, 04:03 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Manco

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:02:41 +0100, Benjamin Gawert >
wrote:

>On 07/08/2010 19:38, * Manco:
>
>> If it is a product that involves electronics or software, and it's
>> from Germany, it is likely to look very good but be a buggy piece of
>> ****.

>For example?

A lot of their musical equipment, for example the Access Virus TI.

>> Why is it so difficult for them to get electronics or software
>> engineering right?
>>
>> Is the beer too strong?

>More likely your idea of the world is overly simplistic (you're not
>American by chance, are you?).

No, I'm not American. Also I've worked with electrical and software
engineers from all over the globe and I see this recurring confusion
pattern every time I work with a German engineer. Sort of like the
confusion you're displaying in this thread, are you German by any
chance?
Old August 8th 10, 06:39 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Benjamin Gawert

On 08/08/2010 16:03, * Manco:

>>> If it is a product that involves electronics or software, and it's
>>> from Germany, it is likely to look very good but be a buggy piece of
>>> ****.

>> For example?

> A lot of their musical equipment, for example the Access Virus TI.

You mean this one?

"There aren’t many modern synths whose names are spoken with quiet
reverence by those who have played them – that honour is usually
reserved for vintage instruments. German company Access Music, though,
is one manufacturer with a product – the Virus – that enjoys
near-legendary status despite being relatively new. Released in 1997, it
quickly became a favourite with artists as diverse as Dr. Dre, Faithless
and even film composers like Danny Elfman and David Arnold. The
company’s latest offering, the Virus TI, represents a significant
evolution in the development of this much-loved instrument"[1]

Yeah, sounds completely like a garbage device to me. But I guess you
studied the schematics of this thingy extensively and can certainly
point me to specifics where the design is indeed a "buggy piece of ****"?

>>> Why is it so difficult for them to get electronics or software
>>> engineering right?
>>>
>>> Is the beer too strong?

>> More likely your idea of the world is overly simplistic (you're not
>> American by chance, are you?).

> No, I'm not American. Also I've worked with electrical and software
> engineers from all over the globe and I see this recurring confusion
> pattern every time I work with a German engineer. Sort of like the
> confusion you're displaying in this thread, are you German by any
> chance?

You mean the same confusion that you demonstrated by thinking that all
electronics in an Audi is made in Germany?

Ben, who works with engineers from different countries every day, and
long enough to know that the capablities and abilities in electronics
and software design are more down to the individuum and the education it
got than to the country of origin

[1] http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/reviews/virus-ti
Old August 8th 10, 07:44 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Manco

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 18:39:43 +0100, Benjamin Gawert >
wrote:

>On 08/08/2010 16:03, * Manco:

>>> For example?

>> A lot of their musical equipment, for example the Access Virus TI.

>You mean this one?
>
>"There aren’t many modern synths whose names are spoken with quiet
>reverence by those who have played them – that honour is usually
>reserved for vintage instruments. German company Access Music, though,
>is one manufacturer with a product – the Virus – that enjoys
>near-legendary status despite being relatively new. Released in 1997, it
>quickly became a favourite with artists as diverse as Dr. Dre, Faithless
>and even film composers like Danny Elfman and David Arnold. The
>company’s latest offering, the Virus TI, represents a significant
>evolution in the development of this much-loved instrument"[1]
>
>Yeah, sounds completely like a garbage device to me. But I guess you
>studied the schematics of this thingy extensively and can certainly
>point me to specifics where the design is indeed a "buggy piece of ****"?

Don't get me wrong, the Virus TI is a beautiful looking and sounding
synth, and as long as you play it solely as a live instrument and keep
things simple, you may not have many problems with it. Lots of
musicians keep it in their arsenal because it sounds fantastic.

But go to any user group and read about what happens whenever a person
tries to use the software to computer integration (the whole reason
the TI series was born) to get real production work done. Some days
it works, other days not. The software is very ambitious in what it
attempts to do, but fails to do it reliabily.

Lots of things that come out of Germany are aesthetically pleasing (or
otherwise appealing on the surface) but without exception, the moment
you begin expecting any level of reliability, you're in for wide scale
disappointment.

>>> More likely your idea of the world is overly simplistic (you're not
>>> American by chance, are you?).

>> No, I'm not American. Also I've worked with electrical and software
>> engineers from all over the globe and I see this recurring confusion
>> pattern every time I work with a German engineer. Sort of like the
>> confusion you're displaying in this thread, are you German by any
>> chance?

>You mean the same confusion that you demonstrated by thinking that all
>electronics in an Audi is made in Germany?

I never said all electronics in an Audi are made in Germany. You made
that assumption up completely out of thin air, because you are a
reading-comprehension challenged, German euro-trash douchebag.

If German autos are sending their electronics to Asia these days, why
do they seem unable to make them work reliably, while Asian
electronics on Asian cars are much more reliable?