motor control system failure

Old July 23rd 10, 08:51 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default motor control system failure

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:44:52 +0100, Jim > wrote:

>Managed to get the ecu scanned and that confirmed what I had
>discovered......the fault code was that of cylinder 3 not getting a
>squirt of fuel!
>
>Having tried to clean and improve the contact several times I now am
>slightly concerned because although I can get it running beautifully for
>a while the damn thing eventually reverts to the same problem. The fault
>code was cleared and remained clear for a while but returned just as
>soon as the contact 'let go' again. Anybody got a sure fire way of
>making an effing good contact between the two parts of the damned plug??
>Or am I barking up the wrong tree.....one begins to wonder.??

It could be that the cable itself is intermittent. Every time you
reseat/clean the connector, the disturbance allows the cable to work
for a while. If repeated cleaning/reseating doesn't work then I'd
suggest the problem isn't the connector or that the connector is no
longer serviceable (assuming you've not made an @rse of the cleaning).

How many miles are on the clock..is the injector past its best?

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old July 23rd 10, 08:58 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

On 23/07/2010 08:51, Zathras wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:44:52 +0100, > wrote:
>
>> Managed to get the ecu scanned and that confirmed what I had
>> discovered......the fault code was that of cylinder 3 not getting a
>> squirt of fuel!
>>
>> Having tried to clean and improve the contact several times I now am
>> slightly concerned because although I can get it running beautifully for
>> a while the damn thing eventually reverts to the same problem. The fault
>> code was cleared and remained clear for a while but returned just as
>> soon as the contact 'let go' again. Anybody got a sure fire way of
>> making an effing good contact between the two parts of the damned plug??
>> Or am I barking up the wrong tree.....one begins to wonder.??

> It could be that the cable itself is intermittent. Every time you
> reseat/clean the connector, the disturbance allows the cable to work
> for a while. If repeated cleaning/reseating doesn't work then I'd
> suggest the problem isn't the connector or that the connector is no
> longer serviceable (assuming you've not made an @rse of the cleaning).
>
> How many miles are on the clock..is the injector past its best?

Just tipped over the 40,000 miles mark....it's a spring chicken!

I've done nothing to render the connector useless...yet. I was
considering doing so but I had also wondered about a cable fault. The
way the thing is arranged you can only 'disturb' a very short length of
wire when 'jiggling' so if there's a break in it it should be fairly
accessible. How do I make such a diagnosis?? Any suggestions please?
Old July 23rd 10, 09:01 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:44:52 +0100, Jim > wrote:
>
>> Managed to get the ecu scanned and that confirmed what I had
>> discovered......the fault code was that of cylinder 3 not getting a
>> squirt of fuel!
>>
>> Having tried to clean and improve the contact several times I now am
>> slightly concerned because although I can get it running beautifully for
>> a while the damn thing eventually reverts to the same problem. The fault
>> code was cleared and remained clear for a while but returned just as
>> soon as the contact 'let go' again. Anybody got a sure fire way of
>> making an effing good contact between the two parts of the damned plug??
>> Or am I barking up the wrong tree.....one begins to wonder.??

> It could be that the cable itself is intermittent. Every time you
> reseat/clean the connector, the disturbance allows the cable to work
> for a while. If repeated cleaning/reseating doesn't work then I'd
> suggest the problem isn't the connector or that the connector is no
> longer serviceable (assuming you've not made an @rse of the cleaning).

Agreed.

> How many miles are on the clock..is the injector past its best?

IWHT that the connection is more likely. The injectors are quite cheap
though, £90 for four off ebay.

Can't see prices for the cables, though.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 23rd 10, 09:54 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Jim wrote:
> On 23/07/2010 08:51, Zathras wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:44:52 +0100, > wrote:
>>
>>> Managed to get the ecu scanned and that confirmed what I had
>>> discovered......the fault code was that of cylinder 3 not getting a
>>> squirt of fuel!
>>>
>>> Having tried to clean and improve the contact several times I now am
>>> slightly concerned because although I can get it running beautifully for
>>> a while the damn thing eventually reverts to the same problem. The fault
>>> code was cleared and remained clear for a while but returned just as
>>> soon as the contact 'let go' again. Anybody got a sure fire way of
>>> making an effing good contact between the two parts of the damned plug??
>>> Or am I barking up the wrong tree.....one begins to wonder.??

>> It could be that the cable itself is intermittent. Every time you
>> reseat/clean the connector, the disturbance allows the cable to work
>> for a while. If repeated cleaning/reseating doesn't work then I'd
>> suggest the problem isn't the connector or that the connector is no
>> longer serviceable (assuming you've not made an @rse of the cleaning).
>>
>> How many miles are on the clock..is the injector past its best?
>>

> Just tipped over the 40,000 miles mark....it's a spring chicken!
>
> I've done nothing to render the connector useless...yet. I was
> considering doing so but I had also wondered about a cable fault. The
> way the thing is arranged you can only 'disturb' a very short length of
> wire when 'jiggling' so if there's a break in it it should be fairly
> accessible. How do I make such a diagnosis?? Any suggestions please?

Replacement would probably be the only sensible way.

Old July 23rd 10, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

"jima" > wrote in message
> On Jul 21, 9:53 pm, R C Nesbit > wrote:
>> TonyB spoke:

>> > Hm. I can see what I have to look forward to now.
>> > Never had this trouble on the Land Rover ng,
>> > although Nige does tend to swear a bit.

>> Wine/Keyboard interface!
>>
>> I *really* hope we are talking the same Nige! (Ince)
>>
>> --
>> Rob Pearson
>> 156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)
>> 164 V6 Lusso (gone)

> Development. Am heading back today. I have discovered that if I remove
> the diesel pipe to the filter and then refit it she runs as normal for
> a while then reverts to lumpy running. Light stays on of course. Any
> more ideas?

I'll add my experience even though the above throws it a little....

I had intermittent misfires due to dodgy injector connectors (well, probably
just one but cure-all was applied) on my 147 - cured by securing connectors
with cable-tie to keep pressure on the mechanical connection. Fault started
at around 65k and car ran nicely through the next 100k miles so probably
didn't do any harm!

Oh, and hope to be back in the fold next year, new car required March....

Old July 23rd 10, 03:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Jim[_32_]

On 23/07/2010 14:50, cupra wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On Jul 21, 9:53 pm, R C > wrote:
>>> TonyB spoke:

>>> Wine/Keyboard interface!
>>>
>>> I *really* hope we are talking the same Nige! (Ince)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rob Pearson
>>> 156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)
>>> 164 V6 Lusso (gone)

>> Development. Am heading back today. I have discovered that if I remove
>> the diesel pipe to the filter and then refit it she runs as normal for
>> a while then reverts to lumpy running. Light stays on of course. Any
>> more ideas?

> I'll add my experience even though the above throws it a little....
>
> I had intermittent misfires due to dodgy injector connectors (well, probably
> just one but cure-all was applied) on my 147 - cured by securing connectors
> with cable-tie to keep pressure on the mechanical connection. Fault started
> at around 65k and car ran nicely through the next 100k miles so probably
> didn't do any harm!
>
> Oh, and hope to be back in the fold next year, new car required March....

Hi,

It turns out it was number 3 cylinder injector connector. I have modded
it and for now it works ok. If it happens again, I will try you
solution. Thanks for your input and good luck with the new car.
Old July 24th 10, 08:14 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Jim wrote:
> On 23/07/2010 14:50, cupra wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Development. Am heading back today. I have discovered that if I remove
>>> the diesel pipe to the filter and then refit it she runs as normal for
>>> a while then reverts to lumpy running. Light stays on of course. Any
>>> more ideas?

>> I'll add my experience even though the above throws it a little....
>>
>> I had intermittent misfires due to dodgy injector connectors (well,
>> probably
>> just one but cure-all was applied) on my 147 - cured by securing
>> connectors
>> with cable-tie to keep pressure on the mechanical connection. Fault
>> started
>> at around 65k and car ran nicely through the next 100k miles so probably
>> didn't do any harm!
>>
>> Oh, and hope to be back in the fold next year, new car required
>> March....
>>

> Hi,
>
> It turns out it was number 3 cylinder injector connector. I have modded
> it and for now it works ok. If it happens again, I will try you
> solution. Thanks for your input and good luck with the new car.

Good stuff.

Old July 25th 10, 08:36 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
cupra

"Jim" > wrote in message
> On 23/07/2010 14:50, cupra wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Development. Am heading back today. I have discovered that if I remove
>>> the diesel pipe to the filter and then refit it she runs as normal for
>>> a while then reverts to lumpy running. Light stays on of course. Any
>>> more ideas?

>> I'll add my experience even though the above throws it a little....
>>
>> I had intermittent misfires due to dodgy injector connectors (well,
>> probably
>> just one but cure-all was applied) on my 147 - cured by securing
>> connectors
>> with cable-tie to keep pressure on the mechanical connection. Fault
>> started
>> at around 65k and car ran nicely through the next 100k miles so probably
>> didn't do any harm!
>>
>> Oh, and hope to be back in the fold next year, new car required March....
>>

> Hi,
>
> It turns out it was number 3 cylinder injector connector. I have modded it
> and for now it works ok. If it happens again, I will try you solution.
> Thanks for your input and good luck with the new car.

No probs - hope your mod suceeds!