SPS spark plug wires and Bosch Platinum +4

Old January 12th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ted Wong

Default SPS spark plug wires and Bosch Platinum +4

I installed SPS performance spark plug wires and Bosch Platinum +4
plugs about 20K miles ago. Everything seems to be working fine, but I
realized recently that I never checked whether or not the plugs and
wires were resistively matched. Also, I'm fairly sure that the plug gap
is different from the spec.

So:

1. If I haven't been noticing any problems with radio RF interference,
should I stop worrying?

2. Should I change the plugs for Platinum +4s that are gapped to the
spec?

3. What is the typical replacement interval for a plug wire? For plugs?
The wires have a "limited lifetime warranty", and the plugs have a 100K
mile replacement interval, I think.

Thanks,

Ted
1996 Black-Gold SC2

Old January 13th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article . com>,
says...
> I installed SPS performance spark plug wires and Bosch Platinum +4
> plugs about 20K miles ago. Everything seems to be working fine, but I
> realized recently that I never checked whether or not the plugs and
> wires were resistively matched. Also, I'm fairly sure that the plug gap
> is different from the spec.
>
> So:
>
> 1. If I haven't been noticing any problems with radio RF interference,
> should I stop worrying?

Interference or not doesnt mean a thing if you have a dead plug or wire.

> 2. Should I change the plugs for Platinum +4s that are gapped to the
> spec?

You dont gap Bosch plugs... You pitch them. +2's, +4's, Splitfires etc
etc are 100% pure gimmick and all Bosch spark plugs just suck. They are
easily fouled and the platinum tips fall out. The 100k mile warranty is
a joke. One set pays for the next two sets you will trade in way before
that.

> 3. What is the typical replacement interval for a plug wire? For plugs?
> The wires have a "limited lifetime warranty", and the plugs have a 100K
> mile replacement interval, I think.

This varies greatly. Best to do visual inspections every so often.
This is basically a rehash of things I've said here before...

Get an ohm meter and ALWAYS check to make sure the wires you get are
good! I have gotten many many bad ones right out of the box. The name
brand of wires honestly does not matter. The resistance and long term
condition does. The resistance of the wires for a S-series Saturn should
be no greater than 12,000 OHMS (12k ohms). If you tug, bend, or look at
your wires wrong they could be damaged so if in doubt check the
resistance again.

Buy some Dielectric or Silicon grease, if none comes with the wire set,
and apply it to the insides of the spark plug boots. This will prevent
corrosion and keep the boots from sticking.

(Compression Sense Timing depends greatly upon good plugs, wires, and
their connection.)

Wires should be replaced at the same time as the plugs or sooner if they
are in poor shape. If you aren't careful in routing them something can
and will rub through the insulation in a short period of time. Carefully
adding wire looms over the plug wires in area's highly prone to chafing
will protect them.

There are only two types of spark plugs I recommend. AC Delco and
Autolite both in Double Platinum since this is a "Waste Spark" Ignition
System. Some here swear by NGK.

Double Platinum plugs should last 80k miles.
Non platinum plugs last about 30k tops.
(Depends on how often they spark, not how far you drive.)

The original spec for Spark Plug Gaps on S-Series Saturn's was .060"
It was later changed to .040" and this is in all the parts books now.
I have read where some had noticed an impact on fuel economy with this
change...Unconfirmed though.

And as always apply a little Anti Seize compound on the upper threads of
the spark plug.

Old January 14th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
nofalt

> > 2. Should I change the plugs for Platinum +4s that are gapped to the
> > spec?

> You dont gap Bosch plugs... You pitch them. +2's, +4's, Splitfires etc
> etc are 100% pure gimmick and all Bosch spark plugs just suck. They are
> easily fouled and the platinum tips fall out. The 100k mile warranty is
> a joke. One set pays for the next two sets you will trade in way before
> that.

I have to agree with this one...Bosch is not what it says.

> There are only two types of spark plugs I recommend. AC Delco and
> Autolite both in Double Platinum since this is a "Waste Spark" Ignition
> System. Some here swear by NGK.
> Double Platinum plugs should last 80k miles.
> Non platinum plugs last about 30k tops.
> (Depends on how often they spark, not how far you drive.)

The Saturns don't like the platinums at all. They seem to last for
about 5-8K and start to get very fouled due to the waste spark.

> The original spec for Spark Plug Gaps on S-Series Saturn's was .060"
> It was later changed to .040" and this is in all the parts books now.
> I have read where some had noticed an impact on fuel economy with this
> change...Unconfirmed though.

Yes this was an experiment with Saturn. They did change it back
although there are still stickers out there that say the old gaping.
All and all get rid of the platinums and go back to the NGKs or Delco
and you should be fine (of course after checking the wire like
mentioned above that is)

Old January 14th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ted Wong

BläBlä wrote:
> There are only two types of spark plugs I recommend. AC Delco and
> Autolite both in Double Platinum since this is a "Waste Spark" Ignition
> System. Some here swear by NGK.
>
> Double Platinum plugs should last 80k miles.
> Non platinum plugs last about 30k tops.
> (Depends on how often they spark, not how far you drive.)

Well, looks like it's time to change the plugs. I'll check the wires
with a multimeter.

Thanks,

Ted
1996 Black-Gold SC2

Old January 15th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
nofalt

<<Who the hell feed you that crap? Waste spark causes wear to the outer

electrode, not fouling. (Hence why you should buy double platinum over
single platinum.) If you want to argue fouling find another excuse than

"waste spark". Nearly everything GM made with Waste Spark ignition uses

double platinum plugs pre installed from the factory without issue. If
you cant get the plugs I mentioned to last more than 60,000 miles then
you have other issues.>>

I am soooo glad that you are fortunate to have good luck with the
double plats, really I am. Now with additude you display are you
trying to convince me or yourself that the more money you spend the
better they are?? I wasn't presenting an argument at all. I was simply
passing on information compliled from a very informative, invaluable
websight on Saturns. If you hit the www.satrunfans.com websight then
you can read all the testomonies about people and the problems they
have had with the plats. I don't claim to know a thing...which I am
sure you will agree, again I was simply passing on info.
Again let me re-state I am glad you are fortunate to have good luck
with any Plats.

Old January 17th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

> I am glad that you are fortunate to have good luck with the
> double plats, really I am. Now with additude you display are you
> trying to convince me or yourself that the more money you spend the
> better they are??

Define better because at no point did I make such a statement. However
the few bucks more you spend on platinums the more money and time you
will save in the long term. If that is what you mean by better then yes
they are better.

> I wasn't presenting an argument at all. I was simply
> passing on information compliled from a very informative, invaluable
> websight on Saturns. If you hit the www.satrunfans.com websight then
> you can read all the testomonies about people and the problems they
> have had with the plats. I don't claim to know a thing...which I am

Yes I've been to that site many times. And other people there have had
no issues running platinums. I've also see those few people who said
problems were caused by "waste spark"... You should question their
credibility if that's what they think their problems stem from.

> sure you will agree, again I was simply passing on info.
> Again let me re-state I am glad you are fortunate to have good luck
> with any Plats.

Just to be clear I asked who feed you that crap, at no point did I say
you were full of crap. You can pass on information but if it is faulty I
am going to challenge it. Northstars, 3800's, 3100's, 3400's, etc etc
etc all have had Waste Spark ignition systems with Double Platinum plugs
from the factory. I can't remember replacing any of the factory double
platinum plugs in them any sooner than 70k miles. So I guess GM has also
had a lot of "luck" with them as well. ;-)
Old January 17th 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
nofalt

BTW I like your screen name. No you are absolutly correct on GM running
Plats. Ironicly I run them in my 98 3800 Lumina. I do like them. I
am taking the word of several others that the Saturns just don't like
them...well okay the older Saturns whne GM stayed their distance. I
was yanking a little chain on you on the last post about the cost to
continue the discussion. You answered quite well and I thank you :~)
Thanks for the discussion.
Rob

Old September 1st 16, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
zronmm

replying to nofalt, zronmm wrote:
I am an ACFT Technician and have owned 3 now, an SL-1, SW-2 and now I've
bought an LS2. Regardless ALL piston engine aircraft engines use 4 electrode
plugs and have since WWII (it prevents FOULING!) Antilock brakes, fly by wire,
autopilot, authorize have worked great on aircraft for years; luckily we don't
have any of these NUISANCES on any automobiles, do we?

--
for full context, visit http://www.motorsforum.com/saturn/sp...m-4-17015-.htm

Old January 21st 07, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ted Wong

BläBlä wrote:
> Get an ohm meter and ALWAYS check to make sure the wires you get are
> good! I have gotten many many bad ones right out of the box. The name
> brand of wires honestly does not matter. The resistance and long term
> condition does. The resistance of the wires for a S-series Saturn should
> be no greater than 12,000 OHMS (12k ohms). If you tug, bend, or look at
> your wires wrong they could be damaged so if in doubt check the
> resistance again.

I measured the SPS wires I have again. Wire 4 is 367 Ohms, Wire 1 is
597 Ohms. Haven't yet measured Wires 2 and 3. Assuming that I'm not
measuring the resistance incorrectly (put one multimeter probe in one
end of the wire, and the other probe in the other end), should I be
worried about very low resistance? A visual check of the wires while
the engine is running indicates that there's no arcing along wires,
i.e., no worn insulation.

I just got a pack of Autolite double-platinums. If the wires are still
good, I'll keep the wires and just replace the sparks.

Regards,

Ted
1996 Black-Gold SC2

No power, rough idle Roy[_1_] Saturn 13 October 28th 06 01:47 AM
93 Ford Explorer Spark Plug Change [email protected] Ford Explorer 5 August 31st 06 02:57 AM
camshaft positon sensor A bank 1 vita Saturn 2 June 4th 06 10:06 AM
91 Toyota Camry... Need help with spark plug diagnosis Al Kondo Technology 2 December 4th 05 04:31 PM