bumpy US roads and sporty cars

Old December 30th 05, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default bumpy US roads and sporty cars

While driving from SF Bay Area to Las Vegas and back I run over several
bumps which where too deep for my not to sporty Golf GTI
-- the suspension of this car is much too soft for a sporty car while harder
than the average car sold in the US.
But there are people driving real sporty cars in the US -- sporty in a sense
that they have a hard suspension.
How do these people deal with bumpy US roads -- are they driving their cars
only on Sundays on well known roads without bumps?
Or are they accepting damage to their cars caused by overlooking a bump?
I also don't understand that people in the US accept such bumpy roads.
Can I sue the matching local government for damage caused by such a bump
which has not been warned about?

Old December 30th 05, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Frank Puck wrote:
> While driving from SF Bay Area to Las Vegas and back I run over several
> bumps which where too deep for my not to sporty Golf GTI
> -- the suspension of this car is much too soft for a sporty car while harder
> than the average car sold in the US.
> But there are people driving real sporty cars in the US -- sporty in a sense
> that they have a hard suspension.
> How do these people deal with bumpy US roads -- are they driving their cars
> only on Sundays on well known roads without bumps?
> Or are they accepting damage to their cars caused by overlooking a bump?
> I also don't understand that people in the US accept such bumpy roads.

It's just a fact of life, kinda like death and taxes. (at least in
Pennsylvania...) "Pothole dodging" is a skill that you acquire, when
you haven't known any better roads all your life.

> Can I sue the matching local government for damage caused by such a bump
> which has not been warned about?

It's possible; whether you have any luck with it or not is another
issue. You may want to try simply asking the local gov't if they will
cover damages if you have documentation of your situation. I know of at
least one person who got a new windshield, no questions asked, when they
reported it being cracked by a semi truck driving on a freshly
tar-and-chipped road. (Tar and chips is basically heavy oil laid down
over old asphalt, followed by some fine pea gravel. It's truly evil to
drive on for a couple weeks, but after the gravel gets worked into the
old road surface it actually makes for a really nice road. Fairly
common annual maintenance in semi-rural PA where I grew up, not sure if
anyone else does that or not.) What happened that caused damage to your
car?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 30th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> anyone else does that or not.) What happened that caused damage to your
> car?

I'm talking about potential damage to a sporty car caused by passing over a
bump which had no warning sign posted.

Old December 30th 05, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:18:14 GMT, "Frank Puck"
> wrote:

>While driving from SF Bay Area to Las Vegas and back I run over several
>bumps which where too deep for my not to sporty Golf GTI
>-- the suspension of this car is much too soft for a sporty car while harder
>than the average car sold in the US.
>But there are people driving real sporty cars in the US -- sporty in a sense
>that they have a hard suspension.
>How do these people deal with bumpy US roads -- are they driving their cars
>only on Sundays on well known roads without bumps?
>Or are they accepting damage to their cars caused by overlooking a bump?
>I also don't understand that people in the US accept such bumpy roads.
>Can I sue the matching local government for damage caused by such a bump
>which has not been warned about?

I would sue your parents. They should have taught you better troll
skills.
Old December 31st 05, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:42:08 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>Frank Puck wrote:

>It's just a fact of life, kinda like death and taxes. (at least in
>Pennsylvania...) "Pothole dodging" is a skill that you acquire, when
>you haven't known any better roads all your life.

Nate. His name is Frank Puck Get it. Prank ****...

Man, your troll meter should be sent in for repair.
Old December 31st 05, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

I really have this problem.
I'm t hinking about spending 60K on a nice car with hard suspension (Audi
S4)
-- but then I think also that my current car is already to hard for these
roads.
So how do other people deal with these problems?

. net...

Old December 31st 05, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

and if you drive an SUV or a track or a US car which looks and drives like a
sofa you may not even be aware of this problem

. com...

Old January 3rd 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> How do these people deal with bumpy US roads -- are they driving their cars
> only on Sundays on well known roads without bumps?

I have an 86 vette, and you just plow over them, dodging them when you
can. Then you learn to avoid certain roads if it's really bad.

I rarely venture into Detroit (I'm in the burbs), but the computer in
the car BROKE when I hit an unbelievable pot hole at night on I-75 in
Detroit. I couldn't believe that it didn't throw the car out of
alignment or blow a tire. The car would sometimes start, sometimes
not. Ended up being a cracked PC board.

> Or are they accepting damage to their cars caused by overlooking a bump?
> I also don't understand that people in the US accept such bumpy roads.

It's gotta be a union thing. It takes FOREVER to rebuild or replace a
road here in SE Michigan. It took them OVER A YEAR to widen a major
interchange off i-75. ONE YEAR.

> Can I sue the matching local government for damage caused by such a bump
> which has not been warned about?

You can sue whoever you like, but you won't win.

Old January 3rd 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

> >I also don't understand that people in the US accept such bumpy roads.
>
> The same reason we accept the fact that there aren't enough roads to
> meet the demand: we're too goddamn cheap to pay for anything better.

You spelled "wasteful" as "cheap".

Local and state goverments blow so much money on crap engineering and
constrution methods, why would you want to spend more of your money on
such wasteful practices?